Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bob Goodenow Quits

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Everyday it seems there is big news related to the NHL... this is awesome (the frequency, not Goodenow quitting) :D

I wish Bettman would do the same.

:D

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
... this is awesome (the frequency, not Goodenow quitting) :D

I wish Bettman would do the same.

:D

did your compu college online profesor teach you that one? Goodenow sure proved to the NHLPA and the NHL who's the boss :rolleyes: !!
"UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE WILL OUR PLAYERS EVER PLAY UNDER A SALARY CAP"..........sound familiar??????

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Personally I think Goodenow did a great job over the years and I think every NHL player would tell you the same. he said it would take from 18 months to 2.5 years to get the deal they wanted. The players started caving after a season going to the media, not willing to stay together. He said what it would take but the players were not willing to stick with it,understandable who wants to sit out for 2 years, but if you are not willing to stick with it why were all the players saying they would never have a cap. I think Goodenow has become a scape goat, I hope if you hate Goodenow you are willing to hate trevor Linden because he was a huge part of it too. but most of you don't know what the **** your talking about and just retort what was in the paper anyway.

P.S walls " I did not have sexual relations with that women" sound familiar you say what you got to say at the time. They were trying to get the deal they wanted how many other players were saying there would never be a cap but hey it's all goodenows fault he probably short arms his passes too.

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
holy shite 'jive, get your tongue out of goodenows asshole already! if he did not say that then go ahead and lash me but i think i got you on this one. just because you are so much more well informed than everyone else on TTP in basically every single topic that is ever in discussion doesn't mean you should pick on us that don't have the pleasure of swallowing goodenows farts before he swallows his words, and pride to the media and the association he represents!!! i'm sure you feel it was a good choice to bail on the people that payed his hefty salary for the past 12 years without giving them any notice or finding a replacement at such a key time in hockeys(professional sports) history. maybe the papers were lying then too and he didn't resign hey??

PS- if either of you panokake eatin, wooden shoe wearin, orange kit sportin :knvb: sons of biatches think you know more about football than me then bring the ruckus anytime. you'll go down quicker than the NHLPA in a heated labour dispute with goodenow as your honcho.

PSS- i still love ya bulljive, just call out someone who doesn't have your back nextime. :D

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
bullshite said:
P.S walls " I did not have sexual relations with that women" sound familiar ........

honestly guy, there's no need to outright lie on here. you know better than almost anyone frequenting this spot that i'd never say that. i know i'm the pres in your eyes, but i'm no bill clinton. i smoke every day and never EXHALE:D !!

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
walls just because you sent me a lovely PM, which btw, I'll be making the hallmark moment of my Christmas card come this festivis, doesn't mean you can say completely random and frankly very retarded things at will.
just because you are so much more well informed than everyone else on TTP in basically every single topic that is ever in discussion
If you didn't lack the capacity or motor skills for that matter, I would think you were taking the piss. Sadly we know you're not. Actually, I'm going to apologize to the handicapped for the comparison, even they don't say things this stupid.

Bob was done the minute the players didn't back him on not taking the cap.

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
first name basis???
let me guess, you shake off his gary bettman after "bob" tinkles in the morning :D !!!

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
.... which btw, I'll be making the hallmark moment of my Christmas card come this festivis, doesn't mean you can say completely random and frankly very retarded things at will. If you didn't lack the capacity or motor skills for that matter, I would think you were taking the piss. .
nice try spark plug :knvb: , but you can't celebrate both. old man costanza would not impressed and would most likely preform some feats of amazing strengths on you for that!!
now perch your loose ass back on your festivis pole.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How long and how many times do you analyze a post directed at you Walls?

Collect your thoughts in one go and be done!

:rolleyes:

walls

Feb 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
nice to see you're off your prognosis "negative" kick today :D . not only is it more than one word, but its a fcukin two liner!!!! well done Deaner!!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll wait 30 minutes for the follow-up when you actually do answer the fcuking questions posed to you.

:rolleyes:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuking nipple.

Goodenow caps career with union

By IRA PODELL, TTP Sports Writer
July 29, 2005

In the end, it was all about timing for Bob Goodenow.

Or so he said.

If only NHL players had stuck together a little longer, maybe six months, maybe another year, they could've gotten the deal they wanted. The one without a salary cap -- the one Goodenow promised.

But it wasn't to be.

Goodenow, the NHL Players' Association's executive director, stepped down from his post Thursday just one week after the union overwhelmingly approved the deal that went against everything he stood for.

``I don't believe it's a failure at all,'' Goodenow said lying through his teeth. ``I think the agreement is different and history will tell.''

Ted Saskin, Goodenow's right-hand man and the union's chief negotiator, moved right into the top spot before the body was even cold Thursday. No one has been chosen to fill Saskin's former position of senior director but it's expect another joke of a lottery will be held to find who gets his parking space.

``Ted clearly knows the office, knows the operation, so it was smooth. There would be no cumbersome handoff,'' Goodenow said.

The lockout strengthened the league's owners and caused cracks in the union's rank and file. A season was lost, paychecks were discarded, and the players' association went looking for a deal -- any deal to get back on the ice the pussies.

The solution, they were told, was simple. Accept a salary cap and link it to league revenues, drop your drawers and bend over and you'll be welcomed back in no time.

They took the deal to end the lockout. The 2005-06 season was launched and Goodenow was all but jettisoned from his perch.

``No regrets whatsoever,'' Goodenow said still counting his remaing 7 million dollar contract no doubt``I haven't really given any thought as to what is next for me. I'm going to take some time and relax a little bit and think about the future. But I have no plans other than to drop my nuts on walls.''

Oh, but he had many as he geared up for the fight for which he will be most remembered.

He told players before the 310-day lockout to be prepared to sit out for a year -- maybe even two -- if they were committed to hanging on to the marketplace landscape they enjoyed for many years. The one NHL commissioner Gary Bettman claimed bled money from the league.

``It was so easy before anything started out to say that it was going to take 18 months or a couple of years,'' Philadelphia forward Sami Kapanen said. ``But once you get into it and see how much you miss playing and how much the game is suffering, something needed to be done.''

By February, things started to fall apart. Goodenow dug in his heels as the season slipped away -- even after the union said OK to a cap two days before Bettman pulled the plug on the hockey year.

``I have always respected Bob's tenacity, passion and professionalism, and I wish him well in his future endeavors. We congratulate Ted and look forward to working with him,'' Bettman said while trying to contain his laughter.

Goodenow led the union through its most profitable years when salaries rose from an average of $271,000 in the early 1990's to $1.8 million before the lockout.

``Every NHL player has benefited enormously from Bob's leadership and dedication and look where that got him. He has been a tireless advocate for the players and he dramatically improved the players' situation in every respect,'' said union president Trevor Linden, a 16-year veteran.

Maybe Goodenow underestimated the resolve of the owners, who built a $300 million war chest years in advance of this labor battle. But worst of all, he might've overestimated the stick-to-it nature of the 700-plus players he represented.

``We had planning leading into the negotiations and there was discussion about horizons and timeframes, etc., where things might take place,'' Goodenow said. ``It's a moving, tumbling dynamic. ... Now all of a sudden a season is down and we're looking at a different horizon.''

Instead of being a peaceful sunset, it became the end of the road for Goodenow. At least they weren't being dramatic...

He sat alongside his adversary Bettman a week before departing and said he was on board with this deal and had no intention of leaving.

What changed in the course of seven days isn't exactly known it was probably all the laughing and stick poking from the NHL and its owners but Goodenow insisted that the decision to leave was his, and this time became the right time.

Goodenow still had a few years left on his contract, a deal he said would be his last as the union's top man. And since it would expire before the next labor go-around, there really was no point in sticking around any longer to try to work with the NHL under a system that was so distasteful to him.

``It was really a function of timing,'' he said. ``I agreed that it was as good a time as any. When it feels good and looks good then go ahead and do it. We just accelerated the process that would've been in place in any event.''

Goodenow met with the union's executive committee to discuss the future. When the talks were over it was clear he wasn't going to be a part of it.

Many players were unhappy that last season slipped away and they were still left with a salary-cap system, one that cut existing contracts by 24 percent, too.

``This new collective agreement is very different,'' Goodenow said. ``I believe this agreement can and will work well for both sides.''

Just without him.

Associated Press Writer Randy Pennell in Philadelphia & knvb in Surrey contributed to this report.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0