Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canucks 2021/2022

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
OEL is already on the downside of his career... he's on 8.25 for another 6 years so the Canucks will pay him a tick over 7... Garland is an RFA who will need about 4 so Benning will give him 5... there's your 12 million for one less rostered player, and you give up a 2, 7, and top 10 stud who would be under team control on an ELC for three years right when your kids are hitting their prime.

This is Benning desperate to save his job and mortgaging the next decade or so to do it.

Awful deal.

EDIT: Unless of course they win it all in the next couple years. Then: worth it. But they were a bad hockey team this past season, and there are other ascendant teams... we shall see...

Last edited:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Top 10 stud?

Isn't this draft class not that great this year or something? With covid shut downs and whatnot, do picks this year require an extra year of development? I mean at some point, you have to consider the core they already invested in and make sure to not waste THEIR prime years.

Salary cap is only gonna go up in future years, I don't see the problem here.

Yeah, the contract isn't great but he will eat up minutes AND we get a top 6 forward out of it.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
OEL is already on the downside of his career... he's on 8.25 for another 6 years so the Canucks will pay him a tick over 7... Garland is an RFA who will need about 4 so Benning will give him 5... there's your 12 million for one less rostered player, and you give up a 2, 7, and top 10 stud who would be under team control on an ELC for three years right when your kids are hitting their prime.

This is Benning desperate to save his job and mortgaging the next decade or so to do it.

Awful deal.
Disagree on this take.

Unloading those contracts now lets us get Petey and Hughes signed long term now, instead of bridge deals. Should keep them at a reasonable number through their most competitive years.

OEL is only 30. Yes the contract is long but we need defense and the guy is still a top pair or second pair bona fide NHL d-man. Think a change of scenery might be what he needs.

Garland is due a raise, but he fits in with our young core. 39 points in 49 games last year, so you know he can play in the NHL. No guarantee whoever you take at #9 can do that anytime soon for a team that wants to be a legit contender within 2-3 years.

The draft picks are a steep price to pay to dig out of self-inflicted wounds with the Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel contracts, but I think moving them on also gives the dressing room a sense that the Canucks want to get going on winning this season, rather than just running out the clock on those deals. Getting Phoenix to retain some salary also helps.

Not saying it's a great trade, but definitely not "awful" IMO. We paid a price, but we got some value too.

For what it's worth all the talking heads and pundits seem to think it was a good deal by the Canucks...

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Disagree on this take.

Unloading those contracts now lets us get Petey and Hughes signed long term now, instead of bridge deals. Should keep them at a reasonable number through their most competitive years.

OEL is only 30. Yes the contract is long but we need defense and the guy is still a top pair or second pair bona fide NHL d-man. Think a change of scenery might be what he needs.

Garland is due a raise, but he fits in with our young core. 39 points in 49 games last year, so you know he can play in the NHL. No guarantee whoever you take at #9 can do that anytime soon for a team that wants to be a legit contender within 2-3 years.

The draft picks are a steep price to pay to dig out of self-inflicted wounds with the Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel contracts, but I think moving them on also gives the dressing room a sense that the Canucks want to get going on winning this season, rather than just running out the clock on those deals. Getting Phoenix to retain some salary also helps.

Not saying it's a great trade, but definitely not "awful" IMO. We paid a price, but we got some value too.

For what it's worth all the talking heads and pundits seem to think it was a good deal by the Canucks...
Nice take!
Playing in Arizona must take its toll. Im under the impression OEL checked out. Excited to see how this plays out

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
if he checked out and has a lot left in the tank, and if Garland can continue to produce despite less ice time than he got in Phoenix, and if the team makes a deep playoff run and/or wins it all in the next couple years, then yeah it starts to look a lot better.

on the other hand, if OEL has started to slip because Phoenix has had to use him like the proverbial government mule his whole career, and if Garland finds himself buried on the third line, and if the team fails to get past both Colorado and Vegas and soon... well, that's not so good.

there may be short term gain. there will be long term pain. just depends whether that's a tradeoff you're comfortable making. I know one of the sportswriters in Boston; the Bruins weren't going near OEL unless Phoenix retained way more money. I'm glad they passed...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed forward Conor Garland to a five-year contract worth an average annual value of $4.95 million.

If he produces as he was in AZ, that's a good piece of business.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
On another topic. I hear Schmidt turned down a trade to Winnipeg. At first I was okay with him wanting out and didn't mind him as a person. After the Bullshit he pulled this past weekend in Vegas playing for the knights organization in some charity event clearly shows why he struggled last year. Dude never got over the trade. Fcuk this guy.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah. So if you are turning down a deal to Winnipeg, clearly it’s not all about the hockey and chance to win.

Get over it man. They traded you away. Now you are in a beautiful city, great lifestyle, and playing in front of fans who’ll love you if you can just play reasonably ok. So yeah…..fcuk this guy…..except probably our best scenario is if he sucks it up and just stays.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
So Jumbo Jim buys out Holtby but wants to sign Halak or Riantta? Am I missing something.

Leafs are rumored to be getting Holtby for 5 cents to the dollar now.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good luck with Halak; dude is a snap-show whenever his D costs him a goal... should go over well with Hughes and Myers...

Did I not call the Garland number? Benning is nothing if not predictable... to be clear, they've improved their team for the short term but actually lost cap space given that OEL and Garland are 2/12 and the three players jettisoned also added up to 12...

Schmidt - he has a modified NTC and apparently a lot of players put the Canadian teams on as a rule because of the tax situation... I'm not sure I'd want to live in Winnipeg for the shitty months either; it's like Bobby Axelrod said: "what's the point of having fcuk you money if you don't occasionally use it to say fcuk you?"

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts