Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canadian Premier League

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess... Not sure if they keep the stupid name though. I think Langford is inland on the island?

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuk me, the Port City group is going to Victoria after all.

RIP Fraser Valley CPL soccer

Isn't support critical for the team like this to survive? I'm sure it will start well but once the novelty wears off you have alienated yourself to a population of 300,000 where the mainland sits over 2.5 million. Seems odd , with an inevitable final result.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Smaller market will support teams from lower leagues better than larger markets. Look no further than the CFL or junior hockey. People from Vancouver and Toronto are snobs that only want to support top leagues.

That said people of Surrey may support a local team because they need somewhere to spend their proceeds from crime.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don’t find it interesting in the least, I find it exhausting. I rather spend my energy finding ways to make the lower mainland affordable for the current/future generations. Transport tax? sure throw another one on me. I’ll use all the spare income I have. Gas at 1.60? No problem. Constant increases in car insurance/ electricity.
No problem. Call me Caucasian? How dare you. It’s ridiculous. Why do we spend sso much time so obsessed about Trumps tweets or what Roseanne has to say? I have more important things to deal with.
1) @Dude, yes, you have shown progress. There is no need to insult individuals. You might need to healing. A well balanced human being does not need to insult those who disagree with him/her. Perhaps one day you will not need to do this. Remember the other person is a mirror of yourself.

2) @bulljive . Comments of Roseanne/Trump have significant impact because we are still in the process of recovering from literally some of the worst tragedies in North America (i.e. the slavery inflicted on African Americans, the segregation of Asian communities, the genocide of Aboriginal groups, the criminalization of migrants Hispanics). These are not issues of the past. The repercussions and trauma caused on those communities still lingers. If you have the time and are inclined to consider a different point of view, perhaps you might want to watch the 13th amendment.

With respect to Asians and South Asians, BC enacted a series of laws that were similar or worst than the ones that were applied to African Americans on the South. The "Oriental Problem" or "Oriental Question" was one of the main forces that drove the shaping of the culture of British Columbia. As late as the 1950's there were explicit laws or informal procedures to have them denied of housing, jobs, schooling, or have them treated on the basements of hospitals. You might think that those are things of the past, but its well documented that the effects of segregation linger for generations.

For example, it is not a coincidence that the Canadian National Team does not have Asians or South Asians. It is not a coincidence that the Whitecaps roster has not Asians or South Asians. It is also not a coincidence that the South Asian community seems to have been ignored from the possibility of taking part on the first team of the Canadian Professional League. These events are simply the logical outcomes of having decades of laws and ideologies that aimed the exclusion of those two groups.

As I mentioned, I am hopeful that the new generations are more aware of all these problems and dynamics.

If we would be free of bias, we know that the first team from the CPL should have gone to Surrey/Langley, and that the South Asian community should be part of it. This was never going to happen. It had to go to Victoria. After all, still in BC some citizens are more Canadian than others. The photo opportunity of having Victoria as supposed to Surrey was something that the first founders of BC would have been proud and approved of. As the used to say: "British Columbia is a White's Man Province and always will be".

The question is: can we change this? Can we make our soccer community something that our forefathers DID NOT wanted it to be?

==============================
As for @Soccer Coach , I need another long hiatus. I will miss you guys.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Issey Nakajima Farran wants to know why you are rewriting history and claiming he never played for the Canadian National team.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Issey Nakajima Farran wants to know why you are rewriting history and claiming he never played for the Canadian National team.
This example is close, but his father is of English descent. I guess the token minority. Any other player that we have missed?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
That’s an awesome article.

I’m not one for wild conspiracy theories based on racism. The National team has a long history of promoting players from a broad ethnic base.

I think as we see the CPL grow, you will see more South Asians break through. Now with a domestic league to aspire to.....

@Dude..yes...and Santa Claus lives in the North Pole and brings toys to children...
.. if it helps you to sleep at night believing that race has not taken part in the history of social organization of sports in British Columbia... then be my guest and keep indulging yourself in soothing fantasy...

I have no doubt that "eventually" South Asians and Asians will play in the National Team, they are simply not be first or a priority according to the social order set by the forefathers of this Beautiful Province.

If you really think that Asians and South Asian are receiving an equal playing field in sports here in BC, then you might want give a closer look at the studies that Sociologists are conducting at SFU and UBC:

"Changing on the Fly, conducted and written by North Delta Secondary graduate and recent SFU PhD recipient Courtney Szto, looks at the experiences and relationship the South Asian community has with ice hockey.

Szto got the idea for the study when the NHL came out with their Hockey is for Everyone campaign. It evoked a memory of her time working at Sport Chek, when a young boy of South Asian descent came in to get hockey equipment and his turban didn’t allow it to fit safely.

In the course of her study, Szto talked to South Asian players, parents and coaches to see what she could learn about the discrimination that community faces in the sport. (In the study, South Asians are defined as people with ancestry from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, West Indies, Fiji and East Africa.)

What she found was South Asians within the sport consistently faced discrimination in the form of racism."

Out of curiosity @Dude, when Asians and South Asians stopped facing discrimination on British Columbia?
It is not a coincidence that first team from BC to the CPL is going to Victoria and not to Surrey. It is the way is supposed to be according to our provincial social order.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ps. We need to improve things to the better. Denying that bias exists in the provincial soccer circles it does not help us moving forward.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Dude..yes...and Santa Claus lives in the North Pole and brings toys to children...
.. if it helps you to sleep at night believing that race has not taken part in the history of social organization of sports in British Columbia... then be my guest and keep indulging yourself in soothing fantasy...

I have no doubt that "eventually" South Asians and Asians will play in the National Team, they are simply not be first or a priority according to the social order set by the forefathers of this Beautiful Province.

If you really think that Asians and South Asian are receiving an equal playing field in sports here in BC, then you might want give a closer look at the studies that Sociologists are conducting at SFU and UBC:

"Changing on the Fly, conducted and written by North Delta Secondary graduate and recent SFU PhD recipient Courtney Szto, looks at the experiences and relationship the South Asian community has with ice hockey.

Szto got the idea for the study when the NHL came out with their Hockey is for Everyone campaign. It evoked a memory of her time working at Sport Chek, when a young boy of South Asian descent came in to get hockey equipment and his turban didn’t allow it to fit safely.

In the course of her study, Szto talked to South Asian players, parents and coaches to see what she could learn about the discrimination that community faces in the sport. (In the study, South Asians are defined as people with ancestry from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, West Indies, Fiji and East Africa.)

What she found was South Asians within the sport consistently faced discrimination in the form of racism."

Out of curiosity @Dude, when Asians and South Asians stopped facing discrimination on British Columbia?
It is not a coincidence that first team from BC to the CPL is going to Victoria and not to Surrey. It is the way is supposed to be according to our provincial social order.

There you go taking wild leaps again. This is why people don’t like you.

First, I suspect the bid went to Victoria and not Surrey because the group looking to land one in Surrey couldn’t get all their shite together, but they could in Victoria.

Second....when will South Asians get equal playing time? Opportunities? Really? Take a drive through Surrey Central and tour the fields on any given weekend in the soccer season, make sure your eyes are open. When I was a kid, it would be Caucasian dominant. Now it’s South Asian dominant. 30-40 years of change.

I will never make a claim discrimination doesn’t exist for the South Asian Community. Man, you are treading on very thin ice with me there. My kids are visible minorities, half South Asian. My beautiful bride is 100% South Asian. She has faced it in her life for sure, she rises above it. She wins people over and changes their attitudes. I will never forget my Dad’s biggoted reaction many years ago when I told him I was dating a brown, Muslim girl. Let’s just say not positive. Then, he met my wife and she melted his heart. My Dad is a changed man and finally free of his bigoted ways due to exposure to my wife and especially my in-laws. My Father in Law was one of the greatest men I’ve ever met, and he changed my Dad for the better. I’m not proud of the preconceived beliefs my Dad had while I was growing up, but I am very proud he had an open mind, and changed his mindset when it came to being open to visible minorities. He may have been a racist before, he’s definitely not now.

Michael very clearly got most of the “Brown DNA” when he came out of the oven. I am far from blind or deaf, but we’ve also raised our kids to rise abouve it and always carry the pride for their culture and heritage. So no, I’m not South Asian, but my loved ones are. I get it. But you won’t hear my familly using the discrimination card as an excuse for failing anything they aimed to achieve. That is not acceptable.

Last edited:

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’ve seen the 13th amendment actually and it was quite eye opening. Thank you Dude, fcuk sakes. I don’t doubt their is still discrimination etc. I do have reservations that players are not being picked for the national team because they are south Asian. A really hard time believing it. I luckily grew up in a very forward thinking family. My grandfather walked into an adult education class one day for English as a second language, 30 + years ago and it was all Asian students. The teacher didn’t show and he decided to teach that class. Next thing you know he was teaching English every evening for free at his house to new Canadians. I still have the news paper article. That’s how my mother was raised and that’s how we were raised because of it. Experiences and time help create change, taking offence to every little comment and throwing it in people’s face turns them off. Everyone faces adversity in one way or another is my point. If you can’t handle a innocently misuse of terminology or ignorance here or there then we aren’t progressing.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah understood but they couldn’t get their shite together in Surrey or Langley. No? Obviously if they could have, they would have gone with the Surrey plan.

The fact they changed focus to Victoria is a moot point on the first.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
“First, I suspect the bid went to Victoria and not Surrey because the group looking to land one in Surrey couldn’t get all their shite together, but they could in Victoria.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts