Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canadian Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Coppertone

<font color="red">Most Irritating TTPer - November
Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here you can talk about the new team as they are picked. These are the guys that have been named to the team so far:

Mario Lemieux
Joe Sakic
Steve Yzerman
Owen Nolan
Paul Kariya
Chris Pronger
Rob Blake
Scott Niedermayer

Any thoughts on how the team looks so far?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And a big ol' can of woop-ass!

Good topic for discussion Coppertone. It has a International flavor to it, being Team Canada and all, so I thought that I would move it to the International Forum.

The way Kariya is playing I would almost consider leaving him off the team at this point. There are guys playing way better than him this year that won't even be looked at. That is kind of unfair don't you think?

Skytrain

Aug 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: And a big ol' can of woop-ass!

Originally posted by TheRob
The way Kariya is playing I would almost consider leaving him off the team at this point. There are guys playing way better than him this year that won't even be looked at. That is kind of unfair don't you think?

Kariya will shine with the talent on the Canadian team. He doesn't have anyone to help him out on the ducks, and besides his moral can't be that high right now, is he not looking for a trade? Mario is the player I would question.

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kariya

TheRob

Good to see that you made it home all right.I do have to agree that Kariya is not playing up to his potential but look at the team he plays for(they are totally shite) He is a game breaker and when surrounded with the talent on the Olympic team he will shine like the star that he is.As for others being added,I hope they go with youth with speed and endurance to fill the rest of the roster.Iginla,Smyth(if healthy)Oneill and Jovanoski(sp) would all be capable of keeping up to those fast Europeans on the bigger ice surface

Go Canada Go

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
THE LAST WORD ...WITH TA

What you guys have been saying about Kariya is so true. He is very capable of being one of the best players in the NHL but he needs some help. His speed and vision will allow him to do well in the olympics.

Who the fcuk is Ed Jovanoski? He doesn't deserve to be on the olympic team. He has average offensive numbers but the guy has been scary all year on defense. He's given the puck away more than Dana Murzyn.

Iginla has earned a spot just with his play alone. And I think that they will pick either Ryan Symth or O'Neill. Not both. Also look for Brendan Shanahan to make another Apperance for team Canada.

This is the Apprentice and I Know the Score!

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Forgot about these guys

Look for Theo Fleury, and Eric Lindros both to be named to the team come Saturday. Their slow start hurt their chances but these two have been one of the best duo's of late and should be named to the team.

Mike Peca will also grab a spot on team Canada. He's a leader, and a great checker and would be a good fit on a checking line.

Primeau, Recchi, and Gange. Out of these three maybe 2 or even all three will be on the team. :confused:

The last group of players ... Carter, thornton, symth, niewendyk,O'neill,Morrow, Tanguay, will all be fighting for maybe one or two available spots.

It should be fun to see who's on the team come Saturday.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This just in!!!!

TheRob's contacts tell him that Gretzky is leaving one spot on the team empty on Saturday. That spot is apperantly for..............HIM!:eek:

Shocking news!;)

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What, no comments on the Gretzky rumour?

Anyhow, Ref Beater wrote in the Canucks thread.....
now guys tell me where the fcuk they would be with dan cloutier he has been playing very well lately and getting better game after game.. ya last nights peno was horribly taken but still he was there.. he made some outstanding saves and has my early vote for "the robs canuck of the week
I seriously think Cloutier should be considered as the third string keeper for the Olympic team. The guy has had a great year so far. At the very least he is worth a look.

brum

Oct 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
gretzky

if he came back i think personally he wont help canada.. dont get me wrong he was the greatest of all time but hes slow now and out of shape (sounds like me:D ) i just dont see him keeping up with caliber(sp) at the olympics.. it would be awesome to see gretz and lemieux together.. does anyone know what happened the last time these 2 teamed up and played for team canada??
now cloutier i would like to see him there but face it there are alot of better canadian goalies in the nhl right now..belfour (the drunk) burke, luongo, but if gretz was going on how they are playing right now then cloutier has a good shot

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You Know you've had too much lerb when....

I seriously think Cloutier should be considered as the third string keeper for the Olympic team. The guy has had a great year so far. At the very least he is worth a look.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
last d-man to be named?

Lads,

First of all a good poll would be who will be the last d-man named to the Canadian Olympic team? I figure it is between Reddon, Jovo, Brewer, and Morris!

All have attributes that make them good choices and even though Jovo is from here and I am a bit of a homer, I'd take him over the others. Because he is the best skating defenceman of the bunch (maybe of the entire d-men on the team) he could be huge in the attack! Add to the mix the extra ice surface and I think he could be an excellent role player! If Canada needs some goals at a certain point in the game, his wheels can't be stopped! A bit of a liability in his own end though!

Comments,

JP

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jovo-Cop

A bit of a liability in his own end though!

With each game being against the best players in the world a stupid give-a-way will always come back to haunt you. Jovo is a great skater and would help the team, but I dunno. You just can't be fooling around with the puck in the olympics and we all know that is were Jovo has his critics. I like Morris from the flames. He is solid at the back and has a lethal shot. It should be interesting to see not only the d-men but the rest of the team come to shape tomorrow.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
All good points lads

here are my choices:

Keepers- #1)Cujo, #2)Brodeur (2 of the best in the world) and #3)Burke (tons of International experience)
D-men
already named= Neidermier, Blake and Pronger
McInnis and Foote (solid returnees)
Brewer and Jovo (both young, quick, strong and playing very well)

Forwards
already named= Nolan, Sakic, Lemieux, Karya and Yzerman
Centres= Peca and Lindros (shoe ins)
Wings= Shanahan (proving it), Thorton and Iginla (youth with toughness and skill), Tangauy (natural to play with Sakic), Fleury (fought back from hell and is playing well right now) and Neiwendyk (experience down the middle or on the wing)

Canada Brass will probably decide:

K- #1)Cujo, #2)Burke and #3)Belfour (too bad Roy backed out or they could have had the all wife beater three) without Cujo that is...

D- McInnis, Foote, Redden and Stevens (Redden close with Morris, Jovo and Brewer mix and Stevens will be picked because of his sheer prensence even though the Big E won't like it)

Forwards
Peca, Lindros, Fleury, Neiwendyk, Iginla, Shanahan, Premieu and Gagne

Just a hunch... whoever they select for whatever reason lets hope they gel and practice Peno's!!!;)

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good Call Guinness

Your picks are absolutely right on!!!
In my new spirit of getting along, I have to commend you for your ability to pick a good team.

;) :) :) :p

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Look for Eirc Brewer to possibly get the call up if Ryan Symth is left off the team. Kevin Lowe has some input and would probably like to see one of his guys on the squad.

Also, Mario Lemieux won't resume for skating for awhile and could be out of the line-up for another 2 months?:confused: I hope he gives the "c" to Stevey Y.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good team

A few surprises in Brewer, Belfour, and Gagne I think...

Most had pencilled in Redden in for sure but he was left off (I think).

JovoCop should be Canuck of the week TR.

~TB.

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Like the team

I agree where is Recchi? Where is Redden? Primeau was awsome in Nagano!

Having said that, this is a great lineup! A combination of skills and experience. However, I would prefer Anson Carter over Joe Niewendyk. He is a younger player that can play all forward positions (LW, RW, C) with a lot of grit.

I'm glad they picked Inginla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts