Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canucks: For Sale

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Holy hockey pucks, Batman!
Vancouver Canucks likely sold to local businessmen
September, 14 - 7:47 AM
VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980)--Two highly successful Vancouver business leaders could be the new owners of the Vancouver Canucks.

The Vancouver Sun says an agreement-in-principle has been reached for the sale of the club and GM Place between owner John McCaw and Tom Gaglardi and Ryan Beedie.

Gaglardi is President of Northlands Property Corp., which owns the Sandman Hotels chain, founded by his father , Bob, in 1963.

Ryan Beedie is CEO of the Beedie group, a Burnaby-based construction company that was founded by his father Keith in 1954.

It owns many large industrial parks on the Lower Mainland.

The Sun says talks have been going on for months, and a final deal could be at least a couple of months away.

It says a number of issues are still to be resolved.
Rumour or fact? Will this fall through? Will Burke kick McCaw in the ass on the way outta town?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't see this deal going through with a prolonged lockout. Who knows what the fan backlash is going to be when play resumes, especially if a whole season is lost?

Interesting point though, Keeper... I wonder if the potential new ownership would consider bringing back Burkie if Stan-boy was out of the picture?

~Regs.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That'd be quite the slap in the face to Noonis, who willbe a very good GM.

Personally, I feel Cobb was the bigger loss. Burke is a great businessman, but overrated as a hockey man. Note his failure to bring in a proven keeper and his failure to add much needed playoff grit. When he let Trent Klatt go, everyone was saying that it'd come back to bite the team, and it sure as hell did. Who knows...with Klatter in the room, perhaps he'd have been able to help diffuse the Steve Moore hit on Naslund, and bring some reason to the situation (i.e.: not encouraging Bert to go out and main the kid as Brad may did).

Anyhow, a tangent.

The news is exciting...sounds like a solid group, and you can't beat local ownership. I wonder if there is a headliner in the mix, like Geoff Courtnal?

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
When he let Trent Klatt go, everyone was saying that it'd come back to bite the team, and it sure as hell did.
Give it a rest. Klatt is a second rate, career third liner. Just because the guy shakes like a fool when the national anthem was on and loved the city, half you tossers love him. He had a 'half decent' season here his last year here and that is it. Look where LA got with him and all his minutes last year.

Good riddance.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Him or Brad May? Solid 3rd liner, or idiot 4th liner? One would have helped in the late going, the other didn't and won't.

~Tosser.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're really quite sad when your points are disagreed with or disputed. You get all subtle and surreal… Do you need a new band aid to close up that gash between your legs?

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude:

Dave Cobb of soccer fame (former SFU soccer defender during the early 80s) was the business guy at Orca Bay. He put the business side in good financial order including the pay tv deals, etc. and Brian Burke did the hockey side and obviously did a good job working within the owners cost expectations. It is fair to say that Brian also did a good job with the business community in rebuilding the relations there and doing a lot of community speeches, etc to bring the ticket buyers back.

Dave is a huge loss to Orca Bay in that he enjoys good relations with the business community, the sports talk show hosts, the media and the fans. I suspect from what Dave doesn't say is that half the time he spent at Orca Bay was smoothing the waters between Brian and Stan. The latter is a calm businessman who doesn't relate well to sports media and the other has a huge chip on his shoulder and is always ready to fight.

There are two issues with new owners:
1. do they have the money to finance the purchase AND run the team, because when they lose money, the team often suffers.
2.What do the new owners do with respect to getting involved in the team operations is huge. Let's face it, owners of pro teams mostly get in for the ego and some are complete egotists that screw up things.

At least McCaw is a corporate type with a focus on the bottom line that was healthy for the success of the Canucks here. If he wasn't who knows where the team would be in terms of the quality of players and franchise success.

Okay, they did fcuk up big time with Mark Messier and Mike Keenan and appointing local business Stephen Bellringer as President & CEO back in 1998 or thereabouts, but the Burke - Cobb era was great in that they have built a quality organization and hockey team that competes every game.

Local owners are good if they don't screw it up and let their egos drive the business.

Who knows, but if the proposed owners liked Brian Burke would they then go to him and say you can be President and CEO when we take over? One school of thought is that would be the right thing for a new owner to do and let the owners chair/ co-chair the board of directors. The issue there would be if Brian could do that job and let Dave Nonis continue as GM. That might be hard for Brian as he seems to like the connection to the hockey side of things more than the business side. I suspect Dave Nonis might have misgivings about whether his good friend should come back if the job was offered as he'd interfere in the GM's job that he has won legitimately.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not to nitpick, because I agree with most of what you've stated, but Burke's record on the pure hockey side of the show wasn't the best. His best players were inherited, and he didn't make the deals the team needed.

That stated, he drove the boat. All the reasons you've stated in support of Cobb I 100% agree with. In addition to that, Burke was a great spokesperson for the team, and was the link between the business and hockey side. That's why I say he was a better businessman.

Your scenario could be a good one, though, so long as Burke were to let Noonis run the player personnel.

I have to go bail out the wife's washer now...

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
pouty bitch said:
Not to nitpick, because I agree with most of what you've stated, but Burke's record on the pure hockey side of the show wasn't the best. His best players were inherited, and he didn't make the deals the team needed.
Now don’t go off and pout, again, but there are VERY FEW GM’s in the NHL that haven’t inherited teams. I think its what they do/ run that team that counts. Now, to insure you don’t bang your head off a wall and cry I agree he didn’t make enough or all the right deals.

Don't bail it out dumbass... turn it on, then advance the cycle thru to Spin. I hear you can do that with them new fangled-fancy-dancy machines.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why do you have to be so mean? See, this is why people don't like you. Jerk.

It has so many lights and buttons. No dial like the old one. I'll just cover my eyes, start pressing buttons, and see what happens.

If you see a story in the paper tomorrow about a dumbass home business guy who drowned while surfing the net, you know what happened.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
turn it on, then advance the cycle thru to Spin

Well, it's heartening to know there is a ready-made replacement for Martha Stewart while she's in jail.

I like Burke and his cantankerosity but he sure didn't seem brave enough to pull the trigger on any higher-risk trades/moves. Don't think bringing him back would be a step forward, honestly.

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
local lads with local players (canadian players ) would sound great ,matbe even bring griffiths ,quinn & burke into the system again --

thispostdidntuseanysmiles

sid

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts