Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bob Birarda done as Womens Whitecaps/ CSA Womens U-20 Gaffer

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I do wonder what the long term effect will be on coaches and coaching methods. I'm pretty much on record as being in belief / support of the women here, but overall, there will be a point where simply being a tough coach that is demanding on performance in training and games gets labelled as "emotionally abusive".

If you make a player cry due to simply being demanding, are you now abusive? Very slippery slope.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Dude

That's what I was thinking and why I said there must be more to her story or something.
Exactly. It's a slippery slope. I'm all in favor of uncovering the truth and punishing's with a heavy hand, from all angles (I'd love to see a forced sale of WFC, given now 4 serious sexual abuse allegations under the club's MLS era or slightly before, all under Kerfoot), but at the same time, we can't take the teeth out of coaching.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

I find generalized character assassination attempts while someone is facing unrelated criminal charges unseemly. At minimum, were I counsel for BB I'd be considering a change of venue application if I were wanting a jury. To the extent BB referenced opportunities with the national team, he has a lot of company from other coaches on both the mens and womens sides and the nuance of those conversations would determine whether it was offside or just good advice.

There are countries that require their players to pay off certain fixers in order to be selected for the national camp; this to me is well, well short of that...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
MLS hired these guys; good luck Whitecaps lol...

When I saw this, my first reaction was, if I were any of those named executives, I'd simply hand in my resignation. Sell my house. Move to the Baja, take up fishing, sell tacos for a living. Lose my phone, laptop, and drink heavily till the light calls me in.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am loathe to suggest bias on the part of fellow members of the bar, but there certainly appears to be a slant to the work they take on...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

So is Leroux still to be viewed as a traitor? Or a refugee escaping persecution?

Some of the more interesting reads in the article:

“Busby let [Sydney] do whatever she wanted to do,” Leroux says. “Sydney was going through a break up at the time and he let her leave and go to the States to do whatever she needed to do. I heard about what happened with him, though, and it is a shame.”

A Concacaf spokesperson said Montagliani had no direct oversight of the Canada national teams at the time of the alleged events involving Birarda despite being a vice-president, national teams, of Canada Soccer when they occurred. According to the spokesperson, Montagliani’s role dealt with fiduciary oversight, and he was not aware of any of the bullying allegations mentioned by Sandi Leroux. Concacaf and Montagliani have said they welcome a review into the 2008 investigation of Birarda. Montagliani is also a vice-president of Fifa.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

So is Leroux still to be viewed as a traitor? Or a refugee escaping persecution?

Some of the more interesting reads in the article:
A 2-hour drive to his pay-to-play academy? Unless they lived in Chilliwack/Hope, where would a home be located to take 2 hours to get to Richmond?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
"Montagliani and the Lenarduzzis, whose fathers were friends, grew up together in East Vancouver and played on the same teams - even as adults."

I hate this shite when journalists go off on tangents somehow to create further controversy. The above quote implies they played together in youth. Considering Bob is 10 years older and Dan is 6 years older, how the fcuk is that possible?

This whole article is garbage.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
A 2-hour drive to his pay-to-play academy? Unless they lived in Chilliwack/Hope, where would a home be located to take 2 hours to get to Richmond?

Yeah, a lot of the quotes from Sandi make me question her credibility. It would be a lot more interesting to hear directly from Sydney

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sydney Leroux was dating Brett Lawrie at the time I believe... also, interesting factoid, her father is Ray Chadwick, who played for the AAA Canadians when they were affiliated with the Chicago White Sox... he later returned and was coaching the TRU baseball team a few years ago - no idea what he's doing now...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I dunno....when Sydney was doing well w/ the USWNT, and they were winning Gold Medals, both were fairly outspoken about their negative experiences w/ the CSA. Can't recall the exact details, but their grievances seemed at the time to focus around bullying, and their claims of discrimination, and...she was a good player who had options. She explored her options to move. I suspect if all were peachy she would not have moved. I didn't get the impression at the time that it was purely about opportunism. At the same time, players usually make a move like this when they feel they have been hard-done by, in whatever way.

Her mom is definitely a vocal, squeaky wheel. If I remember correctly, her grievance was racial discrimination, and not just with officials, but within the community. I find that odd....if you've ever been involved with Surrey United, you know that racial diversity is obvious. Same if you look at the CNWT roster. About the only coincidence seems to be that it all happened around the same timeline. At the time, it seemed that this was a family that didn't like the direction of CSA as it related to them personally, and looked at their other option, which paned out. End of story. Oh, and there were a bunch of asshats that took the move a bit too personally but whatever, that's just noise.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, and again, fairly typical for a historical case such as this. Disclosure often comes in fits and starts, and what the police think is relevant is often very different than was defense counsel thinks is relevant.

Bill Smart was a Supreme Court Justice, and having retired from that has returned to private practice. He's top shelf counsel who defended Malik on Air India before his appointment to the bench.

He will get a wide berth from any provincial court judge if he says he needs more time to properly defend his client...

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The system is broken.

charged Dec. 10 '20; sorry but this is completely normal. in fact, I'd expect it to drag on a lot further - espiecally if disclosure isn't to his lawyer's satisfaction. These are historical allegations and it's impossible to assess the strength of the case and give your client good advice about what to do unless and until disclosure is at least mostly complete.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
sorry but this is completely normal
But should it be normal? I mean I know what you said explaining and that makes sense, but really... there should/must be a better way? If disclosure is an issue, can't the judge rattle some cages at least?

Judge Judy GIF by Lifetime Telly

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts