Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

cup games

Status
Not open for further replies.

housearrest

Dec 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
so, from what I've heard thru my sources, the fvsl has changed when the cup games r gonna start this year.

supposedly, cup games will not start until the season has been completed, as from before when they started in the middle of the season. Any thoughts on this?

personally, I feel this is a good move. been a part of some teams where once they get knocked out of the cup, the season doesn't matter to them anymore if their not fighting for promotion or battling against relegation. well done fvsl....got something right for once

Rodzilla

Sep 22, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
been a part of some teams where once they get knocked out of the cup, the season doesn't matter to them anymore if their not fighting for promotion or battling against relegation.

Yeah but this'll just be transfered to earlier in the season, if a team is sure there not going up or down now, there's nothing to get revved up for till the spring.

But I think i like it, having the cup at the end will give it a real Post Season feel, plus having the cup games each week instead of intermittently will really give teams a chance to get on a roll.

Not Bad...not bad.....

Attachments

• headbang.gif
    headbang.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 409

housearrest

Dec 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah but this'll just be transfered to earlier in the season, if a team is sure there not going up or down now, there's nothing to get revved up for till the spring.
true, true....never thought of that. but at least they could view the last few meaningless league games as a chance to stay fit and focused for cup games coming up

Team Canada

Mar 19, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've got no problem with this. Particularily because when they were starting cup games in February, half of them ended up getting postponed because of snow or poor field conditions anyways.

peg_rangers

Sep 25, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've got no problem with this. Particularily because when they were starting cup games in February, half of them ended up getting postponed because of snow or poor field conditions anyways.

I think they will still start in February..The full schedule will be done by then, unless we have a bad winter and there are a lot of postponed weeks

Chelsea4life

Jan 27, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah I like this a lot. I remember we had a cup game canceled last year due to snow, then missed 2 games of league, which we could only make up 1 and then we miss out on possible points to win league, because cup games take over league. Plus it gives teams a chance to peak for the most important games so there really is no excuses for the fact that teams hadnt formed yet or are missing randoms...

jimmy_jones

Jan 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
i am pretty sure i know the reasoning behind this.....when cup play is started in the middle of the season teams that have players signed in div 1 or premier keep playing their cup and if their D1 or prem team loses before jan 15 (transfer deadline) they would sign their guys onto a lower div 2or 3 team to try n win their club a cup.n then they would just play those players on permit every weekend so the original D1 or prem team doesn't feel any loss and the lower team actually has a chance to win a cup with the help of the better players....

housearrest

Dec 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
even if that was the case, i don't think too many cup games started before Jan. 15th.....kjohns posted the link and the way it stands right now is that the first cup game is on the weekend of Feb. 1st. I don't remember last year any cup games being before this date anyways...just seemed to be that the season went later on into the year

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Motivation is most likely to have the Premier squads playing high calliber meaningfull games as close to Provincials as possible. Makes sense, from a league point of view. I like it because it means we're either playing late in the year, or I am able to devote more time to spring skiing. ;)

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Love it, how many forfeits happened at the end of the year last year when teams were already out of cup, had no shot at winning or being relegated, so they just didn't show up, or would show up with 9 or 10? This way at least teams will keep playing to stay in form for when the cup games start.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Con to this I see is that teams that are stockpiling players at lower divisions have their lower division teas doing better in the league...there is no "Drop Off" for the last 5 games. This isn't good for the teams that are for the most part a team, and not having players on loan from a D1 or Prem program.

If you are in a club, and I am, than this should be a good thing.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, but the problem for teams that are just teams, and are not sangbagging with higher teams players, is that the players are available to the competition for three or so more games, league games, this year.

housearrest

Dec 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, but the problem for teams that are just teams, and are not sangbagging with higher teams players, is that the players are available to the competition for three or so more games, league games, this year.

good point...so technically teams like the gunners and acbc can have their div. 1 and premier players who signed with their div.2 teams play almost an entire season (15 games or so) and only miss the final 2 or 3 when the transfer deadline hits on Jan.15th.

how come langley doesn't take advantage ofthe club system as much as others?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
because by and large the three groups at the top are...how do you say it without pissing anyone off....somewhat on their own (just my opinion from what I see go on)

Fact is that we are a very LARGE club with 12 teams. You are going to naturally have teams that function with other teams inside the club systems and some teams that just belong to the club but basically run their own program.

But player movement does happen...Players go up and are transferred down, like any other club. What you get in a 4 team club though is the opportunity to sign 11 or 12 guys to the Premier Team, and then the rest (maybe 7 more) to the D1 team, and subsequently they sign 7 down to D2 and so on. 1 or 2 guys can have an impact, but 7 new faces can do for a team really big things.

If you have 7 guys playing in Premier and Division 2, the D2 team is getting a real shot in the arm.

jimmy_jones

Jan 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
even if that was the case, i don't think too many cup games started before Jan. 15th.....kjohns posted the link and the way it stands right now is that the first cup game is on the weekend of Feb. 1st. I don't remember last year any cup games being before this date anyways...just seemed to be that the season went later on into the year
the whole late cup start time actually started last year...before then (2006-2007 and before)cup used to start in mid oct/nov and then round 2 was mid jan n round 3/4 into feb n so on....but say if a good team was eliminated in their respected cup they would sign onto a lower division team in the same club to help win the cup and play for that team and their original team via single game permit. FOR EXAMPLE lets say we were going by the (2 yrs old)traditional scheduling system for the current season and lets take random teams say acbc. joe smith is signed for acbc prem team they somehow lose in round 1 of pak cup in mid oct/nov. now acbc prem is strictly focused on the league title.depending if acbc div 2 is still in the cup come round 2/3 whenever before the transfer deadline. joe smith and some other good players from the prem team transfer to the div 2 team help them in the knights cup and continue to play their premier games every week and if they want they can play an extra game a week with the div 2 side............SO i guess the league wants div 2/3 cup to be strictly for div 2/3 teams and players can't jump ship to one cup when eliminated from the other cup...cup spots lead to provincial spots for A or B forms, correct? so this way joe smith can't go and play for the B cup after he has no chance at the A cup.....its quite simple actually and the only teams that really benefit from the old way are the teams with big clubs, and now with the new method it really gives everyone an equal chance...and kind of slapping the whole club system in the face

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
kind of...except you forgot about being cup tied...Once you have played in the cup for one team you cannot play in a cup for another. And you cannot transfer past the deadline in January

jimmy_jones

Jan 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
kind of...except you forgot about being cup tied...Once you have played in the cup for one team you cannot play in a cup for another. And you cannot transfer past the deadline in January
i think you're right but i don't see that anywhere in the constitution? i only see the one about youth players/youth permits and ya i meant only transfers before jan 15 for the obvious reason,
actually i think cup tied means that you're just cup tied to on team for that particular competition. ex joe smith can only play in the pak cup for acbc. if acbc loses round 1 he can't transfer to say geu prem and play in the pak cup with them. but i thnk he is eligible for the knights cup.

housearrest

Dec 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
i think you're right but i don't see that anywhere in the constitution? i only see the one about youth players/youth permits and ya i meant only transfers before jan 15 for the obvious reason,
actually i think cup tied means that you're just cup tied to on team for that particular competition. ex joe smith can only play in the pak cup for acbc. if acbc loses round 1 he can't transfer to say geu prem and play in the pak cup with them. but i thnk he is eligible for the knights cup.

no I don't think so...i think being cup tied means ur tied to one cup and one cup only....with the transfer deadline set at jan.15th, that reveals which team ur are cup tied to. if ur signed with a div. 2 team after the transfer, u play in the presidents cup....at least I think that's the way it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts