Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Can the Lions go undefeated?

Can the Lions go undefeated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Using their fifth:rolleyes: string QB, the Lions claw out another win. Everything seems to be going their way. Even when they are being out played, they win. Depth and defense are the keys, and the Lions have it this year. How many other teams could win games using a third string QB? I doubt many.

So, can they win the next nine? I think they can. I think the only team that can knock them off right now would be Edmonton. Ricky Ray is on fire right now, and they are only getting better as the season goes along.

What do you think Reccos? Can they do it?

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't think it is possible to go unbeaten in the CFL with an 18 game schedule. YOu play some teams 3 teams and beating a team 3 times in a year is tough to do.

At some point you need to win a game or 2 when things aren't going very well. I believe Saturday defintely counts as one of those. I believe the RCMP in Regina are contemplating charging Buono and the Lions with the theft of 2 points after the game.
It's pretty bad in Saskatchewan when there starting quarterback wouldn't even be on our practise roster. McCallum blows 2 shortish field goals in the first half and the Lions end up winning by 4. MOre importantly Sasketchewan looks worse than Hamilton and Nealon greene would have a hard time starting for the Surrey Rams. Any more perfomrances like this and they will quickly lose the and 0 after the win total.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can't see them going undefeated, besides, if they do, they'll be beat in the 1st playoff game. I hope I'm wrong, but going by statistics, an undefeated season if nearly impossible. A game 17 loss would be ideal. Give them a little scare w/ one game to go, come back strong and fix it, and the loss is still fresh in the player's minds during the 1st round bye.

May have been pointed out before, but Buono sure does have a knack of either developing a quarterback friendly offence, or developing quarterbacks. In Calgary, he always had a competent QB sitting in the wings. If not, he deals them. Not sure if Spurgeon Winn would have been able to engineer two TDs the other night.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't disagree with anything said so far. I'd hate to have that first game to be lost the Western Division Final but the issue is which game you lose and how it is lost or who you lose to and if it shifts momentum to them.

We got one healthy QB who can play in Buck Pierce and shortly I suspect, Dave Dickenson will return ok.

Casey is banged up and just not ready to play and this could be more mental than physical - all the injuries, contract stuff, who is no. 1, may be taking a bigger toll on him than the opposition.

Granted he had bad field position a lot the other night but he is just not making his reads and isn't moving up into the pocket to get him some time to find open guys or even spaces to run to. If you are going to be effective when they use various sets that 0 backs, 1 back, 2 backs on passing plays and you know they will blitz you as things aren't going good, you have to step up into the pocket to avoid sacks from the backside. The unconfident Casey isn't able to do that it seems. The only solution if you don't let him heal is to get him some plays that will move the pocket and get a guard or tackle out in front of him and get some mobility in his play. Not sure right now if that will work.

Right now, Pierce looks effective and should be the starter for the Ottawa game. He deserves that based on the Rider game.

But to return the question. Can they go undefeated? Yes, they could if they learned what they had to from Saturday night, but do I want to see it - hmm not so sure.

The interesting thing that suggests they can overcome injuries if they come is that this team has so much depth including the practice roster where you still have def linemen like Booker and offensive players like TJ Acree (WR) and Eddie Linscomb (RB) and these guys can play. Jarius Jackson is still there too - QB and he might be able to play. He is a Printers type physically with a desire to toss 40 -50 yarders that are beauties in practice, but just don't all go to the right team.

willis316

Oct 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes they can. Saturday proved that. Will they? Probably not. To play that bad and still win though is a good sign. Also I think the defence and special teams deserve some credit despite how bad the Riders did play. As for they will lose their first game in the playoffs theory. HAs this ever happened?? Has a team had a perfect record only to lose it in the playoffs??? Has a team even gone with only one loss and not won the championship?? I can' think of it in professional football. In college it happens quite often becasue two undefeated teams face each other in bowl games so one of them has to lose. OTher than that I say say if they go 18-0 you can expect a grey cup party of mass proportions.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From Lionbackers.com

Most wins in a row
22- Calgary, Aug. 25 1948 to Oct. 22, 1949.
14- Edmonton Eskimos, Oct. 16 1954 to Oct. 1, 1955.
11 - Winnipeg 2001

Most points in standings,

32 - Edmonton 16-2-0 1989 (lost western final)
30 - Calgary 15-3-0 1993 (lost western final)
- Calgary 15-3-0 1994 (lost western final)
- Calgary 15-3-0 1995 (lost Grey Cup)
- Baltimore 15-3-0 1995 (WON GREY CUP)
- Toronto 15-3-0 1996 (WON GREY CUP)
- Toronto 15-3-0 1997 (WON GREY CUP)
29 - Edmonton 14-1-1 1981 (WON GREY CUP)

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts