Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canadian Premier League

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also- I can totally see myself getting behind the Victoria team. Happy for that community! Quick float plane trip from Whistler.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
“First, I suspect the bid went to Victoria and not Surrey because the group looking to land one in Surrey couldn’t get all their shite together, but they could in Victoria.
Sorry.

I read as the group looking to land one in Surrey couldn't get their shite together, but they (a group in Victoria) could in (erm) Victoria.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry to be daft but I'll be anyway...this is a different league than the one TSS and Victoria Highlanders play in?

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
There you go taking wild leaps again. This is why people don’t like you.

First, I suspect the bid went to Victoria and not Surrey because the group looking to land one in Surrey couldn’t get all their shite together, but they could in Victoria.

Second....when will South Asians get equal playing time? Opportunities? Really? Take a drive through Surrey Central and tour the fields on any given weekend in the soccer season, make sure your eyes are open. When I was a kid, it would be Caucasian dominant. Now it’s South Asian dominant. 30-40 years of change.

I will never make a claim discrimination doesn’t exist for the South Asian Community. Man, you are treading on very thin ice with me there. My kids are visible minorities, half South Asian. My beautiful bride is 100% South Asian. She has faced it in her life for sure, she rises above it. She wins people over and changes their attitudes. I will never forget my Dad’s biggoted reaction many years ago when I told him I was dating a brown, Muslim girl. Let’s just say not positive. Then, he met my wife and she melted his heart. My Dad is a changed man and finally free of his bigoted ways due to exposure to my wife and especially my in-laws. My Father in Law was one of the greatest men I’ve ever met, and he changed my Dad for the better. I’m not proud of the preconceived beliefs my Dad had while I was growing up, but I am very proud he had an open mind, and changed his mindset when it came to being open to visible minorities. He may have been a racist before, he’s definitely not now.

Michael very clearly got most of the “Brown DNA” when he came out of the oven. I am far from blind or deaf, but we’ve also raised our kids to rise abouve it and always carry the pride for their culture and heritage. So no, I’m not South Asian, but my loved ones are. I get it. But you won’t hear my familly using the discrimination card as an excuse for failing anything they aimed to achieve. That is not acceptable.

@Dude,
1) I am not here to be Mrs. Congeniality or Mrs. Popularity. I am here to point out the elephants in the room, the uncomfortable truths that people are refusing to see.

2) I have taken many drives to Surrey Central. There is nothing exceptional. This is the way that the forefathers of the White Man's Province wanted it to be. Minorities segregated and congregated is less desirable areas of the Lower Mainland. This is why people are getting so upset with wealthy Asians buying property on Vancouver's Westside and West Vancouver. Those areas were supposed to reserved for the good people of British Columbia. Asians on the most valued real state upsets the social order and hierarchy that was envisioned for the province.

If people of European descent would be buying those properties, there would not be an uproar in the province. It would be business as usual.

3) If the National Team or the Whitecaps do not have people of Asian or South Asian descent in their roster is the result of social exclusion. It is plain and simple. It is the lingering effects of a century of overt racism combined with modern subtle expressions discrimination. There is nothing biological that would suggest that Asians or South Asians can not perform well at the highest level of competition in soccer. In fact, we do have evidence of the opposite.
Should I remind you that the National Teams of China, South Korea, and Japan play better than the Canadian National Team and are also ranked higher than our National Team?

4) You tend to personalize the posts. It is really not about you or your family. I am glad that your dad changed. However, this just proves the point. You were brave in defying the bigotry of your father and mother. It is also good that they changed. However, this is only one example, literally millions of Canadians that were in your position were not lucky to experience the transformation of your family thanks to your now wife. Their unaltered bigotry led to this:
250px-Canada_soccer_1924.jpg
and this
download-7.jpg
We now know that those teams are not representative of the population that played soccer in the country at the time, they also do not include the players that could potentially be the best in the country. Furthermore, we know understand that those teams and the image that wanted to be portrayed to the world (i.e. Canada as a White Country with the odd token minority).

We all know that the Canadian National Team severely underperforms given the wealth of the country and the health indicators of the population. However, this underperformance is quite understandable and logical once you realize the internal bias and marginalization of huge sectors that exist within the soccer circles.

Yes, it is possible that the people in Surrey did not had their "shite together" as you point out. However, as the article points out, the Victoria group is not completely ready. A logical and rational decision would be to put the the CPL franchise in the Surrey/Langley area. The demographics and the commitment to soccer from those two communities is without parallel in BC. If there is a will, there is way. We all know that this is sensible solution to land the first franchise.

However, the powers that rule and govern our soccer are not ready to give the South Asian community the prominent role that it deserves. I feel bad for the kids on those communities because once again they have been marginalized and their development sabotaged.

On the personal note, I am sorry to bring it to you, but discrimination and bias will limit the opportunities of your children. No matter how hard they work or how hard they try. Race matters in the Canadian and USA workforce, and if you do not believe it, then you better start to read about it.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
There were some South Asian kids on the whitecaps residency team. They tried to force a teammate to give them oral sex in front of the rest of the team.

They were then kicked out of Whitecaps residency, but that's just because Whitecaps are racist and didn't want to see them become professional soccer players.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Please can we keep this relevant to the CPL and not Soccercoachs racial analysis of Canada. Van Island has a stadium and are actively working to prep the stadium to be ready for a 2019 launch. Surrey does not have a stadium, and as a city does not seem interested in accelerating stadium plans for a 2019 launch. It makes less sense to set up a team in Langley or elsewhere than it does to get it going in Surrey when the city is more aligned (I see them coming in 2020/2021 when the league expands to 12 teams). "Shite together" is as simple as that.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Please can we keep this relevant to the CPL and not Soccercoachs racial analysis of Canada. Van Island has a stadium and are actively working to prep the stadium to be ready for a 2019 launch. Surrey does not have a stadium, and as a city does not seem interested in accelerating stadium plans for a 2019 launch. It makes less sense to set up a team in Langley or elsewhere than it does to get it going in Surrey when the city is more aligned (I see them coming in 2020/2021 when the league expands to 12 teams). "Shite together" is as simple as that.
"and as a city does not seem interested in accelerating stadium plans for a 2019 launch."
and the mayor of surrey and the city council happen to be:
download-8.jpg
Can @Dude and @dutch13 confirm the ethnicity of the Surrey Mayor and council?
Interesting how a municipality that has one of the highest concentrations of South Asians does not have representation on the city council. Do you see the connection between race, politics, and soccer in Canada?
If the South Asians kids would matter for the soccer national project there would be plans to rush the stadium and have the franchise in place.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Didn't you just argue that the potential ownership group did not contain any SEA descent, and now you're arguing that the all white city council didn't want to play ball with the all white ownership group? Its tiring how you suck the life out of topics with your own agenda.

4STGMP

Feb 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
"and as a city does not seem interested in accelerating stadium plans for a 2019 launch."
and the mayor of surrey and the city council happen to be:
View attachment 21548
Interesting how a municipality that has one of the highest concentrations of South Asians does not have representation on the city council. Do you see the connection between race, politics, and soccer in Canada?
If the South Asians kids would matter for the soccer national project there would be plans to rush the stadium and have the franchise in place.

Again I ask what you do for a living and how you contribute to society other than your holier than though ideas about how this world should be run.

wednesday

Jun 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting how a municipality that has one of the highest concentrations of South Asians does not have representation on the city council. [/QUOTE]
Who elects these people???

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Didn't you just argue that the potential ownership group did not contain any SEA descent, and now you're arguing that the all white city council didn't want to play ball with the all white ownership group? Its tiring how you suck the life out of topics with your own agenda.

Correction: he just sucks at life.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting how a municipality that has one of the highest concentrations of South Asians does not have representation on the city council.
Who elects these people???[/QUOTE]
Perhaps an indication that we are more in a sort of plutocracy than anything else. In any case, we are annoyed that this deal did not materialize. We were ready to have season tickets and do the drive to Surrey/Langley. Victoria is too inconvenient. Perhaps, in a couple of years.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Dude,
1) I am not here to be Mrs. Congeniality or Mrs. Popularity. I am here to point out the elephants in the room, the uncomfortable truths that people are refusing to see.

2) I have taken many drives to Surrey Central. There is nothing exceptional. This is the way that the forefathers of the White Man's Province wanted it to be. Minorities segregated and congregated is less desirable areas of the Lower Mainland. This is why people are getting so upset with wealthy Asians buying property on Vancouver's Westside and West Vancouver. Those areas were supposed to reserved for the good people of British Columbia. Asians on the most valued real state upsets the social order and hierarchy that was envisioned for the province.

If people of European descent would be buying those properties, there would not be an uproar in the province. It would be business as usual.

3) If the National Team or the Whitecaps do not have people of Asian or South Asian descent in their roster is the result of social exclusion. It is plain and simple. It is the lingering effects of a century of overt racism combined with modern subtle expressions discrimination. There is nothing biological that would suggest that Asians or South Asians can not perform well at the highest level of competition in soccer. In fact, we do have evidence of the opposite.
Should I remind you that the National Teams of China, South Korea, and Japan play better than the Canadian National Team and are also ranked higher than our National Team?

4) You tend to personalize the posts. It is really not about you or your family. I am glad that your dad changed. However, this just proves the point. You were brave in defying the bigotry of your father and mother. It is also good that they changed. However, this is only one example, literally millions of Canadians that were in your position were not lucky to experience the transformation of your family thanks to your now wife. Their unaltered bigotry led to this:
View attachment 21546
and this
View attachment 21547
We now know that those teams are not representative of the population that played soccer in the country at the time, they also do not include the players that could potentially be the best in the country. Furthermore, we know understand that those teams and the image that wanted to be portrayed to the world (i.e. Canada as a White Country with the odd token minority).

We all know that the Canadian National Team severely underperforms given the wealth of the country and the health indicators of the population. However, this underperformance is quite understandable and logical once you realize the internal bias and marginalization of huge sectors that exist within the soccer circles.

Yes, it is possible that the people in Surrey did not had their "shite together" as you point out. However, as the article points out, the Victoria group is not completely ready. A logical and rational decision would be to put the the CPL franchise in the Surrey/Langley area. The demographics and the commitment to soccer from those two communities is without parallel in BC. If there is a will, there is way. We all know that this is sensible solution to land the first franchise.

However, the powers that rule and govern our soccer are not ready to give the South Asian community the prominent role that it deserves. I feel bad for the kids on those communities because once again they have been marginalized and their development sabotaged.

On the personal note, I am sorry to bring it to you, but discrimination and bias will limit the opportunities of your children. No matter how hard they work or how hard they try. Race matters in the Canadian and USA workforce, and if you do not believe it, then you better start to read about it.

I just read this load of drivel- against by better judgment- but I'm glad I did because there are some complete inaccuracies I need to correct.

#1: "You tend to personalize the posts. It is really not about you or your family. I am glad that your dad changed. However, this just proves the point. You were brave in defying the bigotry of your father and mother." I NEVER included my mother in that. She was a saint, and never saw color. My dad...yeah, he changed. I'm glad he did, because it would have meant me separating myself from his life. A lot of his generation was closed minded. That's no secret. I don't always personalize my posts, but when I'm being accused of being a racist by an internet troll, I need to put some perspective back in. I have some, you clearly don't.

#2: "If people of European descent would be buying those properties, there would not be an uproar in the province. It would be business as usual." I call bullshit. Money talks, and the reason for the uproar is purely economics. The climb in real estate pricing due to foreign ownership purchasing practices has made it difficult- if not impossible- for many to get into the market. The offset has also been an increase in the rental market, etc. Foreign buyers could be European, Asian, or Purple Aliens from Jupiter, the offsetting economic strain would be the same. The uproar would be the same.

#3: National team: have you actually looked at the National team rosters over the past 20 years? Seems pretty multicultural to me. Sure, maybe no South Asians of note, but you also need to track the trajectory of the South Asian footballing community here in BC; that community has only risen to some prominence- footballing wise- over the past 20 years. Especially over the past 10 years, huge leaps. Cream rises to the top in this game, it's only a matter of time for that community to break through in larger numbers at the highest level. Currently, look at all the National squads in the lower age brackets. Let me know if you are OK or not OK with the ethnic content. FFS....

#4: Lastly, this: "On the personal note, I am sorry to bring it to you, but discrimination and bias will limit the opportunities of your children. No matter how hard they work or how hard they try. Race matters in the Canadian and USA workforce, and if you do not believe it, then you better start to read about it." No doubt there are going to be barriers. Barriers are there to be broken down.

lego3

Oct 20, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
This might be a dumb question but does anyone know if the teams are owned by the CPL or by an ownership group. Can anyone who has deep pockets get a team or do they have to meet some sort of criteria (geographic/financial)?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you haven't listened, put this on your podcast for your next long drive.

http://aftn.ca/episode-274-the-aftn-soccer-show/

@GoF- great interviews! Loved this, looking forward to more of this. Love hearing the enthusiasm in Willy's voice, but then that's the way he is all the time, whether you bump into him at John Henry's or at the park. He's perfect for the project that is the Rovers...and those two guys (he and Elms) will be remembered as builders of the game in these parts. Thanks guys for sticking your necks out.

The interview w/ Tommy Wheeldon Jr was even better. What continues to resonate w/ anything CPL related is the commitment to developing homegrown, Canadian players. Even if you are new to Canada as an immigrant- like Tommy- it is clear they have a love for the country, the game, and bringing a Canadian brand to the world. I loved the talk of the Foothills and going after a PDL championship, which would be way against the odds (70 or something American PDL squads, and 4? 5? Canadian PDL squads?), but serve notice that we do have some talented kids that both have the skills and the hunger to climb the ranks.

Super stoked for Victoria, I'll definitely buy a membership, likely a couple of seasons, and anyone who wants to go should reach out to me because I'll be lucky to get to two, maybe 3 matches.

So stoked this is actually becoming a reality!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This might be a dumb question but does anyone know if the teams are owned by the CPL or by an ownership group. Can anyone who has deep pockets get a team or do they have to meet some sort of criteria (geographic/financial)?

My understanding is independently owned clubs, but with financial qualifications required. Likely bonds, etc.. Maybe @GoF @Regs or @dezza know more....

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0