Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Euro 2008

Balsa

Mar 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I will say hi to Bob for you Regs :)

Maybe he will be making that call next season in Masters.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just watching the Spain/Russia replay and what a GREAT ball from Torres to set up the first goal!

And Lion...of course flopping is part of the game and unfortunately has decided too many games for decades (and decades in the future I'm sure). And to us 'hockey watching fcuks' out there could you please list me some other sports where grown men feign fouls and injury to gain advantage? I'll just run through a few sports that come to my mind and put them to the test:

hockey - big time floppers
football - softies all of them
rugby - PUSSIES!
baseball - big floppers
basketball - divers all of them
tennis - Borg used to flop to his knees after winning Wimbledon

The list goes on and on...so Ms Lion thank you for explaining that flopping is part of the sport and we should just accept it. Sadly, I have accepted it. Sadly, that's sad. For the record, England doesn't win anything because they lack the talent and your Italian floppers are loaded with it. An attempt to clean it up could be made if refs carded diving consistently...in my dreams.

As for the offside I thought he was clearly off until the actual rule was explained. It sounds like it was clear to the officials and not clear to the Italian defenders...and who's fault is that? Coaches I'm thinking. Rewriting the rules doesn't need to happen...coaching the situation is what needs to happen. The quadruple takes from the Dutch players after the goal to see if the linesman's flag was actually staying down means they didn't know about the rule either.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Last comment on the Dutch / Italy game .......

Unfortunately for the Italians (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it ;) ), the controversial offside decision was applied correctly. Personally, I think FIFA needs to look at the law as I find it hard to punish the defending team in this instance. This opens up the door for every player in every league in the world to TTP out of the law and I can guarantee you it'll happen - I can see half the guys in the VMSL trying it next year :D

ps - Balsa, hard to have Bob as a mentor as he's never been to or assessed one of my games !! :D

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Make that a 3-1 resounding win by the Pork and Cheese.

Ronaldo with a goal, and supposedly set up Quaresma for the third when he could have gone for goal himself.

C-Ron with what I read is his 47th in all competitions this year :eek:

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bandcamp,

I am happy that you have "sadly" accepted diving.
As you said, it has been around forever, and will continue.

As your list goes, how can you even compare, football, and Rugby to the beautiful game. And not even going to get in to Baseball. PLEASE!!
You can't compare any of those games. TOTALLY different.

Isn't one of the best players in hockey, Crosby, critisized for diving sometimes?
As well as the best player in Soccer, Ronaldo?

This is the WORLDS game. Not just N.Americas. I am sure if you polled more then just N.Americans, the whole "flopping" and "diving" complaint would not be too big of an issue.
As a N.American, we/you are watching games like, Hockey, Football, etc... and try to compare and incorperate it in our soccer knowledge and skill.
Ask the continent of Europe or S.America? have you watched any of their soccer leagues? (especially the Argenitnes)
And those countries seem to be a bit better at the BEAUTIFUL GAME then us up here. no?

Now we all know the offside rules on that play. As FIFA had to go deep in the books for it. Its a weird one. I've accepted it. As I have accepted the Worlds game for what it is. Not letting the other sports around me make me beleive that going down and looking for a foul is wrong.

Some do it more then others,
Some have 4 stars.

Some just don't get it.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some have never beaten Croatia either.... :D

And some are just happy to beat Italy and have zero Champiionships.

I would glady have another loss to Croatia for another Euro or World Cup.

Re: The Dutch /Italy Game
Watching some ESPN ...they brought up some precedent from three years ago whereas the offensive player was off the end line and FIFA deemed him to 'not in the play' therefore not in an offside position.
Anyone else see the debate?

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
they brought up some precedent from three years ago whereas the offensive player was off the end line and FIFA deemed him to 'not in the play' therefore not in an offside position.
Anyone else see the debate?

No I didn't, are we still talking about this goal?

Offensive players have to be "in the play" to be offside. Therefore they can step off the pitch, intentionally or not. Defensive players cannot step off the pitch to MAKE an offensive player offside. The official has the right to rule whether or not the defender can get back into the play or is part of the play.

In the case of the Italians, it is possible...but only possible that the official thought that the defender was in fact faking an injury and could have rejoined the play.. ;)

The linesperson however should have raised his flag anyhow, had he been in position and it would have been up to the referee to decide.

This info courtesy LFC123 whom I plagiarized.... so don't quote me word for word... But it apparently came via an senior official

Either way... I expect some fireworks in games to come!

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Swiss get a goal because of the torrential downpour...Yakin converts an idle ball in a puddle...

Rain stops and Turkeys seals a 2-1 win in the 91st Minute :eek:

The swiss are the first team mathematically eliminated from the tourney, and on their own soggy soil to boot.

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The swiss are the first team mathematically eliminated from the tourney, and on their own soggy soil to boot.

Yes.... not much finishing from the Swiss, including a 3 on 1 that they blew.

That field will be tragic should the rain not let up.... It was looking pretty beaten.

So who else will move on from Group A between Czech and Turkey? and whats the Tie breaker should their be a tie? (They are also tied in Goal diff I believe). Should be a good match?

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Make that a 3-1 resounding win by the Pork and Cheese.

Ronaldo with a goal, and supposedly set up Quaresma for the third when he could have gone for goal himself.

C-Ron with what I read is his 47th in all competitions this year :eek:

Its true Mr MVP/Futboler of the year could have had two but unselfishly passed it. Portugal is getting stronger and stronger:bronco:

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would think they would go to peno's...or a coin toss...

surely not away goals :rolleyes: we all know what happens when Turkey lose on Away Goals, just ask the Swiss... :D :D

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Swiss get a goal because of the torrential downpour...Yakin converts an idle ball in a puddle...

Rain stops and Turkeys seals a 2-1 win in the 91st Minute :eek:

Did anyone catch the donkey playing goal for the Swiss Cheese? That play reminded my of Geu verus ACBC and Odog making no effort for a shot that he thought was going over and went in and funny enough it was the winning goal to. Maybe the swiss keeper is hurt and needs 32 months off for major surgery (a knee scope).

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is actually PK's if tied Sub. I don't see a draw though as the Czechs looked better today and if they start with Koller (whom they brought on too late today) and Baros they will win and advance.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As your list goes, how can you even compare, football, and Rugby to the beautiful game. And not even going to get in to Baseball. PLEASE!!
You can't compare any of those games. TOTALLY different.

Some just don't get it.

Lion - I do get it...but do you? I think it's safe to say that 99% of the posters on this site would list soccer as their favourite sport. But to say you can't compare soccer to other sports? Why? One has a diving culture and ALL the others do not (thanks for the Crosby reference as that's taking isolated players/incidents and trying to support your case). Soccer has a CULTURE of this behaviour and no other sport does. I don't like baseball either but to shoot it down as a comparison? It's just another sport without that culture...the list is long, international or not. Can you imagine rugby players acting like soccer players? That would be hilarious to watch. Would be the longest 80 minute game ever :D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Diving isn't necessarily accepted the world over. Otherwise you wouldn't have a supposed 'crack-down' on it and new directives/rules put in place to curb it (automatic cautions for 'simulation').

The problem now is that the referees hardly ever give the cards when everyone else knows it is a dive. But is that really surprising? Our game suffers because the refs can't pull the finger out. I blame Walks. And WhiteBlower. And PNE.

Hi Rene!

:D

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Picked this up on another site.....

Tie-breaker rules

POINT SYSTEM :
Three points for a win, one point for a draw, and no points for defeat.

TIE-BREAKER RULES :
If two or more teams finish equal on points after all the group matches have been played, the following criteria will be applied to determine the ranking :

(a) Greater number of points obtained in the matches between the teams in question.

(b) Goal difference resulting from the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal).

(c) Greater number of goals scored in the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal).

(d) Goal difference in all the group matches.

(e) Greater number of goals scored in all the group matches.

(f) Coefficient of points from the last two qualifying competitions for the final rounds of the 2006 World Cup and Euro 2008 (points gained and divided by the number of matches played).

(g) Fair Play conduct of the teams (final tournament).

(h) A drawing of lots by the Organising Committee.

There is no need to apply criteria (g) & (h) at this year's championship because the only teams with equal coefficient under criteria (f) are teams of Romania & Germany (ranked 5.), Greece & Poland (ranked 10.) and then Russia & Turkey (ranked 13.) - teams that were drawn into different groups anyway.

Ranking and coefficients for all 16 teams when applying criteria (f) :

1. 2.417 - Holland

2. 2.409 - Croatia

3. 2.364 - Italy

4. 2.333 - Czech Republic

5. 2.273 - Sweden

6. 2.250 - Romania

6. 2.250 - Germany

8. 2.192 - Portugal

9. 2.182 - Spain

10. 2.167 - Greece

10. 2.167 - Poland

12. 2.091 - France

13. 1.958 - Russia

13. 1.958 - Turkey

15. 1.800 - Switzerland

16. 1.500 - Austria

Criteria (a) to (h) above are not applicable under these circumstances :
If two teams meeting in one of the last group matches have the same number of points, the same goal difference and the same number of goals, and if this match stands at a draw at the end of normal time, then the ranking of these two teams will be determined by kicks from the penalty spot, provided no other teams within the group have the same number of points on completion of all group matches.

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is actually PK's if tied Sub

Interesting.

EURO WEBSITE said:
Shoot-out chance
The Czech Republic lost 3-1 to Portugal on Wednesday evening and then Turkey beat Switzerland 2-1 – both after added-time goals. That leaves the Czech Republic and Turkey level on points, goal difference and goals scored, and according to Article 7.08 in the official 2008 UEFA European Championship regulations, in that instance, if the two equal teams are playing in the last game, their match is decided by spot-kicks after 90 minutes should it finish level.

What would be interesting is if the two teams that were tied were not playing each other.... shamefull way to lose.

BJB thanks for the research.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts