Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[Bookie] WC Quarter Finals - England vs Portugal [R]

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
'No problem between Rooney and me' - Ronaldo
BERLIN, July 3 (Reuters) - Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo said on Monday there was no animosity between him and Wayne Rooney despite the furore over the winger's actions when the England forward was red carded in their World Cup quarter-final.

'There is no problem at all between me and Rooney,' Ronaldo told the website of the Gestifute agency, which represents him. 'At the end of the game, we exchanged a series of text messages just as we had on the day before.

'This reinforces that I have a fine relationship with Rooney. Between the two of us, everything is clear,' added Ronaldo who plays with Rooney at Manchester United.

In the second half of Saturday's match with England, Ronaldo rushed 40 metres to the referee, apparently to demand a card for Rooney who had battled his way through two players and trod on Ricardo Carvalho's groin as he tried to disentangle himself.

Rooney was sent off by Argentine referee Horacio Elizondo and Ronaldo was captured by TV cameras winking at his bench as the England forward walked off the pitch.

'I complained to the referee about the foul but I didn't ask for a red card,' the Portugal winger said after the match.

'How is it possible that I would help to get him sent off? I am not the referee with the power to send off anyone I want, nor do I have the ability to convince him to show cards,' he added on Monday.

'The referee produced the red card because he thought that he had to, and my participation in that was absolutely zero.'

Ronaldo had also feigned a head-butt towards Rooney seconds before the match kicked off as he was walking past his club mate to take up his position on the left wing.

British media reported on Monday that the England forward was furious with Ronaldo and attempted to charge into Portugal's dressing room to confront the winger after the match.

But Ronaldo said Rooney had told him to ignore the English press saying 'they only want to stir things up'.

'Statements have appeared as if they were from him, saying that he didn't want to play with me in Manchester,' said Ronaldo. 'That's not what he wants. Of course he wants to (play with me). This is absolutely false, he said so himself...'

'In fact, he didn't just send me congratulations for going forward in the World Cup, he also told me we have a great team, and if we carry on as we have, we will get a long way. He wasn't angry with me, or about anything that happened.'

Ronaldo, who faced England after recovering from a thigh injury inflicted by a high tackle in the second-round match with Netherlands, is still having ice treatment on the leg but says he will be ready for Wednesday's semi-final in Munich.

Ahemm...I call bullshit:D

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
bulljive said:
apparently Rooney has told british tabloids he will split ronaldo in two if he sees him at training camp. I have a feeling ronaldo is going to get that transfer he is looking for.

Ah yes, the good old British Tabloids. :D

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AkbDyLh3WTgDpU6fnq6Zlv0mw7YF?slug=afp-fblwc2006poreng&prov=afp&type=lgns

Who do you believe? A diving cheating **** like Ronaldo or a dirty **** like Rooney. 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other for me.......**** them both.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here is a good link on the whole Ronaldo/Rooney issue. It's a clip from the BBC booth with Alan Shearer sitting in. there's been a bunch written about how Ronaldo feined a headbutt towards Rooney prior to kickoff, but in seeing it here, it looked more friendley then anything. As for the "wink" to the dugout, it's here too. Pretty low on his part, I think. But everytime I look at the clip of the stamp, it looks as though he (Rooney) knows where he's putting his boot and the referee stops play immed. Ronaldo runs in with his 2 cents worth and Rooney pushes him away. Ref blows again and now pulls Rooney aside. In all, I think when he blew his whistle initially, he was running the whole thing through his head, possibly trying to get insight over the headset from the AR's and was going to rule "Violent Conduct". But then with the push, things are flaring up and he has to get control immed. so it is then he gets on to calling Rooney over. Just becasue he initally takes his time to dealing with the situation, doesn't infer that his decsion to show red was made with Ronaldo's plea (as British media want us to believe) or the push; it's just the manner in which he chose to control the situation. He doesn't need to fly in like some officials do and have the card out as he's runnig towards to incedent. He's calm and controlled throughout the entire game.
Your thoughts alikira as I notice you are also a referee. If there are other referee's reading this, your perspective would be helpful.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ylMqeyMgsxs&search=ronaldo headbutt

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
canucklehead said:
Here is a good link on the whole Ronaldo/Rooney issue. It's a clip from the BBC booth with Alan Shearer sitting in. there's been a bunch written about how Ronaldo feined a headbutt towards Rooney prior to kickoff, but in seeing it here, it looked more friendley then anything. As for the "wink" to the dugout, it's here too. Pretty low on his part, I think. But everytime I look at the clip of the stamp, it looks as though he (Rooney) knows where he's putting his boot and the referee stops play immed. Ronaldo runs in with his 2 cents worth and Rooney pushes him away. Ref blows again and now pulls Rooney aside. In all, I think when he blew his whistle initially, he was running the whole thing through his head, possibly trying to get insight over the headset from the AR's and was going to rule "Violent Conduct". But then with the push, things are flaring up and he has to get control immed. so it is then he gets on to calling Rooney over. Just becasue he initally takes his time to dealing with the situation, doesn't infer that his decsion to show red was made with Ronaldo's plea (as British media want us to believe) or the push; it's just the manner in which he chose to control the situation. He doesn't need to fly in like some officials do and have the card out as he's runnig towards to incedent. He's calm and controlled throughout the entire game.
Your thoughts alikira as I notice you are also a referee. If there are other referee's reading this, your perspective would be helpful.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ylMqeyMgsxs&search=ronaldo%20headbutt

Canucklehead, That is exactly the way I interpreted it too. There is no way he was red carded for the little shove......The only other possiblity was a yellow for the shove and then another yellow for dissent but that definitely wasn't the case as he was shown straight red. At the end of the day, Rooney is an idiot and proved this once again. :(

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain,

After watching the video Canucklehead linked to, I found a gem that I know you'll like.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=VZBEVCPDo3g&search=17"]YouTube - Italia 90[/ame]

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I watched that game Saturday, cheering for England to beat the cheating Pork & Cheese, just for the honor of being shown the door by either Brazil or France (ZZ is the man).

First, I thought that at even strength, they were playing typically of this whole tourney...enough to get by. Nothing spectacular. One of the players I was looking forward to watching this WC was Rooney; it was supposed to be his coming out party. Instead, we see a few near flashes of brilliance, but nothing earth shattering.

Second piss off was seeing Beckham go down then crying like a puss on the sidelines, and then that followed by Rooney sabotaging himself. I thought the red was dodgy only because I interpreted it as a straight red for the shove, but the kid did nothing to endear himself by stepping on another man's Michael Ballacks (stole that gem from one of the quality English play-by-play men in an early round game). That was as dumb as Becky's red from many years back. Seeing Ronaldo winking to his sideline pissed me off even more.

Peter Crouch is a useless twat. Honestly, it's like watching Shawn Bradley on skates. If that's England's best second option (or 3rd, behind Owen), they have problems. How many great balls need to be swung into the box, only for Pinocchio to be out jumped and out challenged by a defender close to a full foot shorter? They would have been much better off riding Joe Cole till at least extra time, where they would have been able to maintain that possession they were carrying in to the final 3rd. Fcuking Crouch can't hold a ball if his life depends on it, and proved it.

Final piss off of the morning was seeing Owen Hargreaves perform as the best player on the pitch for England (FIFA Man of the Match). Always behind the ball when needed, and attacked smartly a man down. He looked fresh at the end of the 120, and he did more running than anyone. The only "English" player to pot one in spotters is a non-resident, ex-Canadian, who plays for that storied EPL team, Bayern Munich FC. Christ, the kid wouldn't know a banger if it hit him in his bratwurst. Irony of ironies, based on his performance and relative youthfulness, he'd be the best choice to one day wear Becky's tear soaked armband if he was, well, actually English. Frank Lampard hitting that shot with his tube of Mac lipstick was embarrassing for England, full stop. Gerard looked indecisive, but at least struck the ball with authority. I thought Carragher's shot was brilliant with the exception of, you know, forgetting to wait for a fcuking whistle.

Say it with me: CHOKE.

All in all, it left me with a sour taste in my mouth for all of 10 minutes. I really could care less about England- except that they had a thankless little cnut as their heart and soul- but can't stand to see Portugal go through. Nice to see the French playing well; I see them completely dismantling the wop wannabes. Figo won't know what to do with ZZ. Zenadine with one goal, and will set up another for a 2-0 ticket to the finals.

Sep 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
canucklehead said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ylMqeyMgsxs&search=ronaldo headbutt

Spot on!

Most refs have been delaying the cards all tournament, allowing them time to converse with the 2nd official, and allowing them time to access the foul.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The tabloid that has printed the "I'll split you in two" quotes is The Sun, the worst of all the shite-rags out there. There will be absolutely no truth in what they have printed. Man, it's embarassing to see Sportsnet jumping on this "news" on broadcasting it. They just have no fcuking idea when it comes to soccer. Er, football.

I was happy to see Hargreaves play so well, If only to piss off Dude.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Games over it doesn't matter....Rooney is known for his dirty play and foul mouth. Ronaldo did what every teammate would have done in that situation. Look at Germany at the end of the pk's with Argentina same thing!

Hey does anyone know if that german guy got suspended for his Hitler salute at the end of the pk's:confused:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Probably Ronaldo went for the long run to the ref precisely because he did know his teammate- Rooney- was wound up enough to be suckered into enough of a foul to help the ref make his mind. The more you watch that reply of his groin stomp, the more it become pretty damn evident he knew exactly what he was doing, despite the English commentary otherwise. No way that the red was for only the shove...but had Rooney "apologized" and then walked away, perhaps the ref could have been persuaded enough to show yellow. As it was, Rooney gave him the perfect excuse to show red.

We've all been in situations similar, where we "accidentally" stomp or drag our boots across a fallen player you happen to be tangled up with.

All it proved to me was:

1. Ronaldo is smarter than Rooney. That said, I have a bag of wiffle balls in my garage that is smarter than Rooney.
2. Ronaldo is still a cheater.

BTW..people (even I) have piled on the ref in this case, and others. We all talk about it...the human element of the game. The ref's decision is final, and they have a fraction amount of time to make it. Sometimes they are sold...but FIFA really needs to look into reviewing tape and investigating incidences, and punishing players if found to have embellished. This way, they are actually throwing support behind the refs, telling the players that, even if they get away with theatrics in a game, they may still have to face the panel.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ronaldo cleared over Rooney red card

Referee Horacio Elizondo insists Portugal winger Cristiano Ronaldo did not influence his decision to send off England striker Wayne Rooney in Saturday's World Cup quarter-final.

Manchester United forward Rooney appeared to stamp on Ricardo Carvalho after an hour of the match, which England went on to lose after a penalty shoot-out.

Ronaldo infuriated his United club colleague by calling for referee Elizondo to punish Rooney and the Liverpudlian pushed his Red Devils team-mate in anger.

But Argentinian Elizondo has confirmed the fiery Rooney was dismissed for the original foul.

He told The Times: 'It was violent play and therefore he got a red card.
'People can say what they want (about Ronaldo) but this had absolutely no influence.

'In general I don't pay much attention to that sort of thing because I don't care about the pressure on my shoulders during a match.

'For me it was a clear red card, so I didn't react to the Portuguese players. There was pushing and shoving on both sides but for me it wasn't a reason to caution anybody.'

HOw about now, Regs???
Dude: the Crouch pic is for you. Pretty much sums the knob up:D

Attachments

• crouchron_g.jpg
    crouchron_g.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 72
  • roncomp_e.jpg
    roncomp_e.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 76

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Let's just disagree to disagree.

The red was for the push. The 'stomp' to the groin looks really bad because everyone is seeing it 100 times in super-slow-mo. Watch the ref as everything unfolds. The truth is in the yorkshire pudding.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
"I have no strings, to hold me down..."

Seriously, what a sideshow. Anybody know what he weighs? I'm guessing less than 190 lbs. Dap could take him down in a tackle.

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
Let's just disagree to disagree.

The red was for the push. The 'stomp' to the groin looks really bad because everyone is seeing it 100 times in super-slow-mo. Watch the ref as everything unfolds. The truth is in the yorkshire pudding.

After watching it again a bunch of times I now have to give some merit to Regs argument. Referee only reacts after the push. Up to that point everything relatively calm.

But that begs the question, where is the backlash from the England camp and press? That is the confusing and unexplained element. All i can come up with is that the referee was waiting for maximum dramatic effect before issuing the red for the stomp and leapt into action before he wanted to when the push came in.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A close up of the written statement in Becks hands...

Attachments

• _41837576_beckhamstatement203.jpg
    _41837576_beckhamstatement203.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 61
  • BEckhams speech.JPG
    BEckhams speech.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 89
Sep 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
LFC2 said:
Referee only reacts after the push. Up to that point everything relatively calm.

He reacted after the push because things were about to escalate. I still feel his mind was already made up. After the incident(stomp)all things were relatively calm, so there was no need for the ref to react. He only reacts when players start pushing, but had his mind made up long before-IMO. He had to. I thought the ref handled it well, and the english should stop defending Rooney, otherwise how the fcuk will he learn. The coach (now McCLaren) should have a quiet word with Rooney and say; look, if you do that again, you'll be dropped! (Unfortunately, I don't think McClaren has the bottle). Otherwise we'll end up with another Lee Bowyer on our side.

gomesy_jr

Aug 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For all of you who are saying the Portuguese are a bunch of cheating bastards, give me an f*&^in break! Sure, they do have some guys that dive on the team, and i'm one of the first people yelling "get up", but they are no worse than a lot of the teams at the World Cup.

Joe Cole even had a couple of bad dives during the game, so don't tell me that England never dives. And the whole Rooney red card thing, he stomped on the guys nuts!!! What did you expect the Carvalho to do? Stand up and walk it off right away? Give me a break.

And for all of you mad at Ronaldo, he didn't even do anything. Rooney pushed him twice lightly, and Ronaldo didn't even react, whereas some players would have fell to the ground after the first push which happened a lot in the Dutch/Portugal game. I am a fan of both the Netherlands and England, i actually took Netherlands to win it this year, but if you think Portugal had only made it this far through cheating, you're kidding yourself!

Forza Portugal!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. - Steven Cohen is a dumbass! has anyone else noticed that he gets almost all of his predictions wrong! But he is pretty funny.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts