Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Caps poised to leave USL

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
As I stated in another thread, i thought this was the last year the Caps were going to be involved with the USL, as far as their first mens team is concerned, even though they don't join MLS till 2011.
The coles notes version of the saga is here: http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/?s=United+Soccer+Leagues+at+a+Crossroads
For those of you interested in the In-depth goings on of the "TOA" and USL situation over the last 2 years you can get up to speed here (not really worth the time, but you might want to...)
USL1 in Crisis - United Soccer Leagues - Soccer forum - BigSoccer
then here: News: USL/TOA discussion thread - United Soccer Leagues - Soccer forum - BigSoccer

Report: Whitecaps, Impact will not return to USL in 2010

Although the Montreal Impact defeated the Vancouver Whitecaps in this past month's USL final, it appears as though neither team will be in the league next season according to one of the league's two owners, Alek Papadakis.
In an interview with Montreal radio station CKAC, Papadakis confirmed that neither of the Canadian based clubs would be part of the USL for the 2010 season after the two sides failed to reach an agreement for continuing play next season and that the T.O.A (Team Owner's Association) was ready to move in another direction.
"The negotiations are finished," Papadakis told CKAC. "We decided to continue our preparation for the season 2010 with the teams which wished to remain with us."
Papadakis also stated that there were no hard feelings on either side.
"I would like to thank the two Canadian teams, the WhiteCaps and the Impact, for all that contributed to the USL for the past few years," Papadakis told CKAC. "They were excellent for our League and I have much admiration for them. Now, I wish them good luck in their future plans. "
While Papadakis is stating that the Impact and Whitecaps time in the USL is done, no one from either team has made an announcement on the subject. As of the time of publishing the Impact were still selling season tickets to the 2010 USL season on their website.
While the Whitecaps are scheduled to join the MLS in time for 2011 season the potential loss of the Impact could be devastating for professional soccer in Montreal.
CKAC is reporting that the Impact have one of two options, either attempting to create a rival circuit with other rogue league owners or potentially wait and join MLS Division II which is being discussed as potentially launching next year.​

Bobbaduzzi weighs in: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2009/10/28/sp-impact-witecaps.html

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
This will make for very very interesting stuff in the local soccer scene.

Will the Caps leave the Women in the W-League, will they leave their PDL team in place, what of the Super -Y league teams? These all belong to the USL and NuRock.

The MLS 2 Idea is kind of cool. It is a non relegation/promotion league (think AHL to NHL) where MLS 1 teams can loan players etc back and forth, or choose to play their reserve teams in this league.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
If they do not stay in the league with at least one of their teams...Anyone can pay the fee and have a PDL or USL team here.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jay #7 good Canadian never talks about work visa. We are here to help all. Darn it don't bring heat on to good guys. Not nice.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0