Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

CCB stun Rino’s Tigers with early offensive blitz to claim first BC Provincial Cup crown

AFTN

May 25, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
CCB stun Rino’s Tigers with early offensive blitz to claim first BC Provincial Cup crown

CCB LFC United struck early and often to stun VMSL rivals Rino’s Tigers and lift their first BC Provincial A Cup with a 4-1 victory in Nanaimo on Sunday afternoon.

An impressive offensive blitz by CCB, coupled with as equally disappointing of a defensive display by Rino’s, saw the Surrey side three goals up in the first 15 minutes of Sunday’s final. Rino’s were given some hope just before half time, but it was short lived, with CCB adding a fourth just 19 seconds into the second half.

Shock and awe stuff from CCB and there was no way back for Rino’s after that.

CCB got off to a flyer and had the lead just 69 seconds in when Milad Mehrabi pounced on a loose ball, powered forward, and saw his cross deflected into his own net by Rino’s defender Danylo Smychenko.

A dream start for the Surrey side and it was only to get better.

Mamadi Camara knocked the ball away from Rino’s Jude Barrow in the 14th minute, straight into the path of Caleb Clarke who raced in on goal and finished with aplomb into the far corner, giving Tigers keeper Brandon Watson no chance.

Joy for CCB, and that increased further just 65 seconds later when Boris Si picked up a loose ball and played in Clarke again, for the former Whitecaps striker to coolly tuck home his second and give United a stunning 3-0 lead.

Rino’s were shellshocked but they gave themselves some hope when Kristian Yli-Hietanen headed a Connor Glennon cross past Luke O’Shea to reduce the deficit to two again with four minutes of the half remaining.

That goal looked to have set up a potentially cracking second half, but any hopes of a Rino’s fightback were dashed just 19 seconds after the restart.

San Jose MLS draft pick Camara had been giving the Rino’s defence fits up the wing in the first half and he continued where he left off in the second, tearing up right flank before sending a cross into Robert Giezen, who flashed a first timer past Watson to restore CCB’s three goal lead.

Rino’s had a penalty appeal waved away, but they never looked like springing the dramatic comeback and CCB comfortably saw out the rest of the match to secure a 4-1 victory and claim their first Provincial A Cup.

A fantastic and well deserved victory against an admittedly weakened Rino’s side that was missing some key players to injury and to playing with TSS Rovers on USL League 2 duty. Would they have made a difference? That’s something that can be debated, but on the form shown by CCB on the day, it’s hard to have seen any team stop that firepower.

The victory caps off a fine season for CCB that could have easily seen them win the double. Now they move on to Newfoundland in October to try and keep the Challenge Trophy in BC at the nationals. On form like we’ve seen from them this year, you wouldn’t bet against them.

Read Further on AFTN.ca

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
"A fantastic and well deserved victory against an admittedly weakened Rino’s side that was missing some key players to injury and to playing with TSS Rovers on USL League 2 duty. Would they have made a difference? "

Of course they would have made a difference!

That brings to the discussion one issue that is constantly out there and that is the involvement of certain number of players with multiple teams at the same time (different leagues and competitions though) and money being paid to some amateur players (unofficially).
In some cases, your best players are not available for the most important game for your team/club due to other duties (soccer related).
Although it is understandable that some guys want to make some money playing soccer whenever it's possible the main issue is what that "semi-pro" behaviour (by the teams and players) does to still, officially, an amateur league (or leagues).

BC Soccer should actually control all those leagues under its jurisdiction but they clearly do not do it (so it happened numerous times in the past and, I am quite sure, it is still happening out there that some players play for at least two teams at the same time).

There is no even unified BC Soccer data base that should be available online, include players' registration with any club and any league under BC Soccer umbrella, data base that would be regularly updated, show player's base info, a picture, etc.

You have to wonder what the actual BC Soccer role is. With all those leagues that exist now involving BC teams (like new CPL where a team from Victoria plays or USL 2 where TSS plays plus all those BC Soccer related amateur leagues where money should not be involved at all (VMSL, FVSL, VISL, BMSL, RASA - official winter leagues plus then multiple spring/summer leagues) such unified data base is an absolute necessity.

I have no problem guys making money by playing soccer, that is not a problem at all, but when we read how one team could not field the best 11 for arguably the most important game of the season then all this (that I mentioned above) calls for an action by BC Soccer.

BC Soccer actually should structure all local leagues (winter and spring/summer season) so it, just one example, never happens that one competition starts before the other one is completely finished.
Yes, I know it is easier said than done but it should be important to BC Soccer to streamline all activities, to unify so many different leagues, and to provide at least basic data base.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Note BC Soccer is the Provincial governing body for soccer. Key word being PROVINCIAL.

CPL, MLS, USL, USports/NCAA are all extra-provincial leagues governed elsewhere so BC Soccer has no control over their operation.

Don't think you will get any push back on a database for the various Provincial leagues though, it is long overdue. I believe Richmond got burned this season with a player who registered to play in the FVSL and the VMSL and they team had no way of knowing, other than taking the player at his word. It also came up in the B Provincials a couple of seasons ago where a player was found to be double registered and a team was disqualified. With technology these days there seems no reason why there cannot be a centralized electronic database that would solve those problems.

As for the other leagues, MLS and CPL are full professional leagues, so once a players leaves and signs there they are gone permanently as they would need to reapply for amateur status before they are able to play in BC Soccer governed competitions again. As for USL League 2 and the various college leagues, as they are not governed by BC Soccer players are allowed to play in both. These teams are not blindsided however, they are very aware of their players other commitments. It is unfortunate that the Pollisis, among others, were not available for this match, but Rino's would have always known that it was a possibility and chose to accept that risk.

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canucks4Ever,

I know that CPL, MSL, USL, and USports/NCAA are not under BC Soccer jurisdiction. When I mentioned one database system I was referring to the leagues under BC Soccer jurisdiction (5 winter leagues and not sure how many spring/summer leagues). At least that should be easily achieved. It requires some work but it should be easy otherwise what really the point is paying any fees to BC Soccer.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canucks4Ever,

I know that CPL, MSL, USL, and USports/NCAA are not under BC Soccer jurisdiction. When I mentioned one database system I was referring to the leagues under BC Soccer jurisdiction (5 winter leagues and not sure how many spring/summer leagues). At least that should be easily achieved. It requires some work but it should be easy otherwise what really the point is paying any fees to BC Soccer.
Ok, fully agree re database. But then you lose me on what this has to do with yesterday's final...

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Comment by AFTN: "Would they have made a difference?".
Now, why exactly Rino could not field the best 11 may not be directly related to what I said but I do feel that one BC Soccer database (where all leagues should register their players; the list of players registered for each team being public) would fix certain problems re double registrations.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not really sure who was missing and if they were key players but it baffles me that anyone would miss a provincial final to play the first league game for TSS for fcuk sakes.

binderdonedat

Mar 28, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rumor has it this was the reason tigers were not able to field the best 11. Saudi oil tankers caring all the paychecks were attacked on the way to Nanaimo

Last edited:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts