Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canadian Premier League

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't know where else to put this, but we've discussed it all over the place on the forum.

Listening to this podcast now, http://aftn.ca/episode-200-the-aftn-soccer-show/

Some good insight.

I've become very disenchanted w/ the Caps (even though I still love them, but it's the organization, not the players, that leaves me wanting more).

Looking for something more decidedly Canadian to put my energy and money behind.

Discuss....

@GoF

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Initial thoughts on this…

Bantering about the potential cities, from big to small, the guys threw around the concepts of merging with existing clubs. I.e.: A Calgary Club absorbing Foothills, so as to take advantage of their infrastructure.

@GoF, you dropped a nugget of a Fraser Valley squad, and of course, that means need for a stadium. Langley seems pretty obvious, MAP would need to double in size, but they have the space. Not super stoked about the turf, football lines, or the track, but beggars can’t be choosers. Accessibility will be key, and I don’t know how accessible MAP is. 10,000 people trying to funnel into MAP, dunno. There is no real public transit access that’s easy, not on the near horizon, anyhow. Don’t see it.

What I do see is the City of Surrey partnering in with a bid, and building a stadium somewhere, maybe actually down by Scott Road, maybe Tom Binnie Park, which to me seems nearly perfect for a local 10,000 facility. They have the space, community facilities right there, and it ties into their whole transitioning process of Whalley. With the baseball facility right there, and the Lions, who knows, maybe a Lions joint bid. To me, that a very exciting prospect. That I really see being supported due to accessibility, way more so than a team in Langley. Langley hasn’t blown the doors off supporting anything…not lacrosse, not the Giants, not the Rivermen, not WFC2. Why? Accessibility. When we have gone to games at LEC, we always walk, because we can’t handle the traffic. It gets brutal, and that’s with the arena ½ or less full. Talking 1500-2000 people. No way MAP would draw in reasonable numbers. How are people getting in? With Skytrain access close to Tom Binnie, that provides all sorts of possibilities to move people in and out.

Victoria: I see as a shoe-in. Don't see the Okanagan or Interior being able to support, they could barely support PCSL when it was there. I don't see it, maybe I'm wrong, @TheRob

I love how Paul Beirne got his back up about there not being a big enough player pool, and how highly he values the CIS. It’s exactly what those of us who “get it” have been trying to explain to those that don’t.

A big topic of conversation turned to the number of players we have out there that have gone abroad chasing opportunities, and guys who’ve fallen out of the professional game.

Ideally, you say, 10 years from now, “Caleb Clarke would have never been able to make this team”.

We need a pathway…

Last edited:

GoF

Apr 29, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
We've heard from three really well placed people that there's definitely at least one interested group in bringing a team to the Valley. Possibly two groups, the second of which I would guess might have something to do with the Lions. The first one definitely doesn't. They don't want to go public yet though.

Both would involve building a new pop up stadium of at least 6,000.

I agree that it should be near transit, which does cause a problem for Langley imo. That said, I can actually drive from my house in East Van to WFC2 games at MAP quicker sometimes than it takes me to go cross city to UBC.

I was a bit skeptical about the league initially in terms of them looking to be Div 1 and how they would get the quality from the start. From chats over the past year though I'm very excited about the prospect of it all. And quality is relative really.

I've enjoyed some VMSL games far more than MLS and USL this year. Some have been dreadful in all leagues. It's what you make of it. My dream would be a pyramid system with promotion and relegation, but having a franchise fee fcuks that up a bit.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find myself the same way. As a player, I'll admit to not being as much as a spectator. I always just wanted to play. But I loved the 86ers as a kid, a big part was they had local heroes; guys like Dom, Catlif, and Carl Valentine. No, not big names, but they were ours.

The MLS aren't "ours".

Watching Langley and Aldy through their Provincial Cup runs was nostalgic this year and re-sparked my love for the local game. Part nostalgia, being a Langley Alum (we never got past the second round in my time), and part friendship watching @utah and mini Hildy go through their run.

You get to know the players, and find yourself saying, "I hope this level isn't the end of the line for that player". It was for me- I had to battle just to make the squad- but some of these guys I've played with, against, and watched over the years deserve better.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We've heard from three really well placed people that there's definitely at least one interested group in bringing a team to the Valley. Possibly two groups, the second of which I would guess might have something to do with the Lions. The first one definitely doesn't. They don't want to go public yet though.

Both would involve building a new pop up stadium of at least 6,000.

I agree that it should be near transit, which does cause a problem for Langley imo. That said, I can actually drive from my house in East Van to WFC2 games at MAP quicker sometimes than it takes me to go cross city to UBC.

I was a bit skeptical about the league initially in terms of them looking to be Div 1 and how they would get the quality from the start. From chats over the past year though I'm very excited about the prospect of it all. And quality is relative really.

I've enjoyed some VMSL games far more than MLS and USL this year. Some have been dreadful in all leagues. It's what you make of it. My dream would be a pyramid system with promotion and relegation, but having a franchise fee fcuks that up a bit.

It's frustrating knowing you know who these bidders are, and where they'd propose landing the team!

Anyhow, I can only guess that the non-Lions related bid is indeed proposed for Langley. You are a die-hard, and will show up, no matter what. I don't know that there are 6,000-10,000 of you. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe there is an exceptionally strong appetite for CPL, but my feeling is that ALL factors need to be evaluated here, especially prospect of long term sustainability. The best scenario is that there are two strong bidders in the Lower Mainland, and all factors are taken into account. I don't think they can underscore how important easy accessibility is.

Regarding the issue of franchise fees, etc., is there a better way they can set this up while still keeping alive the prospect of a pro/rel system? Perhaps instead of a straight up franchise fee, each team is required to issue a 5 year bond in the amount of $x? This way you allow the teams to build value, and potentially down the line, 1st div. clubs pay the same or slightly increased bond, while second div. teams have a drastically reduced level? I dunno how you make this happen overnight where as over the rest of the world, it's been built over a century or more.

I think a pyramid system has to be on the long-term radar. By long term, I actually mean short term- they need at least 2 divisions inside 3-5 years. They competitiveness is what will bring up the overall quality of the country. No reason this can't happen. Why can't there be regional Div. 2 teams scattered across the the Province? This is where you'd need the FVSL, VMSL, and VISL to get together as they tried to years ago, and simply merge to allow 10 teams across the three regions to be represented as those Div. 2 teams. Hell, throw the TSS Rovers into that mix. I don't know what has to happen to make that possible. The last time, the FVSL and VISL were willing, but there were dissenting parties inside the VMSL that kiboshed the whole deal. Not- I'll point out- for petty reasons. There were some legitimate concerns there. I wonder is now the landscape has shifted enough, and the players involved have shifted their opinions enough that it could actually happen, or if the gulf between the VISL / FVSL and VMSL has widened, in terms of working together.

IMO- which is worth about as much as a third tit on a nun- when the CPL comes through, and they start looking towards forming the regional pyramid system, the powers that be owe it to the next generation of players to "fix" the divide, and join forces for the future betterment of the game in BC and Canada. All these guys that had wasted careers playing in the three leagues are now the guys running the leagues (or, in the VMSL sake, in position to inherit leadership), and should be motivated to make all that work and infrastructure count for something, instead of just being a wasteland for washed up former pros, or guys that "coulda / shoulda" but somehow didn't. A Pyramid system, IMO, is inevitable, so may as well accept that reality, and start building bridges to be part of something bigger.

Because, mark my words, if they don't, these leagues will truly just become irrelevant "Rec leagues" (as the uneducated soccer snobs like to refer to the three), and the quality that they are so proud of will plummet across the board as the better players move onto what will be the 2nd and maybe 3rd divisions of the Canadian pyramid.

There you go, soapbox preaching for the day.

Last edited:

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude, I remember my grandparents taking me to the Caps games at Swangard and loving it. But honestly I force myself to follow the Caps now, the soccer is poor and I don't feel that invested but watch anyway. I watch local soccer all the time and I'd be the first guy to get behind a local CSL team out of Surrey/langley area. It's cool seeing local guys coming up.

A pyramid system is great and it would be awesome for teams to be able to work their way into the league. However doesn't seem to be the North American System and really this is not the top of the pyramid. These players would leave for the MLS in a heart beat as it's the next step on the latter in North America.

Local league will be a stay sharp league if players aren't picked up. You would think local CSL teams would be watching regularly to find players.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude, I remember my grandparents taking me to the Caps games at Swangard and loving it. But honestly I force myself to follow the Caps now, the soccer is poor and I don't feel that invested but watch anyway. I watch local soccer all the time and I'd be the first guy to get behind a local CSL team out of Surrey/langley area. It's cool seeing local guys coming up.

A pyramid system is great and it would be awesome for teams to be able to work their way into the league. However doesn't seem to be the North American System and really this is not the top of the pyramid. These players would leave for the MLS in a heart beat as it's the next step on the latter in North America.

Local league will be a stay sharp league if players aren't picked up. You would think local CSL teams would be watching regularly to find players.

Well, that's the point, isn't it?

If the MLS is the next step, then you want to sell players up, don't you? There are two scenarios:

1. CPL player's contract runs out, and he's "free". A contract will only expire if the CPL squad wants to rid themselves of it anyhow. The likely scenario there is player drops a level.
2. The player is sold on.

It doesn't matter if it is a North American system or not. It's the path forward to progressing the game in all ways. All of us have played in a pyramid system, and I think all of us love it, we love the increased competition of both chasing a division title, and avoiding relegation.

You WANT players aspiring to play MLS or higher, that's what we all want. Hey, maybe one day the CPL becomes as competitive as MLS, and that'd be great. What I see it as is something like the top league in countries like Uruguay, or Costa Rica, where you get a very good domestic level, and yes, the best players get loaned on or sold on to MLS or better.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BTW- take Tiebert as an example only...what good is it for him, right now, in MLS? Or Bustos? Or Mcendry (SP?)? Great they are signed to the first team, but they aren't getting minutes and aren't progressing. I'd rather see them in a league that sits somewhere between MLS and USL, and actually playing competitive minutes. If they choose to ride the pine in MLS, so be it, but not all will choose the bench, and it'll be guys that choose the scenario that gets them competitive minutes that will leap frog the MLS bench player on the MNT radar.

Ultimately this is all about growing the MNT in quality.....

Reactions: GoF

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

...funny, wrote my post above, then came across this article somewhere on TTP (couldn't find it, so posted straight from the source)...

http://aftn.ca/loan-deals-beckon-for-a-number-of-whitecaps-they-need-competitive-games/

This speaks exactly to the issue...there are so many 1st team MLSers that can't get 1st team minutes, and who's careers are falling by the wayside as a result.

I really don't about the non-Canadians this is happening to. Sorry, simply don't give a shite. There are a plethora of American Pro teams Cole Seiler can go to, and others like Flores can end up somewhere in Latin or South America pursuing their career. I care about the Canadians stuck in limbo. Whatever you think of Tiebert, there is a certain amount of blame for his regression that can be placed at the Caps feet.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That may outdraw pro soccer in Surrey.

I can't be fcuked to look up the RFP, but I wonder how many seats it specifies? Gotta be 20,000 or so by the sounds of it?

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
says either 8-10k or 15-20k Bid. Someone knows whats up.

Always thought the end of Scott road would be good place for an AHL Hockey team arena. They would get the support But what would you call them??

The Surrey ...............?

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like they just threw it together. I bet Canada soccer trying to get the league out to the media as quick as possible to distract from the Herdwoman issue...:gurps:. Having a guy who worked at Tim Hortons run the whole league is a good step in the right direction....

He did help run the timbits program so he has some experience I guess...:D:eek::rolleyes:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts