Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cowboys O YA

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well here we go, another LOOOONG season for us Cowboy fan(s). This little quote about sums it up...
"We've got a lot to do here," Parcells said. "This is a struggle. Obviously, I can tell this year is going to be a struggle."
Struggle being the understatement of the year. At least we're not Bungals fans.
Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
August 22, 2003, 3:49 a.m. (CDT)

PITTSBURGH - This was supposed to be first game to showcase the Cowboys starting quarterback for the regular season.

But while Bill Parcells entered Thursday's game here in the Steel City without naming an official starter, and said his decision should come early next week, it appears Quincy Carter could be closing in on winning the job.

Carter started his second consecutive game and looked sharp, leading the team to a touchdown in his three series. Chad Hutchinson also drove the offense into the end zone on his third drive, but did have another fumble, a reoccurring problem for the second-year quarterback.

In the end, Parcells seemed most despondent his team couldn't hold on to a fourth-quarter lead, giving up a late touchdown and two-point conversion to fall to the Steelers, 15-14, in front of 58,099 at Heinz Field.

"I was hoping we could hang on and get that one," Parcells said after the loss, which drops the Cowboys to 1-2 in preseason. "I think coming in here and getting a win would've been a big step for us. But we gave a couple of big third-down conversions there at the end. It comes down to making plays. They made some plays and we didn't. I thought we had a good chance to have the game in hand. But I really wanted to come in here and convince this team they could win on the road. I know they haven't been doing that very well."

The Cowboys are just 4-20 in regular season road games the past three seasons, but were controlling the Steelers most of the game. Leading14-7 with 9:01 to play, the Cowboys let Pittsburgh drive 65 yards in nine plays, ending with an 18-yard touchdown run from Dante Brown on a fourth-and-one play. The Steelers had no interest in overtime, electing to attempt a two-point conversion. Rookie third quarterback Brian St. Pierre hit Wes Ours for the conversion and the Steelers' first lead of the night.

The Cowboys then went with Clint Stoerner at quarterback, hoping they would at least get in field goal range with less than five minutes to play. But the Cowboys picked up just one first down before Stoerner was sacked on fourth down (fumbling) to give the ball back to the Steelers, who promptly ran out the clock.

"This is a great football town with great football fans," Parcells said. "I really thought it would be good for this team to come in here and win this one. But I did see some positive things. It wasn't all negative. We've got some things we need to work on though."

As for the quarterbacks, Parcells said he wanted to wait until after viewing the film before making his final decision. With just one preseason game to play, Parcells has said both the Steelers and the Raiders, next Thursday's upcoming opponent, would be good challenges for the starting quarterback and the entire offense, as well.

But he has to name a starter first, and while neither Carter nor Hutchinson has clearly out-played the other, Carter has received more snaps, especially in the last two games and hasn't turned the ball over the past two weeks.

Against the Steelers, one of the NFL's top-ranked defenses the past two seasons, Carter completed 8-of-12 passes and made good decisions under pressure. On his third and final drive of the night, Carter engineered a 13-play, 74-yard drive, which included three third-down conversions, one of which a nifty 12-yard run by Carter near midfield. The Cowboys had another third-and-four from the Steelers 8, when Carter hit Joey Galloway with a quick pass, allowing the receiver to tip-toe his way into the end zone for the first score.

"I thought we were able to do some good things on that drive," Carter said. "We moved the ball around. But we've got a lot of work to do. We didn't get it done as much as we needed to.

"We lost the football game. That's really what I'm concerned with. I can't control the quarterback situation. It's not up to me and all I can do is go out and work on my own game. I've been saying the same thing now for about three, four weeks."

And hopefully for everyone, an answer will come soon.

"I'm going to look at the film and I'll let you guys know probably at the beginning of next week," Parcells said of naming a starter. "I wanted to give Quincy about 20 minutes and I told Chad I wanted him to get a look at their defense a little bit and put him and let him go. He got the better part of about three quarters."

While Carter got just three series in the first half, Hutchinson's numbers weren't much different after his first three series. The second-year quarterback didn't move the ball well in his first two drives, but helped engineer a 12-play, 73-yard drive, which ended on Adrian Murrell's 3-yard touchdown run. On that drive, Hutchinson connected on passes of 12 yards to tight end Tony McGee and then fired a 15-yard strike to Terry Glenn, setting up the touchdown three plays later.

But Hutchinson completed just one more pass in his next two drives, and was sacked twice behind the second-team offensive line, fumbling once. Overall, Hutchinson completed 8-of-16 passes for 82 yards.

While the Cowboys remain unclear at quarterback, running back might be murky, too.

Murrell, a nine-year veteran signed two weeks ago to give the team some depth at running back, made his Cowboys debut, rushing six times for 24 yards, mostly coming on just two drives in the third quarter.

But Parcells, who coached Murrell one season in 1997 with the Jets, didn't seem too surprised by his new running back's performance.

"Not really, I know the player," Parcells said of Murrell, who came to the Cowboys weighing 222 pounds, but has already dropped nearly 10 pounds. "We just have to get him in shape."

Parcells said he's not opposed to using a running-back-by-committee system, which would likely involve both Murrell and current starter Troy Hambrick, who had just three carries for -1 yard. Hambrick did provide some help in the passing game, catching two passes for 17 yards.

"It's a little frustrating," Hambrick said. "You want to go out there and establish a running game, but we couldn't really do that. But you can't get discouraged. You just have to keep working at it. I have confidence things will come around."

The Cowboys started Tyson Walter at left guard, ahead of Larry Allen, who had been practicing with the second-team unit. Allen did not travel with the team Wednesday afternoon because of a personal matter, joined the team later that evening and eventually replaced Walter to start the second quarter.

Parcells said not starting Allen had nothing to do with the All-Pro guard not accompanying the team to Pittsburgh.

So with training camp and now three preseason games complete, the Cowboys still have plenty of questions to answer, especially on offense. Expect a starting quarterback to be named this week, but running back might stay a mystery until after Thursday's preseason finale against Oakland.

And as for Allen, the Cowboys would be happy to have him return to the starting lineup, but ongoing ankle and conditioning concerns are forcing the team to prepare Walter to start, if needed.

"We've got a lot to do here," Parcells said. "This is a struggle. Obviously, I can tell this year is going to be a struggle."

Something Parcells likely knew before the start of camp, but lingering uncertainties on offense are only enhancing his concern.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
But while Bill Parcells entered Thursday's game here in the Steel City without naming an official starter, and said his decision should come early next week, it appears Quincy Carter could be closing in on winning the job.

Watching as much as I could before training last night, I can't believe they're actually going to start a professional football season with either Chad 'I can't hold the cnuting ball' Hutchinson or even Q.Carter for that matter. If they must though, I would say go with Carter. Much more mobile and with their O line he'll need to be and I think he's got a better arm. What do I know though? I cheer for them in the first place. :rolleyes:

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great to see

nothing makes me happier than a Cowboy loss, hold on...........yes, seeing cowboys being charged for some lame crime (Coke, rape). By the way, save everyone the hassle of reading how many super bowls you have.....blablablablabla

Steelers!!!

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh my Christ, you're admitting to being a Steelers fan after their first unit couldn't even move a shite on cheap wing night let alone the ball vs that Dallas rubbish?

Die-hard.

BTW, blablablablabla super bowls.

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
???????

knvb3fognbn or whatever:
Oh my Christ, you're admitting to being a Steelers fan after their first unit couldn't even move a shite on cheap wing night let alone the ball vs that Dallas rubbish?
Yes, I am admitting. Lets look at the bright side..........No Kordel, thus I am happy. One cannot go wrong with a white QB;) !
As for the Super bowl BLABLABLABLA, they are always just short of the dance so I do not get it. Please, help me be as bright as Knight Rhider!:knvb:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stew, put your teeth in a cup and have a nap if you're that tired

Stepchild, you want things bright? Try taking off you shirt. Then put your money where you mouth is and join the TTP pool that hasn't been made official yet. :D

To be on Topic only 4 Cowboys will be arrested this season shattering the record by 6. :rolleyes: Where Regs'? Hes a Cowboys fan isn't he?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gentlemen:

Let's see if I can be clearer:D

I've had my nap so I'm not crabby any more, but if two posts don't do it, let's try this way:

NFL sucks!!!!

Thank you for your patience.

Stew:cool:

willis316

Oct 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The only reason I would love the Cowboys is it is a slamdunk to bet against them. Jimmy Johnson saved that franchise through smart drafting. He is long gone and so are the players he brought in. So say good-bye to any hope of the playoffs for years. Bill Parcells just leaves practice early and puts down his players. He is such a homo. Whoops, please don't quote me on that.

Fcuk, first the Arse and now the Cowboys. Next you be stating your a Red Wings fan.

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unlucky Knvb.

Just think you might ge to celebrate maybe 4 times this year. 4-12 looks about right. Carter and Hutchinson at QB how can you not win atleast 4. HaHAHaHA:rolleyes:

Parkheadhasnotseentheschedulebuthopesthecowpokesareontheninershorizons

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone know a good place to hide with sturdy overhead cover. Apparently the Sky is Falling as the cowboys won last night. They actually looked good as well which makes me scared the end of the world may be near.

Please Help!!!!

ARMYwhothinkstheCowboysundertheTunaandJonessoldhteirsoulstothedevilforawin.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unlucky Knvb.

Just think you might ge to celebrate maybe 4 times this year. 4-12 looks about right. Carter and Hutchinson at QB how can you not win atleast 4. HaHAHaHA
Hmmmm....

49ers 1-1
Cowboys 1-1

The pokes looked goooooood :D

~Regs.

Whirlwind

Aug 15, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Watch

Watch out for those Bungels Baby:wa: Rather be a Bungels fan than a Big Gay 49ers fan ha tuff loss Wankers:wa: Dart Vader your team Sucks Donkeys :wa:

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Waste of a Monday Night

Regs
The pokes looked goooooood
I don't think the pokes had anything to do with it, the Giants were terrible. Thank god for Kickers!
BlazeArmy
Anyone know a good place to hide with sturdy overhead cover
Just ask Bryant

IReallyDidNotCareWhoWonThatFcukingFootballGame

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Cowboys winning is one of those feel good stories of the year. Like TheRob and the caboose with the caboose guy. Or is it without the caboose guy? Whatever. It almost brings me to tears. Yay Cowboys! You bunch of prats. Just waiting for a good old-fashioned tuna melt.

willis316

Oct 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think Monday night football should have a new format. They always put on the best teams (supposed best teams) in the league and the games are a waste of time. Last night they had on two average at best teams and it was the first exciting NFL game I have seen in a while. Typical of the NFL for a team to need 7 fieldgoals to score 35 points.

BTW Cowboy fans, your team folded like a cheap tent in a light breeze last night. If it wasn't for a horrilbe kick they would be sucking their wounds.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts