Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Constantine

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rarely – and I mean not since Jurassic Park – does a movie succeed in its attempts to overcome the basic elements of story, plot, and acting by relying on special effects alone. The “Wow-Factor”, if you will.

Constantine is not one of those movies.

So much more could have been done with this movie. The concept is interesting, albeit somewhat unoriginal – an exorcist suffering from lung cancer dedicates his life to battling demons from Hell in hopes of regaining the ability to go to heaven. Unfortunately we spend the first half of the movie imagining it as a biblical edition of The Matrix, the second half comparing it to Blade, and bit of the middle thinking of Dogma. Despite a few clever touches of humour (Satan is a Frenchman) and some very convincing and elegant special effects, there are still many problems that weigh it down.

Mistake number one: Keanu Reeves. At what point will someone in Hollywood – someone with an ounce of production power – realize that black hair and a flat stomach, an actor does not make? This man, despite his dumb luck in leading one of the best movies of the 90’s (The Matrix), cannot act. He has no timing, charisma, inflection, passion, or anything else that a decent actor needs to survive in show business. He may, however, look good in a black coat, but that's not the point.

Mistake number two: Blade and Blade 2 are both available on DVD. Blade 3 is currently in second run theatres. Those boats have sailed. There is no point in trying to wow us in slaughtering a room full of demons with holy water falling from the sprinkler system and gold bullets set to a soundtrack of industrial techno music. We saw Wesley Snipes do that seven years ago. And he did it better.

Mistake number three: Why would a man who exorcises demons from Hell need Dragon’s Breath, a weapon of fire? Demons live in fire. Duh.

And it goes on.

Bluenose

Nov 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I totally agree with you on all parts, but I actually enjoyed the movie especially the cgi. This is how it should be used, not as a distraction as in the recent star wars movies but as a support for what is happening. They definitely needed to flush the characters out much more as each seemed only present to further the plot along. Gavin Rossdale and Tilda Swinton did well in their limited roles and more face time for each would have aided the script and added to the depth of the plot and taken some of the focus off Keanu. Neither Shia Leboeuf or Rachel Weisz were able to as their characters were only in support of constantine. Paul Bettany would have been a better choice as Constantine as it would have kept the character truer to the comic.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
It could have been so much more. Keanu does suck. He is so monotone, boring and his timing is off. I think if they changed who played Constatine it would have made a big difference. I don't know quite who, probably somewhat of a knew face would have been better. The special effects were alright but not movie saying.
I am pretty much saying what keeper said before. You can definately wait for video on this one.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
bluenose said:
. . . Tilda Swinton did well in their limited roles
Is it just me, or did anyone else confuse her with Cate Blanchett? Very similar faces and voices.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
keeper are you trying to win the next spot as Eberts right hand man. How many movies do you see? you always seem to have some sort of indepth review.

terrytoo

Jan 26, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're far more readable when you bore on about romantic comedies. You're saving me a load of money as your abject writing makes every bloody film you want to share with strangers on the internet seem like an interminable pile of unwatchable excrement. Who told you you could write? Consider legal action. I am.

Keeper said:
Despite a few clever touches of humour (Satan is a Frenchman)

clev·er ( P ) Pronunciation Key (klvr)
adj. clev·er·er, clev·er·est
Mentally quick and original; bright.
Exhibiting quick-wittedness: a clever story.

Do explain, clever must mean something different in Canadia.

Had Satan been an Arab would that have been racist? What if he'd been a Jewish poof?

Satan lives in this website's Champion Leagues thread.

As Steve1234 said, before inventing the wheel, "Hell is other people."

He must have just met you at the cinema.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Terry:

Be gentle; he can't help it - he's German...

Do explain, clever must mean something different in Canadia.
Nope; actually means the same here. Just more seldomly seen...

Haven't seen this one yet either; budgetary constraints will likely prevent me from doing so until the dvd comes out. I was a Garth Ennis (the writer) fan when he was producing Hellblazer on a regular basis, and wasn't really thrilled about Keanu as the choice of actor - agreed that Paul Bettany would not have been bad, but I'd always envisioned William Hurt (about his 1984 role form) as John Constantine. Oh well...

beerz,

stew :cool:

Team Canada

Mar 19, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought the movie was pretty good, didn't blow me away or anything though. But I agree with everyone else, Keanu Reeves really has no personality whatsoever, and is really boring to watch. Plus every time I see him in a movie, all I can picture is him playing air guitar, yelling "Dude, Wild Stallions totally rule!!"

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0