Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canadian Premier League

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Dude my point is I think "suck up the travel" is the exact attitude that will get this league killed. What sort of gate are you going to get for Surrey v Winnipeg? Maybe a few thousand right? How are 6-8 home games going to cover cross Canada flights etc. every other week? Presumably there will be a forced TV Broadcasting deal where TSN or someone is contracted to broadcast every game if they go with major markets, so perhaps some additional income there and some merchandising and internal sponsorship, but after that where is the money coming from to pay salaries and coaches/staff? I understand that ownership groups are being sold a long term vision where they eat six-figure and up losses for the foreseeable future all in the name of making the game better, but surely the league has to be somewhat sustainable. Agreed PG and the Kamloops/Kelowna are too small, but if you did some sort of joint team where the team plays half their home games in Kamloops and the other half in Kelowna?? Just trying to create a passionate fan base a la the Saskatchewan Roughriders. It would be a professional team and it would be all they would have. How many people in the interior do you think will give a f*ck about the Surrey (insert derogatory name here)s?? But if they had an away day at Surrey and then at Victoria think about the travelling contingent they could bring with them? Who is going to travel from Ottawa to see the Fury play in Edmonton, but what about Kitchner-Waterloo? I am worried that you are adding another team clamoring for sports and entertainment dollars in already crowded market places. Why not start smaller, closer to PDL size, albeit fully professional, and trying and create local, organic interest and see where the league can grow to? Don't get me wrong, I will wish any iteration of a CPL the best and fully support it. I am just worried that this is once again taking a North American view of how sports leagues should work and ignoring how soccer leagues function in the rest of the world...

As for the VMSL/FVSL/VISL super league, or acting as some sort of Tier III league, I think most people are in agreement that this is long overdue and, with the professional and semi-professional landscape set for a major overhaul, it is clearly time for the amateur set up to adapt as well. I know the VMSL leadership approached BC Soccer after their ill-conceived "Regional Tier III League" fell through and said that they would be willing to work on finding a way for a league like this to be sustainable. The problem is that the VMSL would want the keys to the kingdom so to speak and essentially require carte blanche to do as they please with the league which I don't think BC Soccer is super keen on. As for amalgamating the leagues, or whatever that eventually looks like, it will likely take additional changes in leadership on all the boards. Reuben Tremarco (VMSL), and Thomas Mills (FVSL), f*cking hate each other from what I understand. Mostly because Reuben is essentially a prick about the fact that the VMSL is the best league and should be put on a pedestal, while Mills acts like a toddler, demanding the FVSL be treated as an equal. Look everybody can see the stats, the VMSL has proven that right now it has the best competition (proven again this year as a team that finished last in the VMSL is now winning the tile in the FVSL), but you don't have to be a dick about it. Ditto for the Valley guys, quit whining and accept that when this all shakes down you will likely come out closer to the bottom of the pile than the top. In the end we all want to make the game better; we've got more in common than not.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Dude my point is I think "suck up the travel" is the exact attitude that will get this league killed. What sort of gate are you going to get for Surrey v Winnipeg? Maybe a few thousand right? How are 6-8 home games going to cover cross Canada flights etc. every other week? Presumably there will be a forced TV Broadcasting deal where TSN or someone is contracted to broadcast every game if they go with major markets, so perhaps some additional income there and some merchandising and internal sponsorship, but after that where is the money coming from to pay salaries and coaches/staff? I understand that ownership groups are being sold a long term vision where they eat six-figure and up losses for the foreseeable future all in the name of making the game better, but surely the league has to be somewhat sustainable. Agreed PG and the Kamloops/Kelowna are too small, but if you did some sort of joint team where the team plays half their home games in Kamloops and the other half in Kelowna?? Just trying to create a passionate fan base a la the Saskatchewan Roughriders. It would be a professional team and it would be all they would have. How many people in the interior do you think will give a f*ck about the Surrey (insert derogatory name here)s?? But if they had an away day at Surrey and then at Victoria think about the travelling contingent they could bring with them? Who is going to travel from Ottawa to see the Fury play in Edmonton, but what about Kitchner-Waterloo? I am worried that you are adding another team clamoring for sports and entertainment dollars in already crowded market places. Why not start smaller, closer to PDL size, albeit fully professional, and trying and create local, organic interest and see where the league can grow to? Don't get me wrong, I will wish any iteration of a CPL the best and fully support it. I am just worried that this is once again taking a North American view of how sports leagues should work and ignoring how soccer leagues function in the rest of the world...

As for the VMSL/FVSL/VISL super league, or acting as some sort of Tier III league, I think most people are in agreement that this is long overdue and, with the professional and semi-professional landscape set for a major overhaul, it is clearly time for the amateur set up to adapt as well. I know the VMSL leadership approached BC Soccer after their ill-conceived "Regional Tier III League" fell through and said that they would be willing to work on finding a way for a league like this to be sustainable. The problem is that the VMSL would want the keys to the kingdom so to speak and essentially require carte blanche to do as they please with the league which I don't think BC Soccer is super keen on. As for amalgamating the leagues, or whatever that eventually looks like, it will likely take additional changes in leadership on all the boards. Reuben Tremarco (VMSL), and Thomas Mills (FVSL), f*cking hate each other from what I understand. Mostly because Reuben is essentially a prick about the fact that the VMSL is the best league and should be put on a pedestal, while Mills acts like a toddler, demanding the FVSL be treated as an equal. Look everybody can see the stats, the VMSL has proven that right now it has the best competition (proven again this year as a team that finished last in the VMSL is now winning the tile in the FVSL), but you don't have to be a dick about it. Ditto for the Valley guys, quit whining and accept that when this all shakes down you will likely come out closer to the bottom of the pile than the top. In the end we all want to make the game better; we've got more in common than not.

Wow, I thought I wrote long ones.

Part A: as I said, this league needs deep, deep pockets. It also needs regional representation, and feeder systems. Why put a team in Red Deer when they can neither support it as fans, of feed the system? The CPL has to be in major centers, and the Tier III in hotbeds where soccer is king. Also, so far as CPL is concerned, I live in a world where I believe they will be ripe for failure unless the deep pockets can sustain it for long enough to be CFL like in numbers and viewership. So, I sit and hope for deep pockets.

Part Deux: not surprised, some interesting info there, and yeah, I can certainly see one side acting the superior, and the other the petulant child (all toys outta the crib? Wonder if the man in question is going to throw a toy ring set at me at this year's provincial match between a FVSL squad and VMSL squad?). I agree 100% with you. I'd see it as fair regional representation by clubs who can actually support it. Honestly, that part is about equal. Metro Ford, Westside, West Van, Norvan, Langley (Valley version), Coastal, Surrey United, maybe Abbotsford. Possibly some more, I'm out of touch, but you get the point. Then you have some Island squads, but I know little about those clubs, I'm sure some have stronger roots and infrastructure than many a VMSL club. That all said, well, yeah...the VMSL holds the competitive edge. For sure. but after a Tier III would be established, then all old ties / roots disappear, and new roots are formed. Again, I live in a bit of a utopia so far as this concept is concerned, but I have zero faith the men you mentioned could ever see the forest through the trees and be a conduit to something bigger and better, and leave that as a legacy. They'd rather their leagues as they now are be their legacy, which is truly a shame.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The current largest outdoor stadium in the region is the 5,000-seat Centennial Stadium on the University of Victoria campus.
A bit closer, but still nowhere near downtown.
The Victoria Highlanders soccer club of the amateur Premier Development League, who play at Centennial Stadium, said they could make use of the expanded Westhills Stadium in what they hope will be a showcase game each summer against big-name European clubs. The Highlanders attracted 5,735 fans for their friendly in 2014 at Centennial Stadium against Glasgow Rangers.

“We are receiving interest from name European clubs all the time and we hope to have one or two exhibitions, such as the Glasgow Rangers game, each year but you need 6,000 to 8,000 fans out to make any financial sense of it,” said Brett Large, managing director of the Highlanders’ new ownership group. “The 8,000 seats at Westhills is a number that would make that work.”
Wishful thinking, or stringing them along?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Getting excited about this....

http://canpl.ca/article/debut

Basically this time next year, meaning recruitment will start as early at the fall when MLS ends. Maybe earlier.

What and who do people expect to see playing locally? And, I wonder how many squads end up in BC, safe to say 2? Surrey & Victoria in?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
2 squads in BC? I'd be surprised if the league launches with more than 6 clubs in total...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Let's hope for 8-6, but my head is in the clouds on this one. Reality check has me surprised they even have a logo. Glad there seems to be progress.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
2 squads in BC? I'd be surprised if the league launches with more than 6 clubs in total...

Agreed. There's been no buzz around Surrey or anywhere in the Lower Mainland about CPL. No stadium in Surrey either, and if they build one it won't be ready in time for "Spring 2019". There's been a bit of chatter on the Island but not much. I think they are building/upgrading Westhills stadium in Langford, not sure the timeline on that or if it will have the necessary specs to host a team. Maybe they could play out of UVic? I'd likely bet on no BC teams among the league's founding members.

Winnipeg and Hamilton are already confirmed. There was serious interest from Calgary and Halifax as well; plus you would have to think Ottawa would hop from the NASL to the new CPL. Beyond that, maybe Edmonton resurfaces? Or a team in the GTA?

Last edited:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess we'll see.

The jocksniffer guys have some better inside scoops. Talk of a temp stadium for Surrey, rumor of "Port City FC", which would suggest a stadium down by Scott Road / Surrey Fraser Docks area (close to skytrain), and yeah, a bit more chatter about a GTA squad or two, one in York apparently called "York9". Basically, more chatter, but I am only following that chatter. I think a lot of it originates from the Voyagers, and I don't venture there.

I'd be surprised if Surrey wasn't in, and surprised if a second BC team- like Victoria- wasn't.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pretty sure Edmonton is going for it... The official club twitter account is posting stuff with the hashtag #YEG4CPL and they are lobbying the city of Edmonton to invest in upgrades for Clarke Stadium.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Edmonton FC/Calgary Foothills are pushing for it, I thought I read Calgary has been courting players in expectation already - Halifax city council just approved the building of a temporary seasonal stadium for test events this summer (Rugby/Soccer) and a 3 year deal with a group actively pushing for a CPL team in 2019. How long did it take to put up the stadium at Hastings Park - still think that was an awesome experience for the first year of the caps - better than BC Place. and you can have that surface that all the old timers keep talking about... "grass"?

There was plenty of talk out of a group in Saskatchewan a couple months as well.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Edmonton FC/Calgary Foothills are pushing for it, I thought I read Calgary has been courting players in expectation already - Halifax city council just approved the building of a temporary seasonal stadium for test events this summer (Rugby/Soccer) and a 3 year deal with a group actively pushing for a CPL team in 2019. How long did it take to put up the stadium at Hastings Park - still think that was an awesome experience for the first year of the caps - better than BC Place. and you can have that surface that all the old timers keep talking about... "grass"?

There was plenty of talk out of a group in Saskatchewan a couple months as well.
The group that I know of that was looking at locations here in the valley had plans to use the same company that did the Empire temp stadium.

I'll try and reach out this weekend and see if I can get a status update...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's my update:
  1. there were 2 sites in Surrey (Cloverdale Fairgrounds and Tom Binnie) under consideration but City of Surrey were not willing to pay for land prep so no go.
  2. negotiations underway with Langley about possibility of putting park/stadium @ new 216th street redevelopment area... not sure where that is at.
  3. group was looking at MAP or Exhibition Stadium as a temp home for next season

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's my update:
  1. there were 2 sites in Surrey (Cloverdale Fairgrounds and Tom Binnie) under consideration but City of Surrey were not willing to pay for land prep so no go.
  2. negotiations underway with Langley about possibility of putting park/stadium @ new 216th street redevelopment area... not sure where that is at.
  3. group was looking at MAP or Exhibition Stadium as a temp home for next season
Wonder if they would consider Percy Perry - although I'm guessing they're seeing being across the bridge as an advantage distancing themselves from the caps

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0