Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bob Birarda done as Womens Whitecaps/ CSA Womens U-20 Gaffer

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can tell you with certainty that the BCSPL BOG did not know, because I was on it...

So assuming this is true, and I believe you, how can this report and the Caps claim there was no cover-up? One doesn’t go in hand with the other. This community is small enough that there would have been some ripples in the pond. If in fact BCSA didn’t know, it would have been at considerable effort to keep it quiet.

I’ve read the Caps felt they had no jurisdiction to blow the whistle on this guy. Really? Because I would think considering the conditions it could be argued they in fact did have an ethical obligation to report the ciscumsrances of his dismissal to BC Soccer.

Again, @mtkb, just looking for a legal comment more than anything....had they in fact reported him on, would they have been exposing themselves to liability or lawsuit?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Because I actually don't know anything - especially because I was boys side coaching exclusively - I can only guess.

My guess? They paid him to fcuk off and there was either mutual non-disclosure clause or a clause that bound the Whitecaps to silence.

I doubt they investigated all that thoroughly, but then again I have some concerns about the reliability of the full thrust of the allegations as well.

So they'd have been in breach of that agreement had they yapped. The agreement may or may not have set out the punishment for breaching the agreement If it didn't, BB could still sue them for breach of contract.

Don't you just love lawyers?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
LOL, no doubt. I can see that being a pretty solid guess. If one day the world decides to do the right thing and sink all the lawyers to the bottom of the sea, I hope they spare you. And mine, who is really hot.

I still don't buy the line "There was no cover-up", but I could possibly buy the idea that they could have signed an NDA that would in effect fcuk them one way or another. What I don't understand is why they would have- hypothetically speaking- be tempted to put themselves in that position in the first place. I know terminating people with cause these days is a total minefield for employers, but in this case, I fail to see how this is anything but with cause.

Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose, and I suppose, which we have the benefit of.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's tough if player x - who may or may not be disgruntled about peaking at "good but not quite good enough" - says something happened, the coach says no it didn't, and they don't have any actionable intel that tips the balance either way...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's tough if player x - who may or may not be disgruntled about peaking at "good but not quite good enough" - says something happened, the coach says no it didn't, and they don't have any actionable intel that tips the balance either way...

...and that is exactly what a lawyer would say...but appreciate the honest feedback.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes. And you know as well as I do that intimidation and power tactics can also keep the truly damaging stories from coming to light. I don’t think I need to go over this with you, and how specifically abuse of power by men over women has lead to injustices against women basically forever, and it’s only recent generations of brave women who have started to shed a light on this ugly piece of our humanity.

Try not clouding something simple with Lawyer Speak for a change, FFS. These girls were at the very least victims of abuse of power, they were given a shite deal in a shite situation. Fcuk the Caps and their bullshit biased investigative firm, fcuk their mouthpiece Matt Sekeres, and please tie a brick to the feet of all lawyers, who seek to cloud a situation like this with billing hours and legalese, and toss them over the Port Mann.

Otherwise, Merry Christmas!

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can tell you with certainty that the BCSPL BOG did not know, because I was on it...

Abdicating responsibility. BCSPL is responsible for ensuring it's clubs are completing due diligence. Also, there is zero chance BCSPL BOG was unaware this guy was fired from Canada Soccer - and since, assuming, they were aware he was fired they should have been doing their own background checks and reference checks before this guy was allowed to coach in the league.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes. And you know as well as I do that intimidation and power tactics can also keep the truly damaging stories from coming to light. I don’t think I need to go over this with you, and how specifically abuse of power by men over women has lead to injustices against women basically forever, and it’s only recent generations of brave women who have started to shed a light on this ugly piece of our humanity.

Try not clouding something simple with Lawyer Speak for a change, FFS. These girls were at the very least victims of abuse of power, they were given a shite deal in a shite situation. Fcuk the Caps and their bullshit biased investigative firm, fcuk their mouthpiece Matt Sekeres, and please tie a brick to the feet of all lawyers, who seek to cloud a situation like this with billing hours and legalese, and toss them over the Port Mann.

Otherwise, Merry Christmas!

Thanks, Dude!!

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can state with 100% fact people outside BCSPL knew the reason/rumours. There's no chance no one in BCSPL knew of the rumours (to clarify, I only heard from people who "knew the rumours" back then, after the released info by McCormack). Also, BCSPL knew he was fired - it was nationally published info. They had a responsibility to look into why, not leave it to Coastal alone.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ignorant question... Is there currently a process in place where bcspl have to review and approve every coaching hire made my a member club?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Abdicating responsibility. BCSPL is responsible for ensuring it's clubs are completing due diligence. Also, there is zero chance BCSPL BOG was unaware this guy was fired from Canada Soccer - and since, assuming, they were aware he was fired they should have been doing their own background checks and reference checks before this guy was allowed to coach in the league.

unless you're one of the other people who was around that table at that time, I'd suggest you be careful with your accusations. the mere fact of the coach in question being hired by a BCSPL club was mentioned only once, and in off-hand innuendo. that's it.

others around the table may have known more. can't tell you because I didn't know more, it wasn't my place to pry, and it was never directly discussed.

in any event, we also don't know what investigating was done, by whom, when, and what if anything it revealed. if, for instance, all previous employers clammed up then what is the hiring BCSPL club to do? tell him that despite his technical over qualifications and interest in a position that he's not being hired because they've heard "things"?

Accusing us of abdicating responsibility is offside. Be better.

peg leg

Mar 22, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
unless you're one of the other people who was around that table at that time, I'd suggest you be careful with your accusations. the mere fact of the coach in question being hired by a BCSPL club was mentioned only once, and in off-hand innuendo. that's it.

others around the table may have known more. can't tell you because I didn't know more, it wasn't my place to pry, and it was never directly discussed.

in any event, we also don't know what investigating was done, by whom, when, and what if anything it revealed. if, for instance, all previous employers clammed up then what is the hiring BCSPL club to do? tell him that despite his technical over qualifications and interest in a position that he's not being hired because they've heard "things"?

Are you serious??? Coach is fired off of a successful national team 3 weeks prior to a major competition and the guy is sniffing around to coach a rec team, I would sure raise questions. To me that smells rotten. If I'm hiring at my bank and a top accountant is looking for a janitor job, that would ring alarm bells for me.

This is a systemic problem. It is a bunch of old boys protecting other old boys.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are you serious??? Coach is fired off of a successful national team 3 weeks prior to a major competition and the guy is sniffing around to coach a rec team, I would sure raise questions. To me that smells rotten. If I'm hiring at my bank and a top accountant is looking for a janitor job, that would ring alarm bells for me.

This is a systemic problem. It is a bunch of old boys protecting other old boys.

What I find amusing is that every one of you fine folks alleging malfeasance on the part of the BCSPL has a slightly different version of what exactly happened to Bob Birarda, what his exact situation was, who knew it and / or ought to have known it, at the time of his hire into the league.

You know what that tells me?

You're all talking out of your ass.

Shhhhhhhhhh...........

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

@mtkb , come on now, the above post is the single most poignant made in this whole debate (at least here on TTP).

This- "unless you're one of the other people who was around that table at that time, I'd suggest you be careful with your accusations."- is as lawyerly and threatening a statement as I've ever read.

This- "Accusing us of abdicating responsibility is offside. Be better."- is actually even more offside.

An easier thing to say would simply have been, "We were naive at the time and didn't think of it.", because that's what it amounts to. FFS, as @peg leg pointed out, he was a National TEAM coach fired three weeks prior to a major event, from an otherwise successful squad! If you don't ask the obvious question, which is WHY, then your head is in the sand.

BTW, now to cover my ass, this is not an accusation, so keep your big legal finger pointed elsewhere, it's just an obvious statement.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

I will share my thoughts on this very important topic, and not hold back. This mess happened because people are holding back. It was national news. Anyone who read the article knew he was fired - I recall reading the article, as a dumb kid, and knew he was fired. BCSPL had a responsibility to look into it. And even if there was only an "off hand innuendo" this also has to be looked into as we're talking about children.

Again, abdicating. It was your place to pry. If anyone needs to be better it's those who were in a position to look into it. Any threat or risk to children must be taken very seriously regardless of the vagueness of the innuendo.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts