Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canadian Premier League

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Regs:

Any word from your (codeword) buddy involved in the FV / "Port City" bid? Seems super quiet right now, and not sure that quiet is good at this stage.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@GoF : listened to your podcast on my normal Tuesday morning commute in from Whistler to the big city.

Liked the CPL stuff, hopefully more of that as the league becomes something. Nice plug of TTP, too, though the other two seemed to feel a bit nervy about getting involved. Tell your cohorts to take off their fcuking girls blouses, FFS.

You (well, Chris) brought up a couple of interesting points:
  • Wanderers: had no idea about the team name history, found it very cool and refreshing that it was supporter initiated. Some great history for the club to start with. Personally, I really look forward to seeing how Halifax reacts to the new team, and seeing this club grow. I am not one for road trips solely to watch footy matches (I'm a bit claustrophobic as it is, so can only take even WFC games in small doses), but can see myself making an excuse to get out there. Lobsters; Dude likes snappers.
  • The mystery "Port City" franchise: I agree wholeheartedly that it seems with every day that passes, the likelihood of them pulling something off seems less and less. I also wonder if they've gone about it all wrong. So secretive, and yes, seeming to play the municipalities against one another. I've always thought it would have to be Central City- or at least down on Scott Road close to the train station- or bust. Tom Binnie would be perfect for all intents. I see Langley as a non-starter, frankly. I wonder if the East Indian Community has even been approached, as I feel there is some built in support just waiting for something to get behind like this...not to mention money. I don't feel it's too much for the City to ask that the club has a financial stake in the facility; come up with money to prepare the ground for a pop-up stadium. I realize in today's world of civil and structural engineering, that prep alone is no small feat, but the communities are looking for shared risk. I get that. As a taxpayer, frankly, so would I be.
  • Victoria indeed seems to have an inside edge, and assuming the Highlanders are the principle involved, a built in supporter community there, too.
That's all, but good stuff. Hope to hear more on your future shows CPL related, less on fcuking Caps, unless that actively involves calling for Robo's & Bobo's heads. Suggestion also to bring in a few Caps old timers for some story time, Stephen Burns and Nial Thompsen, perhaps. LOL.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You know you are old when political incorrectness comes so bloody easy.

I was at a sales meeting down south, chatting with one of the young lady engineers I deal with a lot. A few bevies had been consumed. She's about 30, I think her family originates from Korea, though she's second generation American. I made the mistake of pointing out she's of oriental ancestry. Well, that did not go over well.

"You can't say that."

"What, Oriental? But you are Oriental, just like I'm Caucasian, what's wrong with oriental?"

"Ummm...we say Asian. Oriental is like saying the 'N' word."

"No way...(pulls over Jim, tall white due in his 30s) hey Jim, can I say Oriental?"

"No, you can't say that."

"Oops."

@Gurps , can I say East Indian?

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
As for the CPL I do agree with Dude and somewhat surprised that a 'East Indian' group has not stepped forward.

One group that comes to mind is the BC Tigers. Huge club now with a big financial backing and expanding very quick. In a short few years they have become a huge club club and I know they have much higher aspirations for the club. They have a youth system set up and this would compliment that perfectly. For them it is really the missing piece on what they want to accomplish.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As for the CPL I do agree with Dude and somewhat surprised that a 'East Indian' group has not stepped forward.

One group that comes to mind is the BC Tigers. Huge club now with a big financial backing and expanding very quick. In a short few years they have become a huge club club and I know they have much higher aspirations for the club. They have a youth system set up and this would compliment that perfectly. For them it is really the missing piece on what they want to accomplish.

So big they are a club club, not just a club.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money

I was at a sales meeting down south, chatting with one of the young lady engineers I deal with a lot. A few bevies had been consumed. She's about 30, I think her family originates from Korea, though she's second generation American. I made the mistake of pointing out she's of oriental ancestry. Well, that did not go over well.

"You can't say that."

"What, Oriental? But you are Oriental, just like I'm Caucasian, what's wrong with oriental?"

"No way...(pulls over Jim, tall white due in his 30s) hey Jim, can I say Oriental?"

"Oops."

It is better that you do not use those terms @Dude. Yes we can joke and try to make the situation light, but it is better to stay away from those terms. You were lucky that she seems easy going, and put up with it. I can tell you that others could have made it hell for you (with reason). Younger generations have reached a higher level of consciousness and awareness than us on these matters.
To keep it safe, use the term South Asian or better not to mention the ethnicity at all.
Remember that the posts in the TTP about topics of post-colonial issues related to the South Asian community galvanized into death threats and the police monitoring this site.

GoF

Apr 29, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
Chris tried to sign up to the site but he said it wasn't taking new registrations.

The Can PL stuff has gone down well in recent podcasts. Plan is to have at least one part a week on it and/or TSS moving forward. Will gradually reduce Caps stuff as people seem bored by it these days. Maybe that's just me haha

I agree about how "Port City" have gone about things. I get wanting to be secret to an extent till you have all your ducks in a row, but I speak to potential players here about it and they have no idea about what's happening or what playing in the CPL would mean for them in terms of $ etc. That's pretty bad less than a year out from the league's launch. I was having a chat with someone who has been involved in some of the talks and he said some of those involved have wanted to take things public and drum up support to put on the city, but the money men don't want to go down that route. To me they should be out there screaming what they want to do. Who knows what might come out of that from other interested parties or cities.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is better that you do not use those terms @Dude. Yes we can joke and try to make the situation light, but it is better to stay away from those terms. You were lucky that she seems easy going, and put up with it. I can tell you that others could have made it hell for you (with reason). Younger generations have reached a higher level of consciousness and awareness than us on these matters.
To keep it safe, use the term South Asian or better not to mention the ethnicity at all.
Remember that the posts in the TTP about topics of post-colonial issues related to the South Asian community galvanized into death threats and the police monitoring this site.

You aren’t a dink, you just remind me of a person that’s a total dink.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

"You can't say that."

"Oops."

I was at Kits beach many moons ago and a guy that we were hanging around with actually asked a couple of girls if they were Asian or Chinese. That was a little embarrassing

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, I'm very confused on "Oriental".
"President Obama recently signed a bill prohibiting use of the term in all federal documents." This was written in 2016, about the same time I so gracefully ate my foot. Explains a lot.

This explains why my Asian Canadian friends (not to be confused with my South Asian Canadian friends, like Gurps, otherwise known as "Brown Guys", or, "Dude's Extended Family") don't seem to give a flying fcuk about being referred to as Oriental. Apparently the Americans found a problem with it without first discussing it with the rest of the world's orie...erm, asians.

Mrs. Dude, for the record, takes exception to "South Asian", but allows "Micronesian", "Brown Lady", "Hawaiian Barbi" (she's not even Hawaiian), or "Fijian Princess" (thanks, Regs). She'll accept Fijian Canadian, but prefers Canadian above all else.

Also, I don't need a derogatory term to insult people, I am perfectly capable of calling them a cnut without having to resort to deliberate derogatory terms. For example: "@knvb is a cnut" has been popular for years.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0