Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bondra a Senator

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Peter Bondra has been traded to Ottawa for what amounts to a bag of pucks :rolleyes:

Does this put Ottawa in as the favorite in the East for the Cup now?

Why can't the Nucks ever seem to make these types of deals?!?!!?

~Regs.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard Burke on the way to work yesturday on NW saying he was never interestred in Bondra. Something to do with a 1,000,000 buy out or option, something like that, he will receive in July.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Bondra a Senator? Big Deal :rolleyes:

It doesn't bother us Leaf fans.

When the Sens got away from the European influence on the team, they started to worry us. Now their going back to it and that just makes us more and more sure of our chances. With Roenick out for the season and Belfour on the mend, all we need is for a sudden Confrence change that sees New Jersey switch Conferences with the Canucks and we can see us in the finals! :D

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hurry the fukc up is right. I do like the move to bolster our forward ranks with the acquisition of Peter Sarno. :rolleyes: If he waits until the trade deadline all that will be left to aquire will be the bag of pucks that the Caps just picked up.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Bondra a Senator? Big Deal :rolleyes:

DJones said:
It doesn't bother us Leaf fans.

When the Sens got away from the European influence on the team, they started to worry us. Now their going back to it and that just makes us more and more sure of our chances. With Roenick out for the season and Belfour on the mend, all we need is for a sudden Confrence change that sees New Jersey switch Conferences with the Canucks and we can see us in the finals!

Belfour on the mend? Resting all your hopes on a 39-year old netminder with a broken back (which happens to flare up when he is overworked) isn't exactly the kind of goaltending situation you want heading into the playoffs. Kidd has really looked impressive covering the starting job for the Eagle, giving up like 18 goals in four games.

This is a great move by the Sens. Depth is depth, it doesn't matter what nationality they bring aboard at this point. I can almost guarantee one of the following Leafs - Nolan, Nieuwendyk, Roberts, Tucker - will go down with another injury before the postseason starts. At this point, you Tronna fans would be glad to have any sort of adequate replacement (North American or European) to face New Jersey in the opening round.

amazing_hands

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bondra has been a stud for years and is a solid addition to any squad. As far as the Leafs winning anything, c'mon who you trying to fool yourself? :p Everybody knows the Leafs making the second round will be a big accomplishment for this squad

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
amazing_hands said:
Bondra has been a stud for years and is a solid addition to any squad.

The guy is a head case and a trouble maker in the dressing room. One of the reasons the Nucks have done so well the past few years, is the way they have come together as a team, with no egos in the dressing room. Good move by Burke to stay clear of this guy.
He will make a move, but is he going to get signed first, that is important to how he will act at the trade dead-line.

hos

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Belfour on the mend? Resting all your hopes on a 39-year old netminder with a broken back (which happens to flare up when he is overworked) isn't exactly the kind of goaltending situation you want heading into the playoffs. Kidd has really looked impressive covering the starting job for the Eagle, giving up like 18 goals in four games.

Comparing our 39 year old hasbeen to your goalie here in Vancouver who has never done it, will never do it and tends to let his team down in every playoff he's been involved in, I'll stay with Belfour every time! Hedberg is on par with Kidd, in my books, and I think Kidd is the sh#$s! Like Vancouver fans, I would also like to see the #1 guy in the minors step into the #2 slot but unlike Canuck fans, I doubt we'll see our #2 or #3 in any games down and in the playoff stretch.

This is a great move by the Sens. Depth is depth, it doesn't matter what nationality they bring aboard at this point. I can almost guarantee one of the following Leafs - Nolan, Nieuwendyk, Roberts, Tucker - will go down with another injury before the postseason starts. At this point, you Tronna fans would be glad to have any sort of adequate replacement (North American or European) to face New Jersey in the opening round.

Depth is nothing if it doesn't put up in the playoffs. Bondra has only done that once and he failed. I'll again take the injury prone Nolan, Nieuwendyk, Roberts or Tucker in a rough and tough playoff series than the problem Bondra. I'd even take Mogilny over Bondra in the playoffs. All of them play defense and see their own end. I can't say the same for Bondra. To think that Ray is their answer to team toughness is laughable. They should have gone out and gotten Walker rather than spend the money on Bondra.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hands of Stone said:
The guy is a head case and a trouble maker in the dressing room. One of the reasons the Nucks have done so well the past few years, is the way they have come together as a team, with no egos in the dressing room. Good move by Burke to stay clear of this guy.
He will make a move, but is he going to get signed first, that is important to how he will act at the trade dead-line.

hos

Where did you get your information that Bondra was a trouble maker in the dressing room. I dont know how long he was with the Capitals it seemed like a long fcukin time, but dont you think if he was a problem he would have been gone a long time ago? I think your making shite up again HOS but who knows, you could be right :rolleyes:

The funny thing about the rest of your post HOS is that if Bondra was traded to the Canucks you would be hailing it as the trade of the year and how the Canucks should be favorties for the cup, but since he is in Ottawa you so eagerly say how he shouldnt be wanted around here. He is a first class goal scorer and would compliment any line the nucks have and especially help out the power play.

You can't always wait to the deadline there Big guy to get deals done. Two big moves in the last day, with Bondra and Steve Sullivan getting moved and if the Canucks dont act soon the only thing they might be picking up at the deadline is a swift earful from Nick Kypreos.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jonesy,

Comparing Cloutier to Belfour in that context is moot. Give Cloutier another 11 years (when he'll be Belfour's age - 39) and see if he can equal the one Stanley Cup the Eagle has landed during his NHL career. If he hits that age without winning a Cup (and avoids drunken bribery charges to local police), then you can champion the Belfour-is-better-than-Cloutier campaign. Remember, Belfour won his first and only cup when he was 35 years old.

This Cherry-like Euro bashing is amusing, considering most of you fickle Leaf fans would each donate a gonad to pick up a legitimate #1 defenseman in Sergei Gonchar. He of the highly-skilled, somewhat soft in his own end school of Russian blueliners.

You're right about depth. It means fcuk all if it doesn't produce in the playoffs. This is something Nolan would be well equipped to discuss, especially after last year's performance against Philly. What killed Toronto last year was that the offense dried up after Sundin and Mogilny. Nolan, Renberg (post-Legion of Doom), Reichel and Antropov have been mediocre in their playoff careers, and they all stunk against the Flyers. Nieuwendyk is a warrior, but you saw last year that he's probably not physically capable of making a long cup run. So, yeah, depth is an issue.

Ottawa has had similar problems with guys no-showing in the playoffs, so they just added another scoring option at no cost. Bondra isn't going to be seeing the same type of shadow-marking in Ottawa that he would have in Washington, given the fact top defensive units have to be focussed with Alfredsson, Hossa, Bonk, Havlat, Spezza...etc etc.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sensei,

Comparing Cloutier to Belfour in that context is moot. Give Cloutier another 11 years (when he'll be Belfour's age - 39) and see if he can equal the one Stanley Cup the Eagle has landed during his NHL career. If he hits that age without winning a Cup (and avoids drunken bribery charges to local police), then you can champion the Belfour-is-better-than-Cloutier campaign. Remember, Belfour won his first and only cup when he was 35 years old.

Your right, there is no comparison. Apples and oranges. Belfour had carried the Blackhawks to the Stanley Cup finals at a younger age than Cloutier and had already won two Vezina's by this time. Give Cloutier another 11 years? I give him another two in this league - if there's a league in two years. Remember, Belfour HAS won a Stanley Cup and a finalist (again) for the Vezina at age 38! I'll settle for Belfour. Besides, a 39 yr. old Belfour is better than a 28 yr old Cloutier. A 28 yr old Belfour was better then a 28 yr old Cloutier - anyway you want to look at it.

This Cherry-like Euro bashing is amusing, considering most of you fickle Leaf fans would each donate a gonad to pick up a legitimate #1 defenseman in Sergei Gonchar. He of the highly-skilled, somewhat soft in his own end school of Russian blueliners.

Wrong. We'll stick with McCabe and Kaberle (having an offseason and all) and settle for anyone other than Berg in a trade. Bryan Allen would be a steal in a trade for this muppet and that isn't a "Euro-bash" like you want to call it. He's the sh#$s, can't skate well and isn't tough enough in front of the net. Oops! I did it again! I stated a fact and someone will see that as Euro-bashing. Enough already.

What killed Toronto last year was that the offense dried up after Sundin and Mogilny.

A team loses their top two scorers in the playoffs and their production drops off? Wouldn't that happen to any team? Depth is an issue but if you go into a physical series with "not so tough" players, it doesn't matter how much depth you have, you won't make it through too many rounds. Look at Minnesoda - offensively challenged but big on team toughness. New Jersey's another. IMHO, Ottawa obtained more fluff.

Aren't Ottawa struggling financially? At no cost sounds too good to be true. Problems with ice-time will become an issue as it is with other offensive teams.

hammerhead

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ottawa was strugging financially, then they got purchased by one Eugene Melnick ( sp ? ) who has more money than god. So, they are no longer in money trouble. Muckler thanked Melnick specifically when hew was talking about the Bondra trade in the press conference.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jonesy,

You lost me on the allusions to Aki Berg and Bryan Allen. Aki Berg is the shits (this isn't an Archie comic, you can spell out the swear words) because he is the shits. His name could be Alex Begbie from Sarnia and he'd still be a lousy hockey player. If I wanted to call that a Euro-bash, I could do it on my own, ya hear? So far, you've alluded to Europeans influence not working in the playoffs and Bondra being a "problem". The guy spent 14 fcuking years with the same organization, and was visibly shaken during interviews yesterday about leaving the team. How many problem players last that long in one city? Or show any sort of emotion about leaving town? And I think the Detroit dynasty of the last few years showed that utilizing several key European players (Holmstrom, Larionov, Lidstrom, Fedorov, Konstantinov, Kozlov) can be successful in the post-season. We can agree to disagree about the merits of European players, but that's about it. You stop Euro-bashing and I'll stop pointing it out. Insert smiley face here.

You stick with McCough and Kaberle (Russian for "defensive zone turnover") and see what happens. While you may oppose the Gonchar move, there are legions of Tronna fans who aren't so sure the Berehowsky trade is the one that solidifies the blueline. As much as I don't want to see Toronto excel in the playoffs, they'd be a vastly superior team with Gonchar. He'd bring a dimension they lack. But the more likely route is to enlist the services of a Boughner or Bombardir, who will add grit to a team that's already rougher than sandpaper.

Toronto lost their two top scorers in the playoffs last year? That's news to me. Mogilny played six of the seven games versus Philly and Sundin was in for all of them. They were also the only two guys to generate any offense against the Flyers. Maybe I'm missing something here. Toronto had all their weapons available for the last post-season (unless you thought Gilmour and Housley were going to make the difference) and they couldn't beat Philly. If the additions of Klee and Nieuwendyk are enough to get them over the hump, Fergie will go down as the greatest GM to serve in TO since 1967.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sensei,

Sorry for not getting back to you. Work and life, the wifes life, is getting in the way.

I miss read your post on the Sundin and Mogilny thing. I will say that two years ago, they lost Sundin and Mogilny for stretches of the playoffs and still made it to the semi-finals vs. the Hurricanes. They even had Hogland in the line up. Again, not a Euro bash :rolleyes:.

Last year they struggled because they could match Philly for speed and toughness. I do believe that playoff toughness and production goes hand in hand, for the most part.

With Varada going down with an injury, to me, the Senators will need someone to replace him. Ray or Neil are not the guy and they don't want Chara doing that job. Bondra gives them more of what they already have and less of what they really need.

Gonchar is a good offensive defenseman but I'd rather have a strong defensive defenseman (Souray, Stevens, Boughner, anybody but Berehowsky) to shore up the back and counter that offensive production with strong defense. I don't think Belak is the guy.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts