Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

DVD Problems

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Help!

I just received a new 6 DVD boxset of "The History of Football" (an excellent documentary that was shown on CBC before the World Cup) that I have ordered from Fremantle Media in the UK. I've been waiting 7 weeks for them and now that they have arrived, to my utter frustration, I can't play them. It's like the tracking (VCR) is off and I can't make it work. The screen keeps running down with lines.

I surfed the net and somebody had written that some DVD's are regional and that some won't play on certain DVD's somewhere else on the planet.

Now I know that VHS videos from abroad don't work on our VCR's but is it the same for DVD's?

Please help before I create a scene that I will have to apologies to the kids for!

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes there are different formats! . i bought some dodgy dvd's from Asia and they didn't work here. It's a PAL/ NTSC format thing.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also, I found this piece in relation to DVD troubleshooting:
If the video signal from the DVD player has to go through a VCR player to get to the TV, the copy-protection applied to some DVD programs could affect picture quality. If you still experience problems after checking your connections, please try connecting your DVD player directly to your TV's S-video input, if your TV is equipped with this input.
It's a long shot, but worth a try.

If you know anyone with a DVD-Rom, you might want to try and see what happens with a computer. It may get around that PAL/ NTSC issue.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This site gives more info regarding the PAL/NTSC issue. It is based on a horror DVD website, but the info is just as useful.

In a nutshell, it looks like you may be screwed.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks

Thanks guys.

In the words of Keeper, I am screwed. This whole issue of region locked and PAL/NTSC is a real bugger. I wish retailers would inform you before you buy.

This is one of the many reasons why I love this site. You ask a question, usually someone from this site has experienced the problem or knows how to find the answer. Again, thanks for the help.

Keeper,

Thanks for the website. It explained a lot.

Cheers

DJ

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No prob. Unlucky.

Try the computer option though. A software patch may exist to allow you to watch it.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper,

Thanks. I would try it but that would mean I would need a DVD for my computer. My computer has about had it and is ready for the computer graveyard. Maybe on the next one.

After surfing the net, I think it's either down to the fact that I don't have an S Video cable going from my DVD to the TV (TV is too old to have an S Video cable outlet) or my TV doesn't have a maximum resolution up to 625 lines and has a maximum resolution up to 525 lines. Either way, I need a new TV.

Cheers

DJ

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Find a buddy with a dvd player on his pc. Buy a S-video to RCA patch cord and try to tape it to your VCR.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The DVD's are Regional "0" - all regions. In fact, I found out how to change my region on the DVD player. If anybody else has this problem, I'll post a website that will hopefully solve this problem by giving you a code.

I tried the DVD on my brother's DVD player and the DVD's played with no problem. I then tried my DVD on his TV with his cords to see if it was my TV that was the source of the problem. The problem continued so my TV is fine. It's still the DVD player!

I'm going to replace my A/V cables KOSS provided and buy some Component Video Cables that are suggested. It's suppose to improve the picture quality form "Good Picture Quality" to "Best Picture Quality", according to the KOSS manual.

It's probably because the DVD player is Costco crap!

Wish me luck!!!!!! I'll need it. I'm running out of options!

steve1234,

That might have to be my next option but I really don't want to go down that road. I may have to bribe someone at Costco to take it back and upgrade the quality of the DVD player.

Cheers

Dan

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is one of the many reasons why I love this site. You ask a question, usually someone from this site has experienced the problem or knows how to find the answer. Again, thanks for the help.

Danny I would love to help you.............but I can't .:(

Oh, wait. Move in with your brother. There must be lot's of space in the four foot crawl space and you can use his DVD anytime.

Easy as pie. I knew I could help.:p

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Component Video

Dan,

Your TV has to have "component in" for the cables to work. If it's more than 3 years old, I doubt it does...

Peter

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
D'uh

Ya, your right Peter. I'm back to square one again.

I'm going to have to send the bugger back.

Has anyone bought a really good DVD player that was a great price lately? Where? How much? What features?

Thanks for the help.

Ballbaby,

Thanks for the tremendous help! :rolleyes: ;)

DJ

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
bargoon

DJ:

Mrs. Stew picked up a Citizen multi-mode player for my birthday at Superstore for $80. We've dumped just about any kind of disk you can think of (mp3, vcd, dvd, cd, etc) into it and had good results. I did some research on this and you can also flash the BIOS in the box for different regions or formats. Cheap like borscht and actually sold with under the brands of about 5 different manufacturers. Been pleasantly surprised by the picture quality (good) on my 27" JVC clunker TV, which is at least 3 years old.

Question: can your TV handle at least composite video input (next step below SVideo)? Even that might help.

Good luck,

Stew:cool:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts