Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Champions League 2011/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelsea4life

Jan 27, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anti-Football... Since when is playing solid defence anti-football? Its a part of the game, just this time the spot light isnt on the strikers, it was on the defensive line and goalkeeper of chelsea. I think MVP has gotta go to Cech who was absolutely stunning!! You could either way with him or drogba, but cech and that PK Save kept them alive....
I truly hope that was not the last we ever get to see Drogba in a blue jersey though....

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know stats are just that.....and that the final score is all that REALLY matters BUT I thought I would just throw these here to address the ANTI-Football. The most glaring stat.........20 corners to 1 corner.......granted that's where Chelsea's goal came from. Bayern need to work on their set pieces. :)

Dancin Bear

Oct 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anti-Football... Since when is playing solid defence anti-football? Its a part of the game, just this time the spot light isnt on the strikers, it was on the defensive line and goalkeeper of chelsea. I think MVP has gotta go to Cech who was absolutely stunning!! You could either way with him or drogba, but cech and that PK Save kept them alive....
I truly hope that was not the last we ever get to see Drogba in a blue jersey though....

Cech was brilliant, but honestly though it was a poor penalty. Not a Chelsea fan by any means but happy for the team...except Terry who's just a cnut and the Russian gangster that runs them. Football is a funny game.....the best team doesn't always win on the day but a bit of luck, sticking to the task at hand, getting the tactics right and a whole lot of belief and throwing in being terrified to lose can produce what may seem like miracles. And it was. And good for them.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gotta love Essien going to town on the hottie medical trainer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Titan4Life

Mar 24, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know stats are just that.....and that the final score is all that REALLY matters BUT I thought I would just throw these here to address the ANTI-Football. The most glaring stat.........20 corners to 1 corner.......granted that's where Chelsea's goal came from. Bayern need to work on their set pieces. :)

Sorry C4L but I gotta side with the Captain on this one. ANTI-Football did win out again.

You could argue that they played solid defence and it was a defence first mentality. There is nothing wrong with that at times and it happens in lots of sports (see Phoenix Coyotes in the NHL, Balitmore Ravens in the NFL). Sometimes not playing an attractive style wins. However, it is anti-_____. It kills the game.

I have been on teams and coached teams where we have planned to shut down the other team with a solid defensive effort and counter. It's boring and it's not attractive. But even in those cases, we make the effort to counter.

Chelsea made little to no effort to counter at any point. That is what made it anti-football. They didn't want to win, they just didn't want to lose. Chelsea was fortunate that Bayern left their shooting boots at home and that they scored on 1 of their 2 shots all game.

It's fine to play defence first, but for the love of god...please go forward occasionaly and try to win the game.

Maybe Phoenix, LA, NYR, St Louis, etc are all reading this and can do the same next season in the NHL (assuming there is a season!).

Congrats on winning C4L but they did it the wrong way.

ShipItMuppet

Apr 19, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
"did it the wrong " way is a harsh. Overcoming such a massive deficit v Napoli and then the battle(s) with Barcelona (away from home, with 10 men) and then being down a goal with 5 minutes left in the UCL final, and STILL finding a way, is a very admirable accomplishment.

"anti-football" is a self defined term, perhaps the thought of overwhelming possession needs a re-think, as not the only effective way to win a match. CFC adapted versus Barcelona (Barcelona did not adapt to Chelsea's tactics)... was it stylish/glamorous? HELL NO. But they scored 3 goals v the 'best team in the world. Chelsea are like 10yr old furniture (I read) ... they may be ugly/out-dated, but they are useful and get the job done. To say that "Chelsea made little to no effort to counter at any point. That is what made it anti-football" is total bollocks. How did they score ALL their goals v Barca??? Drogba, Ramires especially and Torres all scored off counter-attacks. If ANY team in the world is holding onto a advantage with 45mins remaining, down to 10men, at Camp Nou ... then your damn right they would be pinned in their own half.

Chelsea did not do it in eye-catching fashion. But they overcame great doubt/obstacles (with great fortune as well).
They definitely didn't do it the "wrong way" ... they only did it in a totally different way.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Am i the only one who thought it was a great game?

One way traffic for 87 mins and then coach takes of the goal scorer T.M. only to replace him with a guy who hadn't played since January.

Dont blame Chelsea for winning..

Blame the Munich's coach for the backfiring substitution..

Blame Robben for missing the Pk in extra time..

Blame Bastian Schweinsteiger for the studder step PK.

Blame the whole Munich squad..

Anti football didnt win the game..

Bonehead stupid moves lost it for Munich..

Regards,
Not a Chelsea supporter

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why does everyone blame Robben and Schweiny? At least they forced Cech to make saves. Gomez couldn't even hit the net from 6 yards on his many chances over 120 minutes.

And I have to say Di Matteo was spot on in not letting Torres take a pk.

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
My question is why not put 2 guys on Drogba? You know he is very good in the air and it'll likely be him being the target. The only other aerial threats were probably Cahill, Luiz and maybe Lampard.

The last time I saw a team get outplayed and win was Greece in 2004.

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Report in from Munich
My cousin who has a British Radio sports show was there .
The Munich fans put up a massive banner before the game saying they had won the cup.
I guess the Football Gods did not like it .
As you all know luck has a very large part to the game when you have this level of play.
It was CHELSEA turn to win .

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regarding submitting your starting line up, what rule is out there that says you have to explain your offensive/defensive strategy on placement on the field (4-4-2, 3-2-3-1, etc.)? I would think you would just have to state the line up, and call it a day. I know it gives the announcers pre-game fodder to discuss, but it also alerts the opposing team. Not that you can't change as soon as you take the field, but it just seems strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0