Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canada's '06 World Cup Draw

Toze

Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Canadian Press@<

<

Canada will face modest Belize in its opening round of qualifying

for the 2006 World Cup of soccer.<

But things will get more difficult from there. Should Canada beat

Belize, it appears headed for the toughest of the three semifinal

qualifying groups in CONCACAF, which covers North and Central

America and the Caribbean.<

Canada, ranked 87th in the world, could end up in a semifinal

group with No. 19 Costa Rica, No. 45 Honduras and No. 73 Guatemala.

Only two will survive.<

But first up is No. 174 Belize in a home-and-away playoff in

June. The two countries have never played each other.<

Both teams were given a first-round bye in Friday's qualifying

draw in Frankfurt, Germany.<

Belize is ranked 22nd in the region. At No. 174 in the world, it

is rubbing shoulders with Cambodia and Kyrgyzstan.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Frank Yallop released the list of players invited to camp later in January, all trying to make the national team in an attemp to qualify for 2006.

Some of the notable local names on the list are Mark Watson back in the mix, very good to see, but from one of our favourite local teams, Iva (Johnny) Sulentic has been invited to camp. Good on Johnny for what I think is his first call to a senior camp. But what does this do to Croatia and thier hunt for promotion back to premier, or was Johnny even playing for them?

Good luck boys, I think Clarkie was named too, along with Onstad who has been great in the MLS the last few years. I did not see any names from the U-20 team that did so well at the U-20 championships last year.

hos

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canadian Roster For Florida Training Camp and Barbados Friendly

Name Position Club Date of Birth Caps Goals/Shutouts
Pat Onstad GK San Jose Earthquakes, MLS 1/13/68 38 15
Greg Sutton GK Montreal Impact, A-League 4/19/77 0 0
Nevio Pizzolitto D Cleveland Force/Montreal Impact 8/26/76 6 0
Mark Watson D Charleston Battery, A-League 9/8/70 69 0
Gabriel Gervais D Montreal Impact, A-League 9/18/76 0 0
Carl Fletcher D Unattached 12/26/71 40 2
Edgar Bartolomeu D New York/New Jersey MetroStars, MLS 9/14/76 0 0
Chris Pozniak D/M Orebro, Swedish Premier 1/10/81 9 0
Nick Dasovic D/M Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 12/5/68 60 2
Martin Nash M Dallas Sidekicks/Montreal Impact 12/27/75 29 2
Jeff Clarke M Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 10/18/77 19 1
Ive (Johnny) Sulentic M Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 12/24/79 0 0
Patrice Bernier M Moss FK, Norwegian Premier 9/23/79 2 0
Carlo Corazzin F Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 12/25/71 57 10
Dwayne de Rosario F San Jose Earthquakes, MLS 5/15/78 17 3
Staff
Frank Yallop Head Coach
Colin Miller Assistant Coach
Kevin Muldoon Goalkeeper Coach/Equipment Manager
Dave Foley Physiotherapist
Morgan Quarry Team Manager/Media Officer
Sanjay Gupta Doctor

revolutionary

May 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I saw on sportsnet today that there is a big controversy going on in Belize right now and they may be kicked out of FIFA which would obviously would mean that they are no longer able to compete in the world cup. Does anyone know the circumstances around this?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From CONCACAF's web site:

CONCACAF GENERAL SECRETARY TO VISIT BELIZE

29.1.04[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] - Chuck Blazer, the General Secretary of CONCACAF and member of the FIFA Executive Committee, is to visit Belize on Monday, February 2, to hold discussions with officials from the Football Federation of Belize (FFB) and the Belize Premier Football League (BPFL). This visit has been welcomed by the FFB President, Dr. Chimilo, and the President of the BPFL, Mr. Perdomo, both of whom have indicated they are happy to participate in the talks. The objective of Blazer’s visit is to bring about reconciliation and to reunite the two bodies in the interests of Belizean football.

Blazer, who is well experienced in such matters as a former Vice Chairman of FIFA’s National Associations Committee, is committed to bringing unity to Belizean football. He will be accompanied on his visit by two other high-ranking CONCACAF officials; Harold Taylor, who is a Deputy General Secretary of CONCACAF and General Secretary of the Caribbean Football Union, and who has previous experience of dealing with the situation in football in Belize, and; Rafael Tinoco, who is also a CONCACAF Deputy General Secretary and the new General Secretary of The Unión Centroamerica de Fútbol of which Belize is a member. The CONCACAF delegation’s visit will commence with a dinner to be attended by members of the Executive Committees of both the FFB and the BPFL and, the following day, meetings between all the parties will commence.

Rev, from what I remember hearing, there's a bit of a scrap going on between the FFB and the country's Premier League and National Sports Council over who's getting picked (or not picked) to the National team. There's a local allegation that Jack Warner (the CONCACAF president) had underhanded dealings with the FFB Executives and that large amounts of money intended for the soccer program have been channelled into personal accounts. Apparently, the National Sports Council had asked FIFA to disband the FFB and start over; the FFB doesn't want to be disbanded. Hence, the damage control team sent in today.

If they can't get this resolved, then it would mean that Belize has no representative side to play international games and the game would have to be defaulted, unless CONCACAF comes up with another scheduling format. Just like Guatemala.....

pease,

stew:cool:
[/font]

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In all the excitment of Euro 2004 we seemed to forget about this!

Canada Defeats Belize 4-0

Paul Peschisolido
Ottawa, Ontario – Canada's Men's World Cup Team defeated Belize 4-0 in the first of a two-game qualifying series at Richardson Stadium in Kinston, Ontario on Sunday, June 13th. Paul Peschisolido scored the game winner in the 39th minute while earning his 50th cap with Canada.

Canada who had not played in Canada since November 15, 2000 when they drew Mexico in a World Cup Qualifyer in Toronto kept the 8,245 spectators thrilled as they out-shot Belize 20-4 and attempted 13 corners

Tomasz Radzinski scored his 6th with Canada in the 55th minute when he played an Iain Hume corner off his chest and side volleyed from 11-yards out past Belize goalkeeper Shane Orio and into the bottom right corner of the net.

Two minutes after substituting in for Peschisolido, Kevin McKenna put the match out of reach for Belize in the 75th minute when he headed a Jim Brennan cross past Orio.

Brennan himself added to the rout in the 83rd minute with a tap past Orio on a cross by Dwayne deRosario.

“Our general play was excellent,” said Head Coach Frank Yallop. “With better finishing, we could have had a bigger win. Overall, it was a good solid effort by the team.”

Pat Onstad played all 90 minutes and earned his 16th shutout with Canada.

The second game of the series will be played at Richardson on Wednesday, June 16th at 7:00 p.m. where Canada will be designated as the away team.

June 13, 2004 – World Cup Qualifying – Game 1
Richardson Stadium – Kingston, ON
Canada 3(1)
Belize 0(0)
Attendance: 8,245
Goals: Canada-Peschisolido (39), Radzinski (55), McKenna (75); Brennan (83)
Cautions: Canada- Stalteri (89); Belize-Flowers (18), Frazer (72), Lyons (90)
CANADA- 1-Pat Onstad; 3-Ante Jazic; 4-Mark Watson; 5-Jason deVos; 6-Julian deGuzman; 7-Paul Stalteri; 8-Daniel Imhof; 9-Tomasz Radzinski; 10-Paul Peschisolido (2-Kevin McKenna, 73); 16-Iain Hume (11-Jim Brennan, 65); 17-Dwayne de Rosario; Head Coach-Frank Yallop
Subs not used: 22-Lars Hirschfeld; 12-Patrice Bernier; 13-Marc Bircham; 14-Atiba Hutchinson; 15-Mike Klukowski

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
zenga said:
Canada who had not played in Canada since November 15, 2000 when they drew Mexico in a World Cup Qualifyer in Toronto kept the 8,245 spectators thrilled as they out-shot Belize 20-4 and attempted 13 corners
Of the 13 corners Canada attempted, how many did they actually succeed with? The article never mentions that important statistic. Who writes this shite?

Attendance: 8,245
Twice the population of Belize then.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It wasn't even a full house.

If you watched the game, you would have thought it was being played at Queens Park in New West. Made for terrible TV. At least at Swanguard they would have filled the joined, and made for a better atmosphere.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If anyone starts to say things are looking up for Canada because we beat Belize 4-0, they are wacked! My O -35's team could beat Belize. This "International" lacked substance, professionalism, and that does have an effect on our players. I often wonder why some of our better players like Hume, Staltieri, and DeGuzman, can play at such a high level abroad, and can't accurately pass a ball 10 yards at home. I relate it to showing up for a game and then realizing you are about play on a cow pasture. There is nobody there. There is a rusting industrial container within eyeshot just behind the goal area, maybe a few shopping carts, and a few piles of dogshit. It doesn't exactly get you psyched for the game. Even our national anthem is some crackling, distorted taped rendition played over a substandard sound system. Brutal. We have some serious problems.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Balls...couldn't agree more. We're in Canada for Christ's sake. Have some pride and put together a better presentation than that!

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agree with most. Granted the result sucked in the England game from my perspective, and without stating the obvious, what a difference. Now if I think a top FVSL team could run with Belize, what do you think Peg would do to them Regs? Nice to see Canada playing with a swaggar, but if not for the goalie, could have been much worse. Coach is a grocer I recall hearing.
Anyhow, shocking facility, and other than a little patriotism, not sure why I watched as much as I did, I think the monsoon sucked me in at the beginning. Still stunned and unable to get off the couch I suppose from the two LFC gaffs, but for another thread.

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another Game tonight for our mens world cup hopefuls.

Swangard @ 7 PM vs. Guatemala.

Looks like we come into the match ranked 96th in the world on the Fifa rankings with our three upcoming opponents ranked as follows.

Guatemala - Ranked 79th
Honduras - Ranked 59th
Costa Rica - Ranked 28th

Belize who we earlier defeated is ranked 180th

Ticketmaster still has lots of tickets from the looks of things, I got a handful easily for Section B... and hope to enjoy the game.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Would love to, but the boy has hockey tonight. Gotta start brainwashing them early, you know. 2026 Olympics, here we come...

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude said:
Would love to, but the boy has hockey tonight. Gotta start brainwashing them early, you know. 2026 Olympics, here we come...

Doesn't Mini-dude have a forum on here already?

2026 Puts you at about 60 Dude, Perfect time for retirement while milking mini-dudes contract as his agent..

Hope we see good support tonight at the game.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuking hell...I'm not that old! I only play like I'm old and busted up.

It'll put me at 52...and live off the boy I will.

As for tonight, I have a sinking feeling. I hope that Yallop has been able to get the guys together enough to change their mindset and approach to the game in time to pull this off. Something is telling me that this round won't be it. But by the next go around, the younger players will be well seasoned, and Yallop will have been able to put his stamp on the system enough to make the difference.

Anyhow, I hope the guys pull it off, as they can use the early momentum.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So, who else is pissed off & disappointed?

I missed the first 16 minutes (and the first goal), but caught the balance. Canada looked thoroughly outclassed until about 10 minutes left in the 1st. From there, you could start to see the individual talents of some of the players- specifically deRosario & deGuzman- but they weren't a team.

Very disappointed with the performances of Peschisolido, Stalteri, & Watson. Watson just looked old out there. Pesc, most of the time, seemed uninterested in working for the ball. Stalteri was outplayed, and outworked. These three should have showed their leadership. At least Watson gave a solid effort...can't say the same about the other two.

Hopefully playing at home in October will give our guys an advantage against the Hondurans. Sadly, I don't believe it will happen for Canada until we have a group of guys playing together 8-10 months of the year. Frank Yallops dream of having three MLS teams up here seems to be the only way, although it is probably an impossibility.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Someone please tell me Peschisolido isn't still Canada's best striker!?!

Dude, I have to agree but honestly, what did you expect? Until Bureaucrat Canada removes its collective heads from its collective arses and figures out that soccer, actually sport in generally needs to be funded we're doomed to this type of product and Olymipic production. I wonder if they know how much they could make off a well funded program? Actually I don’t wonder I know they don’t know.

I thought Guzman was our best player until he pulled his labia before the first half.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts