Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dude's Sandwich Review

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I will attempt. Then I will post a review. Someone has to.

But, be forewarned. This is a review, not a wish list of meals we can't eat. A very serious review, and it should be taken seriously. If in doubt, look to Rangerforever of a good example of the type of people we want here. And by this, I don't mean accountants with overly high cholesterol counts, I mean men that will sacrifice their wife-implemented diets for the greater good of Dude's Sandwich Review ("The Review").

I think you owe us an attempt. If you have a jammer, you should then post a review of the hospital sandwiches from your bed.

If you fail to comply with the rules and regulations of The Review, I'll have no choice but to allow you to keep flaunting said rules. Because I'm busy.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Right then ....... made a cheeky trip down to Estrella's yesterday as it's been ages since I've had Montreal Smoked Meat. With Kaplan's now in the memory bank, I can't think of too many options around the Lower Mainland to get true smoked meat.

I flirted with the idea of getting 'Oh Canada' (extra large - $18.99) but for some reason, Sir M's comments about having a jammer seem to have resonated with me. Bastard .....

I went with 'The Montreal' (large - $14.49) and as you do, marbled meat please, none of that lean shite. It comes with a pickle which is great, cuts through the fattiness of the meat but the real star is the smoked meat. Simply fcuking divine ....... it was warm, insanely juicy and the taste was exceptional. They don't try and overburden the sandwich with heavy bread, just two thin slices of rye with some Dijon mustard slathered on either side. 'Av it ........

As I'm sure it's mentioned previously, Estrella's is in a weird location - small, quaint but produce top notch fare. If you're in Langley around the Willowbrook area, it is a must.

SCORE: 4.5 / 5 toothpicks (0.5 point docked for me kicking myself for not getting the extra-large)

Large Montreal Smoked Meat.JPG

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is. Utah I think introduced me to this place about 10 years ago. 2 minute drive from my house, and I think it may be the best pure smoked meat place in BC, and after doing a tour of Montreal earlier this year, Estrella's puts Schwartz's to shame.

And, word to the wise: buy a jar of those pickles. They are also make in-house, and to die for.

Walks, this is a 4.75, maybe only missing a 1/4 point due to not being able to enjoy w/ a pint.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs,

I will give a better review one of these days...haven’t done as much traveling in the past year with the exception of a three week trip to Peru in October. Not a nation of sandwiches, but the roast a mean guinea pig, if you are into guinea pigs.

I can't recall if Estrella's Montreal Deli & Cafe :: Authentic Montreal Smoked Meat :: Langley, BC in Langley ever got my review, but it is a solid 4.75/5 toothpicks. Only because I personally haven't been to Swartz's deli in Montreal yet, and because, somewhere, there is a 5/5 toothpicks.

Order the Montreal, Medium, w/ sauerkraut and Dejan. You'll sweat fatty corned beef for the next two days, but fcuk me. Heavenly. My favorite sandwich in the Vancouver area, full stop.

Honorable local mention: Mozarts Bakery in Walnut Grove. Yes, they make Sandwiches, of the grilled pannini variety. Mozart Bakery & Cafe • Wedding Cakes • Special Occasion Cakes • Artisan Breads • Pastries I'm not typically a pannini fan, but they combine an explosion of great ingredients, and have killer soup to wash it down with. 3.5/5 toothpicks, and for a pannini that is very generous, as fans of Dude's Sandwich review know.

Here's my first mention of Estrella's. I can now confirm it it head and shoulders better than Schwatz's. Better than Carnegie, too. Never went to Katz's. High praise.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was not bad! The trick is to make the sides as high as possible for the fillings. The stuffings we had were three kinds of mushrooms, onions, mash potatoes, and three kinds of cheese.

Better was washing it down with a Corona after a fun day riding in Whistler.

The leftovers, BTW, for breakfast was fantastic.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Btw, more like a fancy Meatloaf than a burger. 3 / 5 HP Bottles. Best burger I've ever had is still a Spitz Burger, Whistler. Standard setter. 5/5. Plus they make deep fried pickles.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
leath_hodads_14.jpg

Last edited:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh my. Looks outstanding. 5/5 for presentation. And you didn't have a jammer, +.5 for that. 5.5/5.

As a general rule I've come to hate California, but some of the old beach towns are still cool with a great vibe. Will have to remember this place if I ever find my way to OB again.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I tried this on Saturday morning ....very tasty! At least a 4 Dude...with a big dill pickle makes it a 4.5.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts