Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Champ Car World Series - 2005

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is this the start of turning the corner for the series...

Getting ready to book flights to Edmonton for the new begining!

Champ Car back on U.S. network TV

TSN.ca Staff

12/13/2004

The Champ Car series will be back on U.S. network television in 2005 and two Canadian events will feature prominantly in that schedule.
CBS and NBC will combine to show six events next year, putting the series back on U.S. network television for the first time since 2003.
NBC will kick things off with April 10 with live coverage of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. CBS will follow with flag-to-flag coverage of four consecutive events, starting with the June 4 race in Milwaukee followed by Portland, Cleveland and the Molson Indy Toronto.
NBC returns with coverage of the Molson Indy Montreal on August 28.
This will mark the first time since 1994 that NBC has broadcast a Champ Car World Series race. CBS last broadcast races in 2003.
"This agreement allows for the Champ Car World Series to reach a greater audience, which is vital as we continue to grow," said Champ Car President Dick Eidswick. "We believe this package will provide great benefits to the series and will provide greatly-increased exposure for our business partners as well as our teams and our drivers."
Champ Car officials say the remaining television schedule, likely with a cable network, will be announced in the next few weeks.
This past season, Champ Car races were shown on U.S. cable network Spike. That deal was cobbled together at the last minute following Champ Car's emergence from bankruptcy.
Champ Car recently concluded a deal with European sports channel Eurosport to show all of its races in 2005. Eurosport reaches 98 million households and 240 million viewers across 54 nations in Europe.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm still bitter that Vancouver didn't get one more year. I would have liked to have been at the last one. :( They say it could be back after 2010 though. I can't wait!

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vancouver will only be a go if they find a new venue. From what I heard, among other expenses, Indy was paying for people to live in hotels to get away from the noise. As that area continued to get more densely populated, more people took them up on the offer, never mind all the businesses affected as well. They also needed a new sponsor, after TTP backed out of its 5 year deal.

We're constantly expanding the airport..why not have it there like they do in Cleveland (I think). Everyone can take that new Cambie street RAV line to get there...just in time for 2010!

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Didn't they discuss that a few years back during one of the many "the race might not happen" periods? I think they discussed having it at Boundry Bay Airport. Cleveland is one of my favorite races so having at an airport here would be pretty cool.

As for the TV contract, it's only 7 races which is a start I suppose, but you have to wonder if Cart is actually being paid. The year before last CBS showed a few races but actually charged Cart to do so. Doesn't matter up here. We see all the races via TSN.

As much as I hate to say it, with the defection of Patreeek and the IRL now running three road courses, I will probably start to watch a lot more of that this year. Eventually, the two will merge I think and everyone will be happy again.

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ticket sales sizzling for Edmonton race

TSN.ca Staff

12/15/2004

Ticket sales for the inaugural Champ Car race in Edmonton have exceeded expectations, according to race organizers.
"The response has been absolutely beyond our wildest imagination," said Edmonton Grand Prix General Manager Greg MacDonald.
"Ticket sales have been great and we haven't even started selling general admission passes yet. The three-day ticket packages have been flying out of here."
MacDonald adds the business community has also stepped up, forcing organizers to more than double the number of available trackside suites.
"We had 40 suites forecast in our original budget but we will have 80 sold by next week," said MacDonald.
"Our Canadian markets have always been strong performers in terms of support for the Champ Car product," said Champ Car Executive Vice President of Development Joe Chrnelich. "These early sales results in Edmonton however are nothing short of amazing and a credit to the promoter and the great City of Edmonton."
Plans call for 48,000 seats to be erected around the City Center Airport track with fans being able to see 95 percent of the on-track action.
The inaugural Edmonton Champ Car race is scheduled for July 17.
Road trip anyone??? Looks like it could be a great event! Racing, and partying at Cowboys!!! What happens on the road, stays on the road!

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, the season is underway...and here is the top ten for the Grand Prix of Long Beach!

1 Sebastien Bourdais 1:46:29.768
2 Paul Tracy 1:46:33.906
3 Bruno Junqueira 1:46:35.215
4 Justin Wilson 1:46:36.039
5 Mario Dominguez 1:46:37.685
6 Timo Glock 1:46:38.269
7 Ronnie Bremer 1:46:38.767
8 A.J. Allmendinger 1:46:40.713
9 Jimmy Vasser 1:46:44.574
10 Cristiano da Matta 1:46:45.842

Here as well are some pics of the race day! :p

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Those indy girls are offside. Better than last years Vancouver crop, but still terrible.

I thought it was a good race on Sunday. It has some exciting moments and a little drama. The TV coverage sucked though. If I was CART, I would be all over NBC. CART pays to have the races televised so they should at least expect a decent product. What they go Sunday was crap. Hopefully it will get better.

Only five weeks until the next race! :rolleyes:

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think that the best part of the race was when Ranger took out the wing of his teamate and spun him into the tires! ;) Daly's description during the replay was fairly humorous!

I wounder what will happen during the next few months with the speculation that Toyota and Honda are looking at leaving the IRL? Should be interesting to see if both series can get together and work some stuff out!

As for the girls...you are right, but I want to be a track official... :D

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts