Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

E-bikes

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Globe and Mail and CTV both had stories this weekend about people buying ebikes because of rising gas prices. These new bikers are probably not the kind of people who bike for exercise but most ebikes do require them to pedal a bit, so it's better for their health than driving a car or truck.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Globe and Mail and CTV both had stories this weekend about people buying ebikes because of rising gas prices. These new bikers are probably not the kind of people who bike for exercise but most ebikes do require them to pedal a bit, so it's better for their health than driving a car or truck.

OK, so here is the truth and my real opinion on e-bikes...

As a mode of transportation, huge advocate. There are whole families around here who've parked their cars and use their heavy duty e-bike for all transport. Getting kids to school, heading to the ski hill (a guy in down has come up with a rack, similar to the surf racks you see on cruiser bikes in Tofino). Europe is already there. Most bikes you see now, especially in hilly areas, are converted to e-bake. You can buy a $1500.00 kit to convert a regular ride. That said, they come with some learning curve.

• There are various different power packs available, various different bikes. Seems that the most popular commuter is a "Fat Bike" style with a big power pack.
  • In BC at large, it means you'll need to get comfortable and familiar with the rules of the road, and most cyclists have no idea. I mean most, even experienced riders. Proper hand signals, behaving like a vehicle, but staying out of their way. Takes a long time.
  • Getting comfortable knowing you WILL at some point be hit, no matter how well lit you are. That's just being a cyclist in general. W/ e-bikes, you are travelling on average 30-40 KPH, most cyclist commuters I'd say in 20-25 KPH range average. That added speed exposes you to a higher level of danger. I used to road ride and road race a lot, even though mountain was my primary discipline. My road colleagues would always made a point of saying that mountain biking was way too dangerous, etc., I'd counter by saying, it's not nearly. In mountain, I'm the only variable. If I choose a line that has a high level of danger or exposure, still it's me that's the variable. Road? It's everyone else, and in 2000 KG killing machines, where the driver is nervous around me. No thanks.
Personally, I'm not yet into an e-bike. I may next year, we'll see. I commute here in Whistler, but in the city I need a car. For my recreational riding (~125-150 days / year, so a lot), I've seen my friends convert, and their fitness always falls, along w/ their skill. They can't keep pace when the trail turns technical and points down. Some can't even keep pace climbing, despite the help. The e-bike has built in bad habits, and relying on that throttle. If your throttle is allowing the rider to go from producing 180 W on a climb to 300 w, while my legs are averaging 275 W, yes, you may climb faster, but you aren't working as hard as I am.

I will admit, I'm tempted to get one to cover a few big days in Whistler. I can do 2 or 3 huge trails, the type of ride that'd be 6-7 hours, and nail that down in 3-4, and be less spent.....but something about being human powered still appeals to me. Eventually my body will dictate the move.

@PV, nutshell, I'd encourage it, but commit, otherwise you'll have a $5-$15K clothes hanger in your garage.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
e-bikes... great for anyone living and working in the downtown core, but beyond that the benefits starts to wane, I think... and yeah, the combination of a) how are they licensed, if at all, b) no fault, and c) the inevitable collisions will make for interesting knock on effects if the trend really does take off.

myself, i use the train for the office and Modo for anything else. e-bikes just don't go well with a suit and barrister's bag...

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Electric scooter company Gogoro made the news today with an announcement about swappable solid state batteries. Gogoro has thousands of battery swapping stations in Taiwan. Until now it had been using liquid lithium ion batteries for its electric scooters. A good business model, lots of scooter drivers who need power.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you really want to get into ethical and environmental footprints, we can talk about lithium mining. Trading one natural resource for another there. Hummmmm...

Still a fan of the use of a bike for commuting, but culturally and geographically, we're just not built well for it here. Oh yeah, insurance nightmare looming. If you spend enough time in Europe and the UK, you know the need to have a car based on profession just doesn't wash. They bike, and bike a lot to get around, everyone from kids to hot legal secretaries in high heeled shoes using their city bikes. I love it. Culturally, we are nowhere close, but geographically, we are also nowhere close to having well laid out walking cities to accommodate bike traffic and discourage vehicular traffic. Personally, one of my "next 10 years" dreams is to live a good part of my year in Europe, and just ride everywhere in the city we choose to live. Cars stress me out. Hate driving now.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0