Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dude & Mini Dude's 2014 Ride-2-Survive

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
2013: http://www.takethepiss.com/community/threads/dudes-2013-ride-2-survive.17683/
2012: http://www.takethepiss.com/community/threads/dudes-2012-ride-2-survive.17194/
2011: http://www.takethepiss.com/community/threads/dudes-ride-2-survive-2011.16812/
2010: http://www.takethepiss.com/community/threads/dudes-ride-2-survive-2010.16280/
2009: http://www.takethepiss.com/community/threads/dude-in-spandex.15045/

It’s that time of the year again, where I shamelessly beg and plead the TTP community to shell out.

Back in 2009, when I first did this ride in honor of my son’s grandfather, Mohammed, Michael was 8 years old. This year, he’ll be riding alongside with me. Mohammed passed away in the summer of 2012, and Michael has been pissed-off ever since.

This will be my 6th year riding, 4th as one of the ride captains. It’s the 10th anniversary of the R2S. I was quite amazed when my son came to me with the idea of doing a portion of the ride, then even more when he told me he didn’t want to be limited to the Hope-Delta segment, but wanted to have a go at the whole thing- or at least parts of the whole thing. His motivation is sincere and comes from then heart…Michael was very close with his Grandfather. His hatred of Cancer is matched by his sincere desire to contribute to Cancer Research. To say I’m proud and amazed doesn’t begin to cover it…

He’s been training on a road bike w/ a development team all winter, and will be initiated into the R2S training rides ASAP. He has a background racing BMX and Downhill. He’s pretty good on his bikes…but this endeavor…I didn’t see it coming. He has a long way to go, but we’ll help him get there.

Together, we need to raise $5K. For sale: your angel’s spot on our legs, in Sharpie. We will ride in honor of your loved ones that have been touched by this disease.
Your money will not go to waste. 100% of every dime donated goes directly to Cancer Research. R2S is 100% volunteer based. The overhead is covered by riders and sponsor donation in kind. When it hit the CCS banks, the R2S has a special agreement in place whereby the funds bypass general revenue and go directly into the research fund.

Pedalling time: 15 hours
Distance: 400 KM
Climbing: 12,000 feet
Days to complete: 1
www.ride2survive.ca

To contribute to our page, please visit: http://convio.cancer.ca/site/TR/IndependentFundraisingEvent/IFE_BC_odd_?px=5735705&pg=personal&fr_id=16043

Our heartfelt thanks and gratitude,

Mike & Michael.

Attachments

• 1069952_10151719551311609_772877884_n.jpg
    1069952_10151719551311609_772877884_n.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Minn150_6878- cropped.JPG
    Minn150_6878- cropped.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 82

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
...and next to Regs...more generous than usual, no doubt due to the MD quotient this season. Much appreciated!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
...and next to Regs...more generous than usual, no doubt due to the MD quotient this season. Much appreciated!
That and my MIL has recently been given the shitty terminal speech after a couple of chemo rounds :(

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yup.

Anyways, hoping the tradition continues and we get to hear about a kuganonymous donation and subsequent pee-pee slap :)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've become a blogger.

I'll try after every training ride of significance to blog something on my page, here: http://convio.cancer.ca/site/TR/Ind...FE_BC_odd_?px=5735705&pg=personal&fr_id=16043

But, here's the meat of it. Humbling day. See, Burnaby Mountain is where I cut my teeth riding. I have probably climbed this trail over 1,000 time in my life.

Boy kicks dad's ass
Day: March 1, 2014
Location: Burnaby Mountain, Powerline & Shell Trail climb from Gaglardi.
Today Michael & I decided on a mountain bike ride, instead of a road ride. Anyone who knows me knows that I tollerate the road bike, but live for the mountain bike...and today I needed to be on fat tires.
The ride started as many workouts do these days for me...slowly. Bronchitis a few weeks back means that it takes my lungs some time to catch up. What I didn't expect was that, on the steep part of the Powerline trail heading to TC, Michael started to ride away from me. I was feeling bad, sure, but this has never happened. He waited at the entrance to the climb up the campus (Trans Canada, or Shell trail), we started together, but he pulled the same stunt again. By the time we'd reached campus, he was looking fresh, and I was spitting up a lung.
"Well, this is a bit of a role reversal", he says to me.
It is, it was, and I am both humbled and proud. And more than a bit pissed off.
Looks like training w/ my kid will be a bit more competitive than I first thought.
Left him behind on the DH, at least. ;)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's going well. We had an easy 80 KM ride on Sunday, and another similar route this weekend. Mini Dude is suprising me...Sunday was the first time I'd riden road w/ him, ever. He's been doing road training w/ his team independently of me this winter. I was a little worried about him going into his first group ride, but turns out I didn't have to worry much, he's a pretty good and alert rider. There are deffinitely a lot more riders in the group we do need to worry about...there are a lot of rookies this year. All good.

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yup.

Anyways, hoping the tradition continues and we get to hear about a kuganonymous donation and subsequent pee-pee slap :)
Since this thread could use a little bump, I would like to point out that I am a little worried about your desires to hear stories about whacking genitals. o_O

Perhaps you should unban youth discussions on the site? :D Or get the likes of CDK, Mr Coppertone or Fastshow to start posting again.

Or just turn things over to Polska...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is awkward...

We received an annonymous donation on our site. The CCS site is trickier than ever...in the past, they would show as annonymous on the roll-out, but in private tell me whom it was. Now, I don't even get a notification...it just shows up, like a Pot o' Gold at the end of the rainbow.

So, I don't know if this is kurganonymous, or simply annonymous, but I'd like to kurthank anyone who may have made said annonymous donation. Very helpful.

I'd also like to thank one Rangerforever for once again donating to the cause.

For the record, I'd like to see a return of the I-tie thread, and Hands of Stone (especially stories involving baby carriages and KNVB's noggin).

Yesterday was a 65-70 KMish ride through Richmond, in the rain. Cold and wet, yet somehow fun. Mini Dude seems to be integrating well. He hasn't had a tough day yet on the road bike, which is good...but his time will come. It's nice for me to know that I can throw him in w/ this group and leave him be. There are a lot of rookies this season and a lot to do, so far as helping to keep the group safe and together. On last week's ride, we had a crash involving two riders. One left in an ambulance, the other was just shaken up. One was brand new to riding, the other, not so new, but (somehow) had never crashed...so he was shaken up, too. New rider Amy was back riding yesterday, while Emilio is sitting out w/ a concussion for who-knows-how-long. Given this, the attention to safety was hitenned.

80 riders were out yesterday. Compare that to a similar training ride last year and we'd have 30. Anothother comparison...for last year's R2S, on even day we had 89 riders. This year, 140 already have signed up, which should translate to a recod year of fundraising for our rogue little crew.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We got the word a week ago that Cameron's Grandfather, my father-in-law, has been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and its coming fast unfortunately.

You may recollect him coming out to our games and the kids' hockey games bud, not sure.

If Michael's got any room on his body, I'm sure his buddy Cam would appreciate if he scribbled 'Grandpa Ken' down.

Thanks again,
RF

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Terrible news, RF, sorry to hear. I'll pass on the note to Michael, and I have no doubt he'll be proud to dedicate a spot. Pass on my best to Mo and the boys.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
He did. If it were me posting, I'd say the stiches on his nose are an improvement, and that crashing isn't the wost thing in the world, tape an aprin to your forehead and get back on the bike.

That is, had I been writting.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In memory of my dear Aunt Eileen, who managed to hang on to see her last St. Patrick's Day yesterday. This was her favorite poem:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Fcuk you, Cancer.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts