Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cup Games: Should Turf Be Allowed?

Should turf fields be allowed for cup games?

• Total voters

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In your opinion, should cup games not be scheduled on turf under any circumstances?

I realize that the weather can play a big determining factor as well as a shortage of fields but in my opinion, there should be a way to get cup games to be played only on natural grass.

Our league used to be able to do it when there were no turf fields in the lower mainland so what is stopping them now?

Cheers,

~Regs.

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think you need to qualify "turf". If you include Andy Livingstone and some of the other facilities with like quality, I would say definitely no. If we are talking about the newer field turf facilities I would resoundingly say yes.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Why a 'resounding' yes for the new turf fields?

Cheers,

~Regs.

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Primarily because of field shortages we see today and, speaking for Div 2 and some of the cow pastures we are put on, the alternatives are such that turf and its idiosyncracies are clearly the lesser of two evils. My viewpoint might change after replacement knee surgery but I willl take field turf over strathcona, sunset, moberly, and all the other shite pitches we get served in this league.

amazing_hands

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree it would be nice to play all games not just cup on natural grass. As turf fields are part of the whole season I don't see a reason that games shouldn't be played on turf fields though.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you play league games on the turf, then play Cup games on them as well. Khalsa was due to play at Queens Park, but it is closed, so to keep the game on, it is moved to Mercer Turf, fine by me.
In fact, I think that the turf will help to make the games (Cup or League) decided by the teams on the pitch and not the conditions of the pitch. It has allways been said that a mucker team like Surrey or other Valley teams want to play higher quality VMSL teams like Khalsa or Columbus on bad pitches, so they can take advantage of bad touches and turn-overs, while playing the long ball.
If the games can't be played on grass fields in good condition, then play them on the turf fields and let the teams decide the outcome.
Like the old days when Firemen used to play on Clinton, and the fancy teams like Peg used to hate going there and playing because they knew they were in for a battle on a terrible pitch.

hos

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
fcuking nipple you are...

It has allways been said that a mucker team like Surrey or other Valley teams want to play higher quality VMSL teams like Khalsa or Columbus on bad pitches,
Not to interrupt you being stupid HOS, though God knows it's almost near impossible to stop, but Slurrey has never lost a game on a turf pitch.

Muck away...

Edit: My two bits... I don't see why game shouldn't be played on turf if they're available to use. These new parks are, for a lack of a better word, the future of amateur(sp) sports in BC. With these low maintenance, long lasting parks popping up all over the shop, I think you'll find more and more games being played on them. Cup or otherwise. Doesn't bother me, though I would choose a good grass pitch 100% of the time.

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I vote No!! I simply do not like playing on Turf. It is a totally different game on turf. Teams that play on turf all year have a definite advantage over those teams that only play on it once or twice.

Parkhead

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
ParkHead said:
I vote No!! I simply do not like playing on Turf. It is a totally different game on turf. Teams that play on turf all year have a definite advantage over those teams that only play on it once or twice.

This coming from ParkHead and all the ClubI team, who will attempt to muck out a win vs. Indo on a terrible McNair pitch on Sunday.

I don't think it is fair that Richmond teams are able to train all winter long on grass pitches under the lights, not if we have to train on turf.

hos

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't think it is fair that Richmond teams are able to train all winter long on grass pitches under the lights, not if we have to train on turf.

I agree wanker!!! Who would want to train on turf all year? :confused: As for Sunday I will play on whatever field they put us on. I will take McNair anyday over a Turf field.

ParkheadreallyconernedaboutHosplayingonturftonight.hopehedoesn'thurthimself :rolleyes:

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
KNVB

Sorry for interrupting your slagging of HOS...

Not to interrupt you being stupid HOS, though God knows it's almost near impossible to stop, but Slurrey has never lost a game on a turf pitch.

I beg to differ. I remember a semifinal Imperial Cup game on the Port Moody turf where yours truly hit a free kick past Ian (?) late in the second half back in 2000 - the year we lost the treble to some muckers team. ;)

2-1, I believe. Sorry to burst your bubble. :(

Now, what were you saying about HOS?

On topic:

Turf fields YES. Good teams find ways to win no matter what.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
DJones said:
Now, what were you saying about HOS?

Something about me being a GOD, very strong words, but I won't argue, just don't put an H in there.

I think we would all love to play on nice grass fields all winter long, but we live in Vancouver, it just isn't possible with all the teams wanting field space. I would rather play on a turf field than a wet and muddy grass pitch, but I am stupid.

hos

MILLSY

Nov 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't particularly like turf fields, especially the older versions, and being a FVSL mucker I like the small knarly grass fields! :D That said the new turf field in Langley is quite impressive other than it being a little quicker obviously than grass it's a fabulous pitch. The "grass" on the field is long enough and soft enough that wearing sixes or long blades is not a problem.
I think most would agree though that not playing a cup game at all or having to play it on turf that most would choose to play the game.

no right peg

May 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

HOS,
It would be incredible to get onto a grass pitch in Richmond. Youth soccer gets first dibs and then its a free-for-all for the adult teams(or maybe it's because we are an Indo-Canadian team ;) ). Unless you like to start training at 9 or 9:30. No thanks!
As for turf, teams that play and train on it have an advantage. The game changes and the passes that normally get cut out seem to get there more often. We would love to play on the turf this weekend, as it definitely suits our style, or it suits the style that we would like to play.
A grass pitch that is in good shape, mostly grass, is much more preferable to turf, especially for those players who are not young anymore.

Good Luck to all this weekend. Hoping that AFC wins so they can test their mettle against a team that is at their level. :D

no right peg

May 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
sid said:
If you cant play on turf !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hang em up

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sid

Sid.
Didn't say I can't play on turf. Rather, if given a choice, I would welcome the idea of playing on a grass field. :D Therefore, I will not be hanging em up.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts