Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Congrats MetroFord U15s and Jonesy!

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
$1000 to play a season.....FML. If my kid was good enough they wouldn't be playing at that cost. Unfcukingbelievable what it costs to play soccer nowadays.....and usually just to fill the pockets of a lot of 'professional' coaches.

Captain,

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but I will add a few more details. Y-League season (approximately 3 months) costs between $1,300-1,800 (ask any parent who had a kid playing Y-League). In the case a team qualifies for the Championship in Florida that will be another $1,500 -2,000.
Basically, if the team qualifies for Florida the total cost is usually between $3,300 and $4,000 (three-month season plus a few days in Tampa). I can imagine how much the HPL "brain trust" would charge for that league.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hopefully the MLS takes off here and the white cap revenue will fund this type of league and the kids families pay nothing. Most Of the kids with a promising skill set dont have families with this type of disposable income. Should a child be denied playing in a top league because his family cant afford it? Its no science why canada is ranked where they are in soccer. Greedy bastards.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hopefully the MLS takes off here and the white cap revenue will fund this type of league and the kids families pay nothing. Most Of the kids with a promising skill set dont have families with this type of disposable income. Should a child be denied playing in a top league because his family cant afford it? Its no science why canada is ranked where they are in soccer. Greedy bastards.

You're kidding right? Whitecaps funding this type of league when they have offered NOTHING in the Y-League ventures..........or even school soccer academies...........:eek:

canuckboy

Oct 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
First of all Congrats Jonesy, Price, and all the lads. What an accomplishment.

As far as the cost, it's certainly high enough to prohibit some deserving players from participating. That is not the purpose at this level. I was reading about Ajax's system. Totally intense, but totally free, all costs are covered by Ajax.

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
First of all Congrats Jonesy, Price, and all the lads. What an accomplishment.

As far as the cost, it's certainly high enough to prohibit some deserving players from participating. That is not the purpose at this level. I was reading about Ajax's system. Totally intense, but totally free, all costs are covered by Ajax.

Every professional club in europe is free, and also every amatuer club over there is too. I was actually reading up on clint Dempsey and he comes from poverty in Texas somewhere, if it wasn't for his teammates parents offering to pay his fee's he wouldn't of been playing for fulham. I think it's wrong but it's the way things are in north America and sadly if u want your kid to play at a high level then you have to pay the price.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whitecaps used to offer funding to y-league I think, I may be wrong?

Yes.......you are wrong!. Whitecaps charged an arm and a leg! The same continued with their so-called affiliates later on. The reason for such pricing (as they said): professional coaching! Maybe somebody could list where those "professional coaches" worked before as professional coaches!? Provincial program costs even more.

Anything that is related to BCSA and Whitecaps is to make a quick buck, nothing else. Soccer in Canada will never be successful if that approach continues.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're kidding right? Whitecaps funding this type of league when they have offered NOTHING in the Y-League ventures..........or even school soccer academies...........:eek:

CS

No i am not kidding. This is why i said hopefully... They have never offered before most likely because the flow was not their. If they want to be one of the top 10 clubs in the world as they have stated then hopefully they will follow suit and start dispersing the cash like those other clubs. leave no one out.. Even the high school programs should benefit.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
CS

No i am not kidding. This is why i said hopefully... They have never offered before most likely because the flow was not their. If they want to be one of the top 10 clubs in the world as they have stated then hopefully they will follow suit and start dispersing the cash like those other clubs. leave no one out.. Even the high school programs should benefit.

Agreed but unfortunately that will never happen in BC (or Canada). Why would Whitecaps want to invest into youth soccer when they have a monopoly here? Talented players, one way or another, end up under their umbrella, not a single dollar invested, they sign those talented ones (Residency) and, with a bit of luck, if somebody ends up signing a contract somewhere in Europe, Whitecaps benefit financially from that.

So, young Metro Ford team won in Florida, North American Champions, it is an achievement worth of mentioning so I have to congratulate again to the players, to the coach, to the MF organization - obviously there are people out there who appreciate all that. Before them Coastal in 2009, Mountain in 2008, and even Whitecaps Y-team in 2004.

Did Whitecaps or BCSA promote any of those teams? Did anyone see a single minute on a local TV? National TV!? Nothing, absolutely nothing! And those people call themselves soccer professionals?

For me, personally, it is great to see Canadian kids down in Florida with Canadian flag singing spontaneously Canadian anthem (as we can see in that video on YouTube). Should not that be a great Canadian story? Should not that be more important than Kevin Bieksa's flu!? So, the question is: where are all those soccer professionals in BC to promote those great achievements by young athletes who spent their parents' money to represent this province and country.

And, then, some still wonder why Canada is nowhere on a soccer map. Isn't that obvious?

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed but unfortunately that will never happen in BC (or Canada). Why would Whitecaps want to invest into youth soccer when they have a monopoly here? Talented players, one way or another, end up under their umbrella, not a single dollar invested, they sign those talented ones (Residency) and, with a bit of luck, if somebody ends up signing a contract somewhere in Europe, Whitecaps benefit financially from that.

So, young Metro Ford team won in Florida, North American Champions, it is an achievement worth of mentioning so I have to congratulate again to the players, to the coach, to the MF organization - obviously there are people out there who appreciate all that. Before them Coastal in 2009, Mountain in 2008, and even Whitecaps Y-team in 2004.

Did Whitecaps or BCSA promote any of those teams? Did anyone see a single minute on a local TV? National TV!? Nothing, absolutely nothing! And those people call themselves soccer professionals?

For me, personally, it is great to see Canadian kids down in Florida with Canadian flag singing spontaneously Canadian anthem (as we can see in that video on YouTube). Should not that be a great Canadian story? Should not that be more important than Kevin Bieksa's flu!? So, the question is: where are all those soccer professionals in BC to promote those great achievements by young athletes who spent their parents' money to represent this province and country.

And, then, some still wonder why Canada is nowhere on a soccer map. Isn't that obvious?

RL

Sad but true what you say.

It just really bugs me That some good young talent is overlooked because the family is not in the financial position to invest their children's best interest to play in these top youth league's. With no programs in place to subsidize this opportunity we can't say we are giving our best the chance to further those dreams of Canada becoming true Top 30 .

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just so you know, our club went out and found lots of good people that stepped up with sponsorship to helped some of our players from the club not only play in Y League but also go on this worth while trip. No one was left behind. It's always been that way with our club.

I can't speak for other franchises but I would be sure that they would have done the same thing.

BTW: One of the sponsors was the Whitecaps.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What's really pissed me is that nothing about our accomplishment has been posted on the BC Soccer website nor the Whitecaps. Nice way to treat your "partners" who heavily support their programs! I can some what understand the CSA website but the local group is pretty disrespectful!

The OSA posted the success of the Ottawa U17 girls team.
The Ontario Soccer Association - Ottawa Fury U17 Girls Win Super Y-League Championship

RL RCD,

Do you have a link for that Youtube clip. I'm sure the boys will get a kick out of seeing it.

Cheers

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can understand why the white caps have yet to mention your accomplishment. Virtual Bobby is to busy re-living his own glory right now. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jonesy:

Congrats to you, the boys, your fellow coaches and all the parents and volunteers who were able to make this happen. Definitely something worth celebrating, and making a fuss over these kids, regardless of how much it embarrasses them. Hopefully BCSA gets on the ball and has something relevant about the kids soon - they deserve it.

Folks:

I went to one of the HPL organizing meetings last night. Right now, everything is pretty vague as to how and where the 8 franchises will be awarded/located (no hard criteria are available yet), but the current financial model is for self-funding from players (as previously mentioned, anticipated cost is about equal to combining Y-League and Metro/Select costs per player per season).

One of the issues we have as compared to the rest of the world outside North America is that we operate youth soccer as community-based clubs instead of as feeders/academies for pro clubs. Justifiably from their perspective, the Whitecaps are NOT the same as BCSA, so they don't have a major buy-in for being the source of funding for this, even if this will essentially be one-stop shopping for them. Currently, the organizers are at the "hopeful" stage for obtaining funding from sponsors, but that's it.

My two cents....

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
What's really pissed me is that nothing about our accomplishment has been posted on the BC Soccer website nor the Whitecaps. Nice way to treat your "partners" who heavily support their programs! I can some what understand the CSA website but the local group is pretty disrespectful!

The OSA posted the success of the Ottawa U17 girls team.
The Ontario Soccer Association - Ottawa Fury U17 Girls Win Super Y-League Championship

RL RCD,

Do you have a link for that Youtube clip. I'm sure the boys will get a kick out of seeing it.

Cheers

djones,

That is exactly what we have been talking about; no BCSA, no Whitecaps to acknowledge, at least, great achievement of your team. It is great that MF managed to find some good sponsors to help the parents of obviously very talented team that you coached.

Sorry if I misled you with the link. It is not from your's team game; it is from 2008 when another Y-team from BC won in Florida (link on pg 1 of your thread) but I can imagine that your team did the same, had a Canadian flag, proudlly showed their Canadian colours. Not to see any of that even on a local TV or in The Province or Vancouver Sun is a shame. But, you and your players should be very proud anyway. Great job!

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts