Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canucks 2016/2017 Season

Canucks will make the playoffs (early season edition)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was the goals against the coaches fault ? Miller lost focus perhaps but 4 goals in that time isn't cause coach was putting out the wrong lines. We simply are depleted on the back end and don't have the players. A coaching change doesn't change the results with this team.

C'mon @LION . You know as well as I do its easier to fire the coach then the whole team. Consumer confidence as discussed through out the media is at an all time low and that needs to be addressed and something needs to be done ASAP . Its BenLindens 1 get out a jail card.

If your menu's the shits and the cook keeps burning the food you dont fire your servers.

Willie has made many questionable coaching decisions and many times looks to be in way over his head. His gameplan's blow. I'd did say we would suck a few more years and thats ok as long as the young kids see light at the end of the tunnel. The Culture through the process is important. Willie isnt the Guy.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't think a coaching change would change the results. Sure media is all over it. But that's the media, they ruin enough with this hockey team.
What would change?
Would elder and Tanev get healthy? The Sedins roll back the clock? Miller get back to his prime?
Who do we have that is even close to a superstar right now.
We simply don't have the players. If anything it's more on the GM and president.

Most pro analysts and EA sports all had Canucks dead last. So if anything he is doing better than what was expected right?
I personally didn't expect anything from the Canucks this season. I want them to be bottom 3.
Torts couldn't do it. But now on fire in Columbus.
Alain got fired and now top of the tables as usual.
I promise you guys the new coach won't bring anything at all in change of results.
And do we seriously want to get higher up the table for a 10th overall pic?
You want to see them 20th overall rather then 30th? (Which is like a 6-8 point difference right now)

We saw them score 6 goals last night, entertaining, and we still got the loss and that much closer to a top 3 pick in the draft next year. Win win sitch for sure! Good job coach!

Our fans and media are such head hunters. But seriously.

What did you guys expect this season?
Did you expect play offs?
Did you want one and done play offs?

Best thing for this club is to tank and get another top pick and acquire some more pics at the deadline for guys like Miller etc.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
There is consumer confidence and then calling a spade a spade. Any hockey fan who knows how it works should know a complete rebuild is needed and tanking for 3 seasons is the only way out.

Right Edmonton?
Right chicago?
Right penguins?
Right Tampa?

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't think a coaching change would change the results. Sure media is all over it. But that's the media, they ruin enough with this hockey team.
What would change? PERCEPTION
Would elder and Tanev get healthy? The Sedins roll back the clock? Miller get back to his prime? NO
Who do we have that is even close to a superstar right now. FIN
We simply don't have the players. If anything it's more on the GM and president.

Most pro analysts and EA sports all had Canucks dead last. So if anything he is doing better than what was expected right? YES FIRE HIM
I personally didn't expect anything from the Canucks this season. I want them to be bottom 3. WILLIE WILL FCUK THAT UP
Torts couldn't do it. But now on fire in Columbus.
Alain got fired and now top of the tables as usual.
I promise you guys the new coach won't bring anything at all in change of results.
And do we seriously want to get higher up the table for a 10th overall pic? NO
You want to see them 20th overall rather then 30th? (Which is like a 6-8 point difference right now) NO

We saw them score 6 goals last night, entertaining, and we still got the loss and that much closer to a top 3 pick in the draft next year. Win win sitch for sure! Good job coach!

Our fans and media are such head hunters. But seriously.

What did you guys expect this season? HOPE
Did you expect play offs? NO
Did you want one and done play offs? NO

Best thing for this club is to tank and get another top pick and acquire some more pics at the deadline for guys like Miller etc.

I'm all in for a high draft pick. Its not about the results for me either. Its about the culture and Development of our young players now. This Coach gets you half way up the mountain then tells you to turn around. How is that good for our kids? Its a total mind fcuk for these Kids and does nothing but demoralize them which at a young age can ruin a career.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did you just write that Edmonton tanked for three years? Haven't they missed the playoffs for like ten years? We are in a rebuild whether they call it one or not. I say try to be competitive but keep adding players to the depth. Goalies look good the D is getting younger now add some skill up front.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
We all know Edmonton took a lot longer. Just bunched them in the group that had to hit rock bottom for minimum of 3 seasons to get game changers like Stamkos, Toews, Kane, Crosby, Malkin etc etc.

they are competitive and in most games. Even that massive losing streak many games were one goal and tight games. We totally need some fire power up front. But draft is really the only way to acquire that these days.

Tank! tank! Tank! Tank! Frank the tank!
(That guy is a legend)

Last edited:

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm all in for a high draft pick. Its not about the results for me either. Its about the culture and Development of our young players now. This Coach gets you half way up the mountain then tells you to turn around. How is that good for our kids? Its a total mind fcuk for these Kids and does nothing but demoralize them which at a young age can ruin a career.

Love the answers in red. Best answer made me lol was Fin.
You are right there. That guy shows no sign of slowing down. Good on him.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm all in for a culture change. Here's the problem: mandate from ownership is to "make the playoffs". The next coach will do the same as the current coach: play it safe instead of playing the kids.

Why wasn't Subban brought up to fill in for Edler? Why Biega? Fcuking Biega? Are you kidding me?

17 points, 22 games. Who cares if he's small? Who cares if he's a gambler? Get him up here, he's earned it, is producing, and at some point they need to make a call on this guy...is he an NHLer or not? Stecher is up here for his offense, creativity, and smart all-around play, no? They list him at 5'10", 190 lbs.

They list Subban at 5'9", 181. Short, sure, but obviously mobile and skilled, and at 5'9", 180 lbs, built like a fire hydrant.

WTF?

If the culture change includes getting the kids in here to play- and trip up along the way- so be it. I hate, fcuking HATE the safe play at this point. I want to see kids in there that deserve to be in there.

So, Virtanen? He can sit a while longer, till the pout in his lip lifts up. Fcuking baby.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What was TO's record last year with the best coach in hockey (he'll tell you that) behind the bench? It's the players and not the coach.

And as for drafting, my understanding is that all 5 players drafted in 2014 (Benning's first) are all going to play in the NHL. THIS is why he was hired. As for player management, contracts etc I think they're out of their element.

A proper rebuild also can't happen with the Sedins in the team.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
What was TO's record last year with the best coach in hockey (he'll tell you that) behind the bench? It's the players and not the coach.

And as for drafting, my understanding is that all 5 players drafted in 2014 (Benning's first) are all going to play in the NHL. THIS is why he was hired. As for player management, contracts etc I think they're out of their element.

That's the difference and more or less the point I am trying to Make here. Babcock is part of the plan to grow the young players on the team. How many coaches has Edmonton had in the last 10 years and how has that worked out?

Canuck's need to follow the Toronto Model and put a coach in place for long term. There I said it. You happy now @The Franchise

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

...and that coach (Babs) nurtured his young players through a tough couple of years to the point that now, you can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Now, Mathews helps that a lot, don't get me wrong, but still, you don't get the feeling that the Leafs are a directionless franchise.

This issue may in fact be bigger than coaching, I can totally believe that. It very well could be ownership meddling that is delaying a full-blown rebuild. I want the rebuild. I don't want a coach hellbent on winning; I want a coach hellbent on attacking and a speed game, and able to accept the consequences of their mistakes.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Coach Willie is awful...worst decision was getting rid of AV instead of the cancer in the dressing room.
Yes!
They should have shook up the room heavy and kept AV. Kesler and assholes gone and we would have got better pieces back then before it all leaked and all.

AV is the man. We could have done a lot better if we timed our trades better. Loungo. Kesler. Maybe an elder all after the run we had. We would have re up'D big time.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
...and that coach (Babs) nurtured his young players through a tough couple of years to the point that now, you can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Now, Mathews helps that a lot, don't get me wrong, but still, you don't get the feeling that the Leafs are a directionless franchise.

This issue may in fact be bigger than coaching, I can totally believe that. It very well could be ownership meddling that is delaying a full-blown rebuild. I want the rebuild. I don't want a coach hellbent on winning; I want a coach hellbent on attacking and a speed game, and able to accept the consequences of their mistakes.

I agree that I think ownership is the problem but they can call it what they want we are in a rebuild. If they weren't making plans for the future and trying to win right away they would not have taken the Juolevi in last years draft. They knew he wasn't going to help them for a couple of years and they could have had Tkachuk for a more immediate impact. Forwards take less time to develop then D-men. They appear to be taking care of the defense first because it will take longer before they can be relied on. That was the problem in Edmonton they kept taking skilled forwards but their back end and goalies were a mess. If it wasn't for winning the lottery and gifting them McDavid they would still be spinning their tires.

Oh and isn't this the second year with Babcock and they left a lot of their prospects like Nylander and Marner off the team last year because they did not want them in the losing environment. I am not sure if that is what you meant by nurture but that is a good reason not to rush Virtanen or any other young players and let these guys play at the lower levels. People keep saying play the young players but rushing them may ruin them. Let the players like the Sedin's take the abuse from the media and fans so the young players don't have to until they are ready to step up and lead.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes!
They should have shook up the room heavy and kept AV. Kesler and assholes gone and we would have got better pieces back then before it all leaked and all.

AV is the man. We could have done a lot better if we timed our trades better. Loungo. Kesler. Maybe an elder all after the run we had. We would have re up'D big time.

Don't get me started how they somehow fcuked up both trades in the Canuck's greatest assets....goal-tending.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, let's talk about the Sedins...

They were given time and rope. They were given second line minute, and second unit PP time, whether they were ready or not, and they accepted the responsibility. They were also given a completely clean slate by the coach, with guidance, to develope.

I think that worked? Last I checked, pretty good players.

I like the concept of rewarding where deserved. Nobody can tell me Subban hasn't earned a call-up.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't get me started how they somehow fcuked up both trades in the Canuck's greatest assets....goal-tending.
Unless you have an all-world type of goalie like Price I'm fine with having decent goalkeeping and spending more on D and forwards. I prefer having Bo to Schneider (and I loved having Schneider in the team). You have to go 48 goalies deep before you hit a goalie who has a save % of less that .900...as there are SO many goalies who are good now. What's important is getting hot at playoffs.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sedin's started as third liners were allowed to develop behind the West Coast express and if I remember even Trevor came back when they were young players. That meant that even though they got criticism at a young age the bulk of it was directed at players like Nasland and the veterans. That is my point about keeping the Sedin's so the Horvat's and other future stars of the team don't get ruined before they get a chance to develop. They did not become first line players and the faces of the franchise until their six season season or so but people are calling for Bo to get first line minutes now in his third season and to put Virtanen on the first line and blah, blah, blah. I think they set Virtanen's and McCann's career back by having them on the team last year. Now McCann has been traded and is playing in the AHL and Virtanen is in the AHL. Hopefully they get back on track and can be productive NHL players.

Suban is a curios one. They obviously don't feel his game will translate to the NHL but I do agree they should give him a shot. I think the emergence of Stecher hurt his chances here but who knows.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Subban deserves a shot for sure. Why not. Nothing to lose there. Great points by all. I'm in the same boat. Let the young guys develop as we ride out the Sedins. Trade some assets for more picks. We are not winning anytime soon so just develop our young guys to be ready for 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0