Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canuck 2012 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Armchair GM time. Remember that the CBA has expired once this season is over and we have the outside chance that the current way salary caps work and cap hits are calculated could change, but for the sake of the exercise and banter let's leave the Cap Rules as they are now.

Forwards (10 under contract)
Sedin 6.1
Sedin 6.1
Kesler 5.0
Booth 3.882
Malhotra 2.5
Burrows 2.0
Higgins 1.9
Hansen 1.35
Lapierre 1.0
Kassian .870
Defense (5 under contract)
Bieksa 4.6
Hamhuis 4.5
Ballard 4.2
Edler 3.25
Alberts 1.225
Tanev .900
Goalies (1 under contract)
Luongo 5.333

Total Cap Hit committed for 2012/13: $54.71M
Cap for 2011/12: 64.3M
Rumored Cap for 2012/13: Who the Eff Knows, so let's use 67M for a laugh.
Therefore you have $12.29M to work with.

Canucks have all their Draft Picks save the 3rd and 4th rounds. (Picking ~26th)

'Nucks UFA's: Volpatti, Pinizzotto, Pahlsson, Bitz, Ebbet, Salo & Rome
'Nucks RFA's: Schneider, Raymond, Gragnani, Weise, Mancari, Duco, Lack, Oreskovich.

I've given you all the details you need to break out the abacus and throw your ideas around. Here's a soothing way for us Canucks Fans to trade away the losers, fire the coach, and play GM Mike Gillis for a day. :)

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
To start get a coach that's tougher and more animated and doesn't mind dragging the odd "super stars" name in the mud for a day or two to get what you want out of the underacheiver. It's just time for a change and you have to start with him.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN

i hear 69M Cap

Easy stuff son.

Ship Kesler, Booth and Ballard out to Columbus for Nash and a pick

Send Luongo and Edler and 2nd rd pick to Tampa for Hedman and Malone and TB's 3rd rounder

sign a couple UFA's

D. Sedin 6.1
H. Sedin 6.1
Parise 6.1

Malone 4.5
Nash 7.8
Burrows 2.0

Jansen 1.35
Malhotra 2.5
Higgins 1.9

Tootoo 1.5
Lapierre 1.0
Kassian .870

Bieksa 4.6
Hamhuis 4.5
Hedman 4.0
Ryan Suter 5.5
Willie Mitchell 2.5
Tanev .9

forwards 41.72
defense 22.00

enough left for Schnieds and some filler

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
You must be good at NHL'12... how is CBJ going to take on 13 Mill in Booth, Kesler, and Ballard?
Suter is getting 7+
Mitchell isn't coming back here anytime soon.
Hedman isn't going to be traded by Tampa. What good is a goalie if you have pylons in front of him?
Trading Edler is fools errand.

Try again.

WaterBreak

Feb 18, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
you guys have it all wrong. start at the top, get gillis out of there so he can finally get some sleep, and hire burke back. solves all the problems. burke only builds winners. who says you can drink and post.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's some more realistic moves, but obviously they are all reaches, this IS armchair gm'ing afterall ;)

Sign Schneider. 4M per for 3-4. In line between Price and Ward. Makes sense. Cap space is at 8.29.
Sign Lack @ .900. Cap space is at 7.39.
resign Salo @ 1.5M. Cap space is at 5.89.
Trade Luongo to Tampa for one of their first rounders. Cap space is at 11.22
Trade Kesler, Bieksa Ballard and said first rounder (or both our first rounders) to Nashville for Weber and Fisher. Cap Space at 20.82
Sign Weber to 8 M per. Cap Space at 12.82
Sign Colin Fraser (*4th line C pain in the ass from LA) 950k. Cap Space at 11.87
Sign Parenteau for 4 M per. Cap Space at 7.87
Resign Gragnani at 950k. Cap Space at 6.92
Sign Sheldon Souray at 2. Cap Space at 4.92
Trade Raymond for a 3rd or 4th round pick or used skate sharpening machine and used practice pucks to a team needing to hit the cap floor

With almost 5,000,000 in space left you have:

Burrows Sedin Sedin
Booth Fisher Parenteau
Hansen Lapierre Higgins
Kassian Fraser Malhotra

Weber Hamhuis
Edler Salo
Tanev Souray
Alberts Gragnani.

Schneider and Lack.

You have depth on 2 way and EL deals in Chicago like Jordan Schroeder, Andrew Gordon, Yann Sauve, Kevin Connaughton, Bill Sweatt, Weise, Rodin, Nicklas Jensen etc.

You look at that team vs our team now... no comparison.

That being said you'd have to convince Nashville that they need to resign Suter and trading away Weber to get them enough pieces for it to make sense could take some doing, hell I'd trade both First Rounders to get Fisher and Weber if that is what my team looks like...

With 5.0M on the books you could do something different and even take a run at Parise, like scrapping PA Parenteau (who had another very underrated season this year) for 4 and paying Parise 7 and you're left with 2.0M in free space.

More importantly you have got rid of some lightning rods, got a Vezina candidate, you have overhauled the leadership group. You have given Hamhuis his old partner back. You have got more "Canadian" you have got bigger, tougher and imho, generally more difficult to play against. You've also now got 3 BIGTIME point guys with sledgehammer shots in Souray Salo and Weber for the Twins to play catch with on the PP

You have 3 lines capable of scoring with a pain in the but checking 4th line, instead of the 3rd line being the "checking line" with the 4th line being total plugs, you have 4 lines capable of skating 10 mins plus in the NHL

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can't believe you took the words right outta my mouth Johnny. Exactly what I'd do!:rolleyes:

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's a more simplistic/realistic offseason, requiring no homeruns get hit July 1.

Trade Luongo and Raymond across for Lecavalier. Cap Space @ 9.896 (Tampa need goalies and has little they're willing to trade for it of value)
Trade Kesler straight across for Bobby Ryan. Cap Space @ 9.796 (they need a C in the worst way and have no choice but to pay)
Re Sign Salo @ 1.5, Weise @ .750, Gragnani @ .800, Lack @ .900, Schneider @ 4.0. Cap Space @ ~2.0M (all fair equitable #'s)
Sign Colin Fraser @ 1.0 and Cody McLeod @ 700k and you're close to the Cap with this:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Lecavalier Ryan
Hansen Lapierre Higgins
Kassian Fraser Malhotra (McLeod & Weise as spares)
Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Salo
Tanev Ballard (Alberts & Gragnani as spares)
Schneider & Lack.

Bigger and Stronger up front, with a proven Centre over 6'4 that has and can score and has won a cup, along with a power forward winger with a proven scoring ability.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think you have been consulting Dude Johnny because there are some serious flaws in your rebuild. No way Kesler, Bieksa and Luongo are all getting traded in the same year. They all have no trade contracts and if the team asked them all to waive them in the same year what would that say to future free agents. We also have to consider that if Nashville gets to the final they might be able to convince Suter and Weber to stay and if not we are competing with Detroit for their services. Lecavalier has a no trade also and he pays no taxes in Tampa so he may not want to leave.

It should be interesting off season but the only player that I see moving that has a no trade will be Luongo and I hope we don't regret that one in the next couple of years.

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
even if you are getting rid of Luongo's contract, i don't think you want lecavalier's contract back, plus as mentioned, no taxes in florida and a NTC that i don't see Lecavalier waiving.

I think the bold move for the offseason is an offer sheet for Weber. It won't do any favours for GMMG dealing with other GMs, but they would have to respect the move.

If they were to offer sheet him, and he were to sign, the compensation would be (based on 2011-2012 numbers, they may bump up a bit this offseason):

$6,268,175 — $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third $7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks.

If they offered 8m per for 8 or 10 seasons (Weber turns 27 in August, just entering his prime as a dman), i don't think there is any chance that Nas matches, especially if they were to sign Suter and already have Blum, Ellis, Josi and Klein on the back-end and if they were to receive 4 first round picks.

But, i do think the Nucks could force Nas out with coming in just under the top end compensation. If they offered Weber 7.8 for 10 years, I don't think that Nashville would match, as they could be tied down to Rinne and Suter already at big money. This would be a huge win for the nucks as they would only be giving up 2 first round picks (realistically/idealistically, picks in the 20-30 range) and a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a (possible) back to back Norris candidate, just entering his prime, who has put up 23, 16, 16 and 19 goals per year his last 4 years (imagine Weber on the point with the sedins, he could be a perennial 25 goal, 65-70 point dman). In addition, Weber is a beast defensively, and as johnny mentioned, pairing him with Hamhuis would give the nucks a top 5 shutdown pairing.

Obviously they would need to clear some cap space, but with the savings from going to Schneider from Luongo, and they would have to dump Ballards contract for whatever they could get. But if the payoff is Weber for the next 10 years, I would dump Ballard for a mid to late round pick and Luongo should bring back Malone (ideally Purcell, but Tampa would have to clear more space) and a prospect or pick.

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I like the mention of Parenteau, but would question whether Moulson and Parenteau have been carried by Tavares. He does seem to be somewhat of a playmaker with 49 assists this past season, which would fit with what booth and kesler need, who are both shoot-first players (i still would have liked to have seen cody play between booth and kesler to see what would have happened.)

Two players to keep an eye on from within are Nic Jensen and Jordan Schroeder. Jensen almost made the team last season, and Schroeder has been great in the AHL playoffs for the Wolves, and has reportedly really improved his defensive game. I can see Schroeder getting a look on the 2nd-line wing next year, his speed would match booth and kesler, and his skill-set leans to play-making over goal scoring, his size (5'8", 175lbs) will be what holds him back. Jensen has the size (6'2", 200lbs) to compete, but where would he line up? Burrows still works with the Sedins, and Higgins and Hansen on the 3rd line wings still seems ideal, so that leaves the 2nd line (3 shoot first players on the same line?) or the 4th line (Kassian and Jensen as the 4th line wingers? i don't see AV doing it, but a new coach could have a look at it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts