Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Euro 2004: Post match analysis

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unlucky to the WWInstigators. If they spent as much time preparing for Latvia as they did to taking over the Sudetenland, they might have won that game. That's a shame.

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ouch. The Dutch are in trouble with that loss. Only saw the second half, but it looked to me like Czech Rep. deserve full credit for coming back from the 2-0 deficit. As well, one of Van Nistilroy's (sp?) goals should not have been IMO.

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Skip said:
Ouch. The Dutch are in trouble with that loss. Only saw the second half, but it looked to me like Czech Rep. deserve full credit for coming back from the 2-0 deficit. As well, one of Van Nistilroy's (sp?) goals should not have been IMO.

The look on Van Nistelroys face after the game was magic :D

Today’s Czech Rep. vs Holland game was a cracker for anyone who was a neutral. A little bit of everything was in this one, missed chances, great saves, shots of the woodwork, a sending off, and through it all, the most entertaining game of the tourney.

In the first half, I thought Holland created a lot of chances and should have been up by more at half. Credit to the Czechs who managed to pull one back, and not letting their heads drop after going down 2 in the first 20 minutes.

In the early stages of the second half, I thought Holland were unlucky once again not to have buried. Holland’s pace seemed to slow down considerably during the second and once Advocat (sp?) realized his team weren’t pressuring much upfront, he went into that defensive shell we have all come to see. The Czechs tied it up again on a well worked play and even better finish. This then forces the Dutch late on to push forward for the win, leaving them open at the back. The end result, being caught out and punished with 2 minutes to go.

MOTM in IMO was Pavel Nedved. This guy was all over the park today causing havoc, making runs and creating chances for himself and others. Honourable mention has to go to both keepers, who kept their teams in the game at crucial times.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The best game of the tourney!!! Great saves, great goals, ened to end action what a game.

The only down side to the game was the reffing I thought he was brutal! Anyways a brilliant match!

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Zenga and CIC are spot on - great game, awful officiating. Nedved was pure class although I thought Koller deserved some credit for scoring the first and setting up Baros' brilliant game-tying tally. They must have something in the Prague water to create such remarkably skilled (and coordinated) big men with Koller in football and Zdeno Chara in hockey.

The Dutch were denied a clear-cut penalty when Van Niss was mugged in the first half, and I still have no idea why Heitinga was sent off. That second yellow was a travesty. That being said, Van Niss was miles offside on the second Dutch goal, which sporting-life.com described in the following fashion:

The ball is fed to Robben in a wide position on the left with van Nistelrooy standing in the penalty area 20 yards offside. The Chelsea-bound winger runs on and squares to van Nistelrooy who slides past the helpless Cech. A goal which makes a mockery of the offside rule and the state of the modern game at large.

Hyperbole. Hard lines Holland.

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ever since FIFA changed the new offside rule a can of worms has opened up. This is the second time Van Nistelrooy has scored a goal like that, the first was against Southampton. Basically if Ruud gets himself onside again which he did then he can put it in. The Czechs basically had no chance to catch him since they were playing the trap and the baby scored. Why do all the new rules have to give attackers a great advantage like that. I understand if he's a step offside but 10 yards. Go back to the old rules or let the linesman/ref decide if the advantage is too much.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CDK said:
Zdeno Chara's from Slovakia.

Fair enough. Chara is from Trencin. Of course, prior to 1993 both were unified under the former Czechoslovakia (who's federal capital was Prague). After the split, both were fixtures in the Czech Republic as Chara played Junior hockey at Sparta Praha while Koller started his professional career at Sparta Prague (where he was a clubmate of Pavel Nedved).

So maybe I should rephrase and say I find it interesting that the former Czechoslovakia bred two uber-freaks who are massive in stature yet remarkably skilled and coordinated.

You'll make an excellent copy editor one day, Seedy.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll start one up now... I believe Fastshow needs to stay away from the bookie events though as he may be cokcing it up :rolleyes:

:D

~Regs.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Simple Table for who and how teams go through to Quarters. If your Italian, simple thing is a win by italy and either the Danes or Swedes. Otherwise, get your calculators out.

Group B

France: Only need a draw with Switzerland to go through. Victory would guarantee top place in the group. Defeat would see Switzerland move above them in the table, and France would be eliminated if either Croatia or England were also to win.

England: A point will guarantee the runners-up spot in the group. They can top the group with victory over Croatia, should France fail to beat Switzerland. They can also top the group with a draw if France were to lose. Defeat would mean elimination.

Croatia: Have to beat England to qualify. They can top the group should France fail to win and Croatia win by a scoreline of 2-0 or greater.

Switzerland: Must beat France to have any chance of making the last eight. They will go through should either Croatia or England win, but if that game finishes level, then Switzerland would have to beat France by three goals to progress.

Group C

Sweden: Only need a draw with Denmark to qualify as group winners. Defeat would still see them qualify if Italy failed to beat Bulgaria.

Denmark: Will definitely go through should they win or draw 2-2, or higher, with Sweden. Defeat would still see them qualify if Italy failed to beat Bulgaria. See 'Italy' for other draw permutations.

Italy: Must beat Bulgaria to stand any chance of making the knockout stages.

An win, coupled with a victory for either Denmark or Sweden, will send them through.

If Sweden and Denmark draw 0-0, then Italy will go through ahead of the Danes as they scored a goal against Sweden.

If Sweden and Denmark draw 1-1, then Italy will have to win by at least two goals to put themselves in contention. Should they win by two goals, any other scoreline than 2-0, they will go through.

If Sweden and Denmark draw 1-1, and Italy win 2-0, it will go to the next factor. That is points gained in the qualifying competitions for the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004. Both gained 37 points. Italy have a better co-efficient rating.

If Sweden and Denmark draw 2-2, Italy are out regardless of their performance against Bulgaria. This is because, when points are level, the first factor is results between the sides involved. A 2-2 draw will give Denmark and Sweden superior goals scored. Thus, Italy will be out even if they win 46-0.

Italy can only top the group if Denmark and Sweden draw 0-0, and Italy beat Bulgaria by six goals, or 7-2 (or an equivalent higher score), due to points gained in the qualifying competitions for the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004.

Bulgaria: Eliminated.

Group D

Czech Republic: Qualified as group winners.

Germany: Victory will guarantee runners-up spot. They could go through by drawing with the Czech Republic, should Holland and Latvia also draw.

Netherlands: A win for Holland will only be any good should Germany fail to beat group winners the Czech Republic. A draw could put them into contention.

Should Germany lose and Holland and Latvia be involved in a scoring draw, Holland will go through on goals scored between the three sides on two points.

Should Germany lose and Holland and Latvia be involved in a goalless draw, Holland will go through - unless Germany lose by one goal in a scoreline of 2-3 or equivalently greater.

Latvia: A win for Latvia will only be any good should Germany fail to beat group winners the Czech Republic. They can only go through by beating Holland, as a draw would rule them out due to Holland's 1-1 draw with Germany, coupled with Latvia's goalless draw.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Full marks to Croatia for, despite being shite, never giving up their diving, whingeing, and bottling 50/50 challenges. You must all be very proud. And so you should be. After all, you have one of the Goss brothers from 1980's teen heartthrob boyband Bros playing on the right and Benny Hill as coach.

Benny Hill would've been better off putting on his dancing girls. And sacking his hairdresser for such an unconvincing dye-job.

Fcuking rubbish song at the beginning too. Can't dance to it, all good national anthems should be toe-tappers.

Ashley Cole and the Boy Roonder joint man of the match....Gazza Neville was useful today and all. Should be a good 'un watching him against Ronaldo Thursday night.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry Fastshow,

From my vantage point, Ashley Cole's defending was absolutely shite. There were far too many crosses making it over from his side. The majority of the Croatian chances were from Cole's wing. If that wasn't enough, he was suspect on the first croatian goal, and it was his foul on the flank that led to the second Croatian goal. MOTM....I don't think so.

I thought Michael Owen was very unsung and Lampard continues to paint the whole field.

Sandman

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rather obviously, you should have changed your vantage point then. So you could see, like.

In all seriousness (because this is, after all, TTP), I should have qualified my Ashley Cole shout by mentioning his link-up play. He covered a lot of the park and his energy and fitness was unmatched by the Croatian carthorses.

England were, as a side, shite on crosses, they are on set-pieces in general. David James is a top-notch shot-stopper (when he actually moves) but, as anyone who has played at the back knows, if you don't trust your number 1, it's not the most comfortable environment.... James is extremely athletic but so is Martina Navratilova. I'd rather she played in goal for England to be honest.

I could argue that Croatia's second goal came from a very wobbly bit of officiating as it wasn't a foul at all. I won't, however, I'll leave it. It's nice for a little backwards country to have something other than Ivanisevic winning at the All England Club to celebrate for a little while....God knows that for a country like Croatia, Prosinieki quitting smoking and their national side scoring two goals against England are reasons for much celebration......

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Again, after the way Ledley King played in the opener against France, I fail to see why everybody was in a rush to get Terry back into the lineup. I thought Terry was average at best on the day, and was suspect on both Croatian tallies. So I suppose this makes him below average at best.

Unfortunately for the Croatian fans, Benny Hill went all Italia after his men scored that 5th minute goal - decided to have them sit back and let the English attack in waves. Poor decision.

Rooney now one goal clear of Zizou in the race for the Golden Boot title. Exactly how much are Everton tagging his price on the open market now?

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gazza valued him today at between 60 and 70 million quid.

At least I think it was Gazza. It could have been Billy Jackson.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts