Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canada U-20 Tourney a Mess?

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Uh-oh! :eek:

Talk About a Real Mess
Timing bad for under-20 soccer

Reports from Brazil suggest that Joao Havelange, honorary president of the Federation of International Football Association and former long-time president of FIFA, is quietly working behind the scenes to arrange a postponement of the under-20 World Cup scheduled for six Canadian cities this summer, including Toronto's new BMO Stadium at the CNE.

Havelange apparently is concerned that the July dates conflict with not only the July 8 Toronto Grand Prix, but the Pan American Games scheduled for Rio de Janeiro, as well.

Havelange is worried that most countries would send their most talented young players to the under-20s and use lesser talents for the Pan Ams.

Bruce Thomas, a prominent Toronto lawyer and chairman of the under-20 event, also is concerned, but more specifically with the auto race.

"How can our teams and fans get to the stadium when the CNE's race track with its concrete barriers will make access to the stadium almost impossible?" he said. "It would be better if Mr. Havelange could convince FIFA that the under-20 World Cup should be postponed either to August before the CNE opens, or to September, after the CNE closes."

Couldn't someone in the local organizing committee have raised this issue when the championship was first awarded to Canada and games were scheduled in Toronto? After all, it's not like this is the first time that the Grand Prix has been held in July.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Legacy...no kidding.

Besides a mailer from the Whitecaps, I have heard or seen SFA about this tourney.

CSA...in order to fill seats, you MUST promote! Christ, seems so simple. :rolleyes:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Time of the year again? That time when you stop being Canadian and start being Irish?

;)

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Small item not being promoted at all in regards to this tourney is who is not comeing, or DID NOT qualify.

Germany
France
Holland
Italy
England

Portugal, Spain, Poland, Scotland, Czech's, and Austria from Europe qualified.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
LFC2 said:
Germany
France
Holland
Italy
England

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

:D

Burnro

Jul 10, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The upcoming U-20 World Cup is squaring up to be another disaster for the CSA. Regardless of the fact Kevin Pipe was a key player in setting things up, he has now been gone for a long enough period of time that makes you wonder what the rest of the CSA full-time staff do during their days? As a few of you have already mentioned...absolutely nothing has been done to promote the tournament! How is this possible?!?!?! This is the only time we will ever be awarded an official FIFA event, so even if you are the biggest moron working for the CSA, you have to logically think about tourney promotion!:confused:

Even the CSA's official supplier, Adidas Canada, is becoming fed up with the lack of support and promotion as they spend millions on U-20 apparel and equipment, not only for participating countries, but for the host cities and regular retail product lines nationwide...what a fcuking embarassment!!!

The CSA could be reaching hundreds of thousands of soccer players across the country with simple TV ads on Fox Sports Canada & Sportsnet soccer coverage. Even cheaper (the CSA way) would be to take advantage of any soccer publications across the country, as well as mandating the provincial associations to place promotional banners on their websites and those of each club affiliate within those provinces. Just think of how quickly the word would spread by placing a top-page banner on the TTP site and Soccer Webmasters Alliance sites...that would cover the Lower Mainland & Fraser Valley within a week!!!:eek:

Just a thought for you there Regs...a quick email to the CSA to set up a U-20 WCup banner on your sites would probably be very affordable to those cheap CSA bastards, yet fantastic for you in terms of revenue, exposure, and promotion, especially once you provide your web-hit count and number of members...I bet it wouldn't take too much time to set up either.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CSA is well aware of TTP and the SWA... they are past clients.

Unfortunately I think these organisations feel that because we are soccer related, we should be promoting the event anyways.

I can see the point, but I also think it is a bit arrogant.

The other point is that there are a lot of 'administrators' out there that do not like the TTP name, nor do they like the criticism that they see written on here from time to time.

But what can you do? Long gone are the days where I worry about it and try to email these people. I have better things to do now. :D

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
But what can you do? Long gone are the days where I worry about it and try to email these people. I have better things to do now. :D
Older and wiser, eh? Must have had a birthday or something recently.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just read that there has already been 750,000 tickets sold for the u-20
in Canada. So with that number it will be interesting to see if there are alot of empty seats come game time. I plan on getting out to catch a couple games.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Large blocks of tickets were sold to youth groups across Canada - I really hope we don't see/hear kids screaming dominately at every game.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
"dominately?" :confused: Predominantly?

I can predict that the crowds at the games here (Swangard) will consist mostly of youth soccer players and their haggard coaches and parents, and that there will eventually be more kids playing down by the scoreboard than watching in the stands...

Anybody know how the 4-packs work? I bought a couple for my demonspawn as Christmas presents, and at the time they were all that was available. Also, nobody at Ticketmaster had any clue as to how they were to work, nor was there any info on the CSA site.

C'mon, Vic, this is NOT what we sent you to Ottawa for...

Trece

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tosaint Ricketts' hat trick lifts Canada under-20 team over U.S 4-0
Canadian Press

OTTAWA (CP) - Tosaint Ricketts scored three goals as Canada's men's under-20 team defeated their American counterparts 4-0 on Wednesday night in preparation for this summer's FIFA U-20 World Cup tournament.

The victory helped Canada split their two-match series with the U.S. after a 4-1 loss on Sunday in Ottawa.

"It was good what happened to us on Sunday," said Canada head coach Dale Mitchell. "We learned quite a bit and we went back to playing our strengths."

It took Ricketts all of two minutes to score his first goal of the match. The striker was able to break in and put the ball past American goalkeeper Diego Restrepo.

Canada continued to press, adding a second goal just 17 minutes later off the foot of Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault. Another nine minutes after that, Ricketts scored his second goal as Canada went up 3-0.

At the other end of the pitch, Canadian goalkeeper Asmir Begovic maintained a clean sheet throughout the first half. David Monsalve took his place in the second half and did the same.

As for Ricketts, he completed the hat trick in the 65th minute, putting Canada up 4-0.

"It's always good to score," said Ricketts. "That's my job, especially as the lone striker."

Ricketts became just the sixth youth player to score a hat trick for Canada, the first since Niall Thompson on 7 July 1991 (also a 4-0 win against the United States). Ricketts moves into first place amongst active youth players with five career goals (four games).

The Canada's men's under-20 team's next and final game will be played on June 18 in Edmonton. Canada will face the Czech Republic at Commonwealth Stadium.

Well done, Thommo!

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0