Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bob Birarda done as Womens Whitecaps/ CSA Womens U-20 Gaffer

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
What I find amusing is that every one of you fine folks alleging malfeasance on the part of the BCSPL has a slightly different version of what exactly happened to Bob Birarda, what his exact situation was, who knew it and / or ought to have known it, at the time of his hire into the league.

You know what that tells me?

You're all talking out of your ass.

Shhhhhhhhhh...........

Coastal was informed by an employee of Whitecaps not to hire Birarda. BCSPL not responsible for Coastal's decision with respect to that as they didn't know that call was made, presumably.

BCSPL knew he was fired. The CSA's release and the reporting made that very clear.

CSA is ultimately responsible for not taking stronger steps, as are the Whitecaps. More responsible than BCSPL. Coastal, whoever received the call that is, is also responsible.

But, that level of the soccer circle is small - you will never convince me people in BCSPL didn't know what was going on and why he was fired. Maybe you personally didn't, but others did no doubt.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Again, abdicating. It was your place to pry. If anyone needs to be better it's those who were in a position to look into it. Any threat or risk to children must be taken very seriously regardless of the vagueness of the innuendo.

So it's my job as a member of the BOG to engage in a witch-hunt, based on absolutely fcuk all in the way of evidence, into the hiring practices of a rival club, in a context where the hiring of coaches within the league is a rather competitive marketplace. Got it.

I haven't even begun to sharpen my tongue with respect to the weaknesses in the allegations as they currently exist in the public sphere. I could be days raising questions and concerns with the multitude of points Ciara raised in her novel. And that's with genuinely knowing next to nothing about what actually went on; imagine what someone who had a knowledge base could do.

I'm not threatening anything because I don't lose sleep over words emanating from rectums. We all had a fiduciary duty to protect the boys and girls in our league. Rest assured I dealt with my share of issues within my own club.

I'm curious why you don't seem to believe that I received zero information about BB while sitting on the BOG, but it's the truth. Can't act on a nothing.

okanaganfootie

May 6, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who at Coastal, and who at the Whitecaps. Either provide details or stop making bald assertions. Pick your ride.

The media from what I remember said that Diane Voice, the Whitecaps Manager, called Tsawwassen (The first club to hire him after Canada Soccer/Whitecaps firing ?) to warn them, and Jack Reddy a former coach (?) said he brought the coach and his firing up at a Coastal Board Meeting.

I remember also reading (maybe hearing on the radio?) that the current Executive Director of Coastal was working for the Whitecaps in 2008. The report that was just released said that the Whitecaps in 2008 was a much smaller organization, so I find it hard to believe, along with other parents I have spoken to, that no one knew anything, or at least wouldn't have made some phone calls to look a bit deeper. As other people have said, he went from coaching a national team in the same city and suddenly losing his job to wanting to coach a rec team. There's a serious problem with hiring protocol that needs to be examined if that didn't raise red flags for anyone, even if they didn't know anything about the situation.

Your cutting remarks towards the player that originally brought forward the blog is curious to me. Maybe if it was just one player saying things, but the examples brought forward by the 13 or 14 U20 National Team players were horrifying. With those kind of numbers, I'm firmly on the players side. What do any of them have to gain by coming forward and making something up in such large numbers, especially so long after the fact?

Regardless, as a parent with kids in the system, I have to say I am grateful for the publicity and awareness of all the holes in the system and to be vigilant with my kids and their safety moving forward. All of this has been incredibly eye-opening.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
perhaps it wasn’t so shocking he went to HPL team, as from what I am aware, his daughter played on that team. So like many fathers, he wanted to coach his daughters team.
I can see how the question didn’t arise, “why would he want to coach here and at this level?”.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
perhaps it wasn’t so shocking he went to HPL team, as from what I am aware, his daughter played on that team. So like many fathers, he wanted to coach his daughters team.
I can see how the question didn’t arise, “why would he want to coach here and at this level?”.

His daughter's team was his second run through.

He'd already taken a team from u13-u18 previously, starting with them at Tsawwassen when a parent decided to shell out the cash to hire him, and then having him and the full squad move over to Coastal with the advent of bcspl. There may have been a year or two overlap where he ran 2 teams, or maybe the timing just worked perfectly for the first team to graduate just as his daughter hit bcspl age.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The media from what I remember said that Diane Voice, the Whitecaps Manager, called Tsawwassen (The first club to hire him after Canada Soccer/Whitecaps firing ?) to warn them, and Jack Reddy a former coach (?) said he brought the coach and his firing up at a Coastal Board Meeting.

I remember also reading (maybe hearing on the radio?) that the current Executive Director of Coastal was working for the Whitecaps in 2008. The report that was just released said that the Whitecaps in 2008 was a much smaller organization, so I find it hard to believe, along with other parents I have spoken to, that no one knew anything, or at least wouldn't have made some phone calls to look a bit deeper. As other people have said, he went from coaching a national team in the same city and suddenly losing his job to wanting to coach a rec team. There's a serious problem with hiring protocol that needs to be examined if that didn't raise red flags for anyone, even if they didn't know anything about the situation.

Your cutting remarks towards the player that originally brought forward the blog is curious to me. Maybe if it was just one player saying things, but the examples brought forward by the 13 or 14 U20 National Team players were horrifying. With those kind of numbers, I'm firmly on the players side. What do any of them have to gain by coming forward and making something up in such large numbers, especially so long after the fact?

Regardless, as a parent with kids in the system, I have to say I am grateful for the publicity and awareness of all the holes in the system and to be vigilant with my kids and their safety moving forward. All of this has been incredibly eye-opening.

Two related comments in response to yours:

1) Just because there are more allegations doesn't make any specific allegation more credible or reliable. That's a logical fallacy. Sure, if a bunch of people who don't know each other are all singing from exactly the same page of some obscure hymn book, then yeah, it starts to have some persuasive value. That's called "similar fact" evidence. But, the standard to rely on that type of evidence - especially when you're using one allegation to bootstrap another allegation (as distinct from a previous conviction for the exact same type of act) is appropriately high.

2) A bushel full of hearsay is not what I was looking for when I asked "who at Coastal and who at the Whitecaps". I am completely unmoved by what the media said or what you heard on the radio. To be clear, I'm not trying to be dismissive of you, but rather the value of the "evidence" you've offered.

Anyway, dezza reminded me that he actually went from the Caps to another club first. In effect, his baggage was effectively laundered - at least partially - by the indirect route he took to Coastal...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Under the terms of his bail, as imposed by Judge Smith, Birarda is to report to a bail supervisor and provide them with an address and phone number, which he may not change without permission. He is required to keep the peace and be of good behaviour and not possess any weapons or firearms.

He is not have any contact with four specific individuals, nor is to attend any place of work, school or where the individuals worship — and if he happens to see them, he must leave.

He can’t attend public parks, public swimming areas, community centres, theatres or soccer fields where persons under the age of 18 are present. There are some exceptions to that condition, where there is prior written permission from the bail supervisor. He can also be in those locations in the immediate presence of another adult approved of in advance by the bail supervisor.

He’s not to have any contact or communication, directly or indirectly, or be in the presence of any person under the age of 18 years, except with the previous exceptions.

He must not engage in coaching or related activities, volunteer work or employment that could bring him in contact with persons under the age of 18.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
He gets his day in court. If he's found innocent then he can demand apologies. If he's found guilty, then lock him up and throw away the key to his cell in solitary confinement. Maybe I'm overly sensitive having watched Trump abuse his position for so many years causing so much suffering. This has been bad all around.

Spankmemanky

Apr 18, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
It comes down to due diligence...& I think we can all agree that it was not done in a manner which is expected of a sport that supposedly prioritizes safety.
Blind eyes were averted all over the place.... started with Bobbo and the WC blind mice and flowed from there... twas a Stevie Wonder convention ffs.

next we have big Vic at the CSA.... absolute joke.... protecting his Italian Bobby brethren....not so much as a note on his coaching file...and this guy now is Vice President of FIFA.... what the fcukity???
Apparently doing fcuk all is the way to the top in world football.

I would hope that a lawsuit comes down shortly where the court orders an investigation that the WC, BCSA and CSA can’t interfere with.

soccer in this country is run by the same unethical dipshits that run US GYMNASTICS And the Catholic Church....zero oversight or accountability for volunteers

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure if the timeline matches with Big Vic at the CSA?

I think he was CSA Prez from 2012-2016?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
One of the things I've learned about being an employer: don't keep the brilliant assholes around.

Every once in a while, you hire someone who actually is really good at the job they were hired for, but they are assholes. Either they treat their fellow workmates in a condescending way, or they go out and get bombed on the weekend and come in hungover, or they exhibit other destructive behavior that affects the company in a negative way, but you keep looking past it because they are really good at the function they were hired for.

It's pretty evident that Bob was at the very least a brilliant asshole, and too many people in power overlooked what an asshole he was because he is a great coach.

Spankmemanky

Apr 18, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure if the timeline matches with Big Vic at the CSA?

I think he was CSA Prez from 2012-2016?
Montagliani was president of Canada Soccer from 2012 to 2017, and was vice president at the time of the 2008 allegations with specific responsibility for national teams.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did everyone remember Matt Sekeres and his interview of Ciara last year? The walk-outs that occurred and the broadcast crew being muffled from discussing it? I'm sure it was directed, not out of choice.

The interview was the one that really pissed me off. What a cnut, seriously. Also a coward. They call themselves impartial, take pride in journalistic integrity, while at the same time Matt cuddles up to the likes of Lenarduzi and Vic in interviews, and is a condescending twat to Ciara in hers.

I really hope she takes down the whole house of cards at this point.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts