Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canada Vs Honduras Oct 16

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Those changes in structure just took place in the Spring... I'm not seeing how anyone can pin the monumental failure we all just witnessed on the CSA :confused:

Best way to put this for me is, They swapped a pontiac sunfire for a chevy cavalier. Same shite engine .. with a few cosmetic differing details to make u think you've upgraded. End of the day your still driving a piece of shite thats not gonna get you where you wanna go , at least not long term

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not coaching and not even in Canada much lately but one thing that I have felt was wrong in the player development thinking in recent years that is missing is the focus on the individual skills versus how they apply these in actual game situations.

It is great to develop individual skills but the great players have the ability to find ways and create play that helps their team win.

I look at hockey in Canada and the USA (never involved in it but observations only) and the experiences that a player has got by the time he is in the NHL. These guys have seen it all in a team - the good, the bad and the ugly. The players that go to winning teams (sometimes the luck of the draft) have developed their skill sets on poor, average and very good teams. The best players have been those who can create plays that help their teams win. Or put in another way, Phil Jackson with Jordan and the Bulls used to say that Jordan's job was to get the best out of those around him because when the game is on the line in the 4thQ they'll do it what it takes to stop the one star. We know Jordan won games but the idea is the right one.

When running a CAT team (that ended my desire to coach as it is not about winning any more) we had a player or two that came from off shore development situations where they were getting great coaching on individual skills but not actually playing in a team with a winning focus they were not great initial contributors to helping the team.

We do background checks in Hong Kong and I have done them for coaches who are coming from the UK and these guys are fantastic at running individual skills for their clubs. My last question always is after all the accolades: How did their team do in actual play? As this is not the focus you get replies like - not bad.

My point. Develop players in a team situations including finding national team players who can play and help their team win. It is developing players in competitive games. When you get this BS thinking that you develop players in short term situations or leagues like CAT where there is no end result worth having - players aren't challenged.

They need some new thinking.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Jigsaw - I hear and feel your frustration. But what does 1 season of BCSPL have to do with the current national team performance?

Let's all take one big step back and look at how our u23, u20, and u17 team programs are doing. Certainly the u17 and u20 who have been around for some of the more recent changes to actually affect performance. The u20 and u17's recently both did so-so at international friendly tournaments, which is all nice and wonderful. Neither team brought their "top" players - as I suspect neither did their performances.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also in 1988, four Canadian national team players were guilty of taking bribes in a match-fixing scandal at the Merlion Cup in Singapore. The Canadian Soccer Association suspended Chris Cheuden, Hector Marinaro, David Norman and Igor Vrablic for one year each. Marinaro and Norman were reinstated and resumed play for Canada. In the wake of Canada's World Cup appearance, the Canadian Soccer League began operations in 1987, and in 1989 the Canadian Soccer Referees' Association was founded.[SUP][7][/SUP]

canuckboy

Oct 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I couldn't agree more about the lack of a Canadian League. Three MLS teams with maybe 4 canadian starters just isn't going to get the job done. How many good players come out of u-18 and have nowhere to go? Div 4 FVSL? Look at hockey how many of those late round drafts go into the AHL and end up becoming stars. We are literally throwing away our talent. We do do a good job at the youth level. We have lots of players, but the whole effort dies after youth. And until there is a market demand for more soccer that will continue. I always think of Alex Burrows cast out playing in a roller hockey league. He still had a competitive place to play until the scouts finally saw him. I've been playing soccer for 30 years. I don't know how many times I've played against really good players where I thought, "Is there no where else this kid can play?".

I feel bad for Canadian Soccer today, though i doubt in the HEX round we would have advanced anyway. We are years, and a proper soccer system away from our next world cup qualification.

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So when we as parents are putting our kids in their club development academy's ,does that say its a waist of Time,or a cash grab !?

Ie :brad Higgs school
Of excellence what a turkey fuk joke ,every Cnut is making money these days off one club or another !!where does the heart & pride come in to play

WTF

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So when we as parents are putting our kids in their club development academy's ,does that say its a waist of Time,or a cash grab !?

Ie :brad Higgs school
Of excellence what a turkey fuk joke ,every Cnut is making money these days off one club or another !!where does the heart & pride come in to play

WTF

Agree. Yesterday was a heart / preparedness issue. There are no words to describe how collosally bad they were, you almost couldn't make it up it was so bad.

TheBoss

Mar 31, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
My issue with a loss of this magnitude, is the fact that our back line had been stingy to this point. Thats not to say that we were fantastic by any stretch in the early part of qualifying, but we were not conceding goals in a easy manner by any stretch.SO what exactly happened yesterday? Obviously there was a MASSIVE technical breakdown in Canada's defending. Now is that partially because we don't have the players, yes. But for a team looking for a draw, to come out and defend the way we did was absolutely disgusting. Yes, there was also a lack of heart and effort from Canada, but there has to be accountability for Hart at the end of the day for the tactics employed.

I've been frustrated with the program before, but never have I been as embarrassed as I was yesterday. I guess we can only go up from here....I guess.

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bring DUDE ,bobby & Carl back to Play in the national program,fuk it throw in tony & his budgie too

Sid

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can we? We hit rock bottom about 8 years ago, and have been going horizontally ever since.
Watching Canada as a young boy against France in 86 was a ****n joke ,it's a joke 26 years ago & will be for mny years to come ,guys like bobby just wants to keep his name ,the only interest Canada players had in 86 was who was going to trade jerseys with platini !as for leopar duzzi ,he played left full for the 86ers with no left foot ....do the math,it's like dude playing right full with a right foot
And this guy was once the BOss of our national program

FU bobby ya wop

Sid

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Always putting the a$$ in class eh sid

I didn't watch the game either, I had PVR'd it but deleted it as soon as I got home. I did watch the limited highlightes last night and from the goals against I saw and the lack of defending that led to them made me wonder if Canadian players were once again on the take. Maybe I am just hoping there is no way we could be that bad but it looked like they were inviting them to score goals. Not sure what would be a bigger embarrassment, Canada's national team being on the take twice or the national team playing the way they did because that is who we are. The one good thing about this is the amount of interest in the press this is getting including the call for changes to the CSA. As negative as the press is maybe just maybe this embarrassment will bring out some changes that are desperately needed.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh by the way....I'm not afraid to say it. The problems of these teams start at the top....guys there have been 'untouchable' and everyone below keeps getting the boot. Any other country which would have been embarrassed like Canada yesterday would have cleaned shop from the TOP of the organisation. Sorry, but the reality is too many people have been far too comfortable in their positions for far too long. Grassroots this....that. Look to the top and start working down.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain, I like your post about "The Fix" Declan Hill went to the deepest under belly of the underworld to get the research done on that book and it's an amazing read.

The new CSA boss was just named no? I don't think any FA would gas a brand new President of the FA for players and guys we had not selected etc under his watch. This is now his time to reform the Senior Mens National Team, and start applying the appropriate amount of pressure on the Provincial Bodies to clean up their act and bring in the best manager they can find and fcuk the money... you can find the money if it's being spent as we all think it is, poorly.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts