Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canada WC 2022 Prep

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The commentary is as diabolic as Qatar so far today...

Tough to read much into Canada at the minute. Not exactly being pushed.

Thank god TSN has the World Cup rights. I legitimately could not abide Wheeler calling those.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

1663967259572.png

lego3

Oct 20, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good win for Canada, they were sloppy defensively were lucky not to get punished for the giveaways. Hopefully Davies isn't injured and is ready for the next game. Uruguay will be a good test to see where they stand.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Game day! KO 9AM, really looking forward to seeing how Canada deals with Nunez...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
First half thoughts:

Alistair has seen better days. Caught ball watching when Nunez skyed it from in close shortly before not challenging strong enough (and losing position a bit) on Nunez goal. Tactically, somehow Herdman needs to get Vitoria marking Nunez.

Layrea/Laryea for me is useless. Not a fan... Junior a much better option at this point.

Lastly, it wouldn't be a CMNT post w/o complaining about Wheeler/Brennan... such a shitty duo to listen to.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
First half thoughts:

Alistair has seen better days. Caught ball watching when Nunez skyed it from in close shortly before not challenging strong enough (and losing position a bit) on Nunez goal. Tactically, somehow Herdman needs to get Vitoria marking Nunez.

Layrea/Laryea for me is useless. Not a fan... Junior a much better option at this point.

Lastly, it wouldn't be a CMNT post w/o complaining about Wheeler/Brennan... such a shitty duo to listen to.
It has been fun watching Ali get better and better over the past year, but he is getting absolutely bullied by Nunez at the minute. Will be interesting to see if he can adapt and learn from it.

Gotta think Laryea is coming off for Buchanan at some point in the second half. Surely.

Alphonso in a free role up top I think has been rather effective. It is clear he is used to playing against players of this calibre. The rest of Canada's attack, not so much. Plenty of crucial poor first touches or passes just off the mark in the final third. Against Jamaica you can get away with it. Against world class teams, your attacking chance is gone.

Again, hopefully they can learn and adapt.

Wheeler's incessant Canada bias and inability to be critical of the team is maddening. The fcuk cares that we had 59% possession in the first half you moron...are you watch this game? Uruguay are clearly setting up to hit us on the counter and its carried them to a fairly comfortable 2-0 lead....

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Comfortable for Uruguay.

Canada's purported "strength" is our attack. If we cannot create and then take our chances, we are in trouble.

It is like when you get stuck with a 17 at the Blackjack table against the dealer's face card...you're pretty much just waiting to lose...

Good test. Lots of takeaways. Looking forward to seeing what adjustments they make for Japan prior to Belgium.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Most Improved since qualifying?

Kamal Miller

Did not think I would ever feel "safe" when he was back there and on the ball, he has come miles over the last year or so.

Food for thought:

Is playing Davies in a roaming attacking role hurting the team structure? Moreso, is it hurting his play and effectiveness individually? I'm leaning towards yes as clearly he is trying to do too much...

Last thought:

Kone is going to get key minutes in Qatar.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Most Improved since qualifying?

Kamal Miller

Did not think I would ever feel "safe" when he was back there and on the ball, he has come miles over the last year or so.
Still don't love him back there, but he's no longer an "oh god I hope the ball doesn't go anywhere near him" situation. He'd still be the first guy I would replace, but given our other options, I'd agree he makes the 11.

Food for thought:

Is playing Davies in a roaming attacking role hurting the team structure? Moreso, is it hurting his play and effectiveness individually? I'm leaning towards yes as clearly he is trying to do too much...

Maybe... But then who does that job? Maybe Osorio? Looks like Hoilett is making a push to be a starting consideration for Qatar on that right side. So do you drop him and play Buchanan on the right and Phonzie on the left?

Herdman looks intent on playing both Larin and David as a two, rather than just one of them in a three (or forcing David out of his best position into a wider role). Need a ten behind them. Davies did take too many touches on more than just a few occasions, but you have to feel like that can be tidied up with some work in the video room. Meanwhile, his ability to drift between the lines makes it a nightmare for defenders to figure out who needs to be picking him up. This is as opposed to when he is wide left and they can just plant a right back out there to try and hinder him. We have seen Mexico deal with him effectively this way before.

I am not saying I am sold on it. However, I think you have to find a way to get your best 11 on the field and this might be the way to do it.

Last thought:

Kone is going to get key minutes in Qatar.

Certainly if Atiba and Osorio are unavailable. Piette simply CANNOT be the solution and MAK seems to have drifted off the radar. Perhaps that red in Costa Rica is still in the back of Herdman's mind, combined with the fact that, yes, Piette is having a better season in MLS than MAK.

Kone looked a bit overawed in that Panama game, but looked much more comfortable and effective today. You can see why there is buzz about him making a big money move to Europe, possibly as early as January.

Arfield leaving the door open with a "you never know what the future holds" when asked about a return by KJ during the Qatar game. If Oso and Atiba are doubts, maybe Herdman does explore that option...

Other takeaways I had:

Corbeanu looks to have bulked up a bit and was brimming with confidence, keen to take players on. Clearly riding high from his strong form in the Championship with Blackpool at the minute. Have to feel he could be a solid asset coming off the bench in Qatar if he continues like this.

Looks like Ugbo has overtaken Cavallini as Herdman's first choice for fresh legs behind David and Larin. Have to say I have been underwhelmed by Ugbo though, he has been invisible in nearly every appearance and when he does get chances, like the sitter he had against Qatar, he cannot seem to find the net.

For a country that used to be built around getting the big boys up and causing problems on set pieces, we have been woeful for awhile now in that department. I remember Vitoria scoring from a whipped freekick in the Gold Cup, but I don't remember any World Cup qualifying goals from corners or freekicks (happy to be corrected on that front though). With the technicians we have available to provide service, surely this should be a strength. Right now though, if I am the opposition I have no issues at all just turning the ball out for a corner or chopping a guy down outside the box.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Arfield leaving the door open with a "you never know what the future holds" when asked about a return by KJ during the Qatar game. If Oso and Atiba are doubts, maybe Herdman does explore that option...
No way Herdman is taking Arfield. Arf blew it when Herdman first took over and Arf told him "how it was going to go".

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
One of my biggest takeaways is to play Davies where he is a natural. That is on the left side either as left back or mid. He needs the space to run. Playing him in the middle I feel he tries to do too much. On the outside I just feel he has the space to really get his legs moving and provide the outside threat.

Set pieces and corners were brutal.

We had some good moments and lots of good things to take away.

But man watching a team like Urugay step up the lines and counter so fast was an eye opener.
The way they move as a unit and keep the lines tight was cool to watch.
Thats the stuff that spl or hpl or john the vmsl player turned mountain coach wont spend time teaching and that is the stuff that takes you to the next level. Was so evident today.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts