Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bob Birarda done as Womens Whitecaps/ CSA Womens U-20 Gaffer

Spankmemanky

Apr 18, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did everyone remember Matt Sekeres and his interview of Ciara last year? The walk-outs that occurred and the broadcast crew being muffled from discussing it? I'm sure it was directed, not out of choice.

The interview was the one that really pissed me off. What a cnut, seriously. Also a coward. They call themselves impartial, take pride in journalistic integrity, while at the same time Matt cuddles up to the likes of Lenarduzi and Vic in interviews, and is a condescending twat to Ciara in hers.

I really hope she takes down the whole house of cards at this point.
This is the end of the fcuktards and the beginning of something that will transform us to a higher standard on and off the pitch.

#noroomonthepitch4fencesitters

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Like WTF?

that's quite common, especially in a historical case like this. disclosure will be a bitch because you're trying to track down relevant information from a variety of sources, the police may still be in the process of finding and/or interviewing witnesses, and the crown may be contemplating laying more charges as more information comes to light. also, because of relatively recent amendments to the Criminal Code, the complainants have to be consulted in a more fulsome way than was required before. and finally, there may be resolution negotiations ongoing at the same time as all of the above.

all of this can bog cases down at the pre-arraignment stage. there is, however, recent law from the SCC that told the entire legal profession to get a fcuknig move on with criminal cases, and set fairly hard deadlines for cases to make it from charge to trial - absent unique circumstances. So unless his lawyer is "waiving delay" as they kick the ball cautiously down the field, a judge at some point is going to tell them to get the show on the road...

to be clear, i have no involvement in the case nor do i know who the assigned prosecutor or defense lawyer is.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Has to be frustrating for the accusers, but "getting it right" is super important here. Especially if more evidence continues to get uncovered.

The walls seems to be closing in on him, though.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is this for real? I'm reading it and it sounds like the exact same thing reported previously with Birada and the flying in / hotel mixup story?
WTF?

Was this cultural within the organization at the time? Did the coaches view the Women's team as their personal dating pool? Jesus, even in 2010, you know there are lines that can never be crossed. This isn't just dipping you pen in company ink, it's way beyond that.

When is the MLS going to force Cap's ownership to unload the club?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is this for real? I'm reading it and it sounds like the exact same thing reported previously with Birada and the flying in / hotel mixup story?
The hotel story was always about Busby. Ciara just threw that into her Birarda blog post to highlight how systemic the rot was in the Whitecaps org. She clearly said it was a coach that came after BB was removed

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
the problem with all these stories is the immediate thought after allegations is to protect themselves. Protect the business, the brand not the human or humans this has happened to. This was brought up at my sons soccer club in an AGM. Needless to say you could really feel that still nothing is really in place. They govern themselves. First thought is always can we handle this in house. This story coming out is a nightmare. So they protect themselves instead of doing what we are supposed to do.

It’s easy to say we would all do the right thing. But would you if it destroyed your business, your name. Clearly a lot of people make the selfish decision instead of what’s right. More still needs to be in place at all levels so people only have one option and that’s the right one.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It’s easy to say we would all do the right thing. But would you if it destroyed your business, your name. Clearly a lot of people make the selfish decision instead of what’s right. More still needs to be in place at all levels so people only have one option and that’s the right one.

The first answer is that you should never put yourself in a position where your mistakes can destroy you from a PR point of view. Leadership flows from the tip of the spear; I don't know how Kerfoot behaves in private. Frankly, don't know how Bobo, Anderson, and Lewis do or did, but what we know now that is out there publicly is that these characters, at the very least, behaved in a way where protection of company meant destruction of humans.

A business, in it's day-to-day operation, is prone to making human errors, big and small. That's the catch. Our company is no different, we all make errors, but we also set an expectation about our ethics. Was this missed here? I don't know. Personally, I always, always advise, if we are in the wrong, admit wrong, fast, and work on repairing the mistakes. These issues w/ the Cap's are not mistakes, they are unforgiveable actions that should have resulted in immediate termination, and (IMO), getting out in front of the problem, right away. In this business, being very public, it should have meant getting in front of the press, with the accusers, standing side-by-side and taking responsibility, then making it right.

So my answer is, yes, because I feel that doing the right thing is the thing that actually saves your business, not destroys it. It's the actions they took that are destroying it right now.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
There's a lot about this that is troubling.

The power imbalance makes any sexual contact non-consensual in law - full stop. Report it to the police and then it takes it out of the club's hands in terms of sweeping it under the rug. It also gives Busby or whoever an opportunity to defend themselves from the allegation contemporaneously instead of years later. To be clear, I'm not criticizing anything the complaining woman did or didn't do, just expressing an opinion on how the optimal handling of it would go.

There is a criminal lawyers' party that happens every Christmas in Gastown. A few of the female lawyers I've grown up with remarked to me at one of the last ones that the party must be great for a single guy like myself. I pointed out that the #metoo has turned that party from about the best place to pick up women to about the worst place - and that's not a bad thing. Tons of sketchy shite happened over the years, and attitudes needed to and did change.

That said, coaches and players are kind of like blackface - it's always been obviously and egregiously offside.

The only other thing I'll say is this - Ciara hovering in the background, again, is a red flag for me. Maybe all of these allegations are true. Maybe not. I don't know - I wasn't there. But she clearly has an axe to grind w.r.t. the Whitecaps (in my view), and to the extent that she is shepherding all these disclosures forward - if she is - I find that disconcerting...

It's also interesting how this shite often bubbles to the surface at the first sign of things going right for the mens' first team...

Spankmemanky

Apr 18, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ummmmm ….. whether she likes it or not, she is the face of the movement locally….she was the one brave enough to put herself out there and expose herself, both then and now.

I hope the axe is sharp and I hope it takes a few heads…. Good riddance to bad rubbish!!!

The time is nigh for a change…. Both NT deserve our full and loyal attention…. Not put off by the unethical shite that happens behind the scenes.

The new CSA investigation will show how serious they are about eradicating the dipshits outta the game forever.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
@mtkb the reason Ciara has "an axe to grind" is because the people who enabled Birarda, Busby, et al. are still in positions of power. There has been no day of reckoning for any of them, and under their watch what's to stop any of this shite from happening again?

And this is not at all unique to whitecaps. Look at what just happened in the NWSL with the Carolina and Washington teams.

Look at the Chicago Blackhawks for fcuk's sake!!

For too long victims have been ignored, shut up, and made to go away. Meanwhile the perpetrators of these acts just get shuffled along to the next organization with a clean slate and all the opportunity to abuse their power again.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the culture within sport is changing for the better. And Birarda' s case was back in court today apparently - I don't think you can still say no day of reckoning for him when he's staring down criminal charges that could well land him in custody.

Ciara is welcome to that perspective, and it may even be completely accurate. It's her shepherding forward of individual allegations, when she has such a clear general bias, that for sets off alarm bells for me as someone who has defended many of these cases. "Coaching" can happen with witnesses just as much as with players...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the culture within sport is changing for the better. And Birarda' s case was back in court today apparently - I don't think you can still say no day of reckoning for him when he's staring down criminal charges that could well land him in custody.

Ciara is welcome to that perspective, and it may even be completely accurate. It's her shepherding forward of individual allegations, when she has such a clear general bias, that for sets off alarm bells for me as someone who has defended many of these cases. "Coaching" can happen with witnesses just as much as with players...

I didn't say Birarda wasn't facing consequences. I said all the people in power who enabled him for so long are not.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just reading that article a bit closer... he tries something on in Florida, and then subsequent to that she flies into Vancouver and stays in a room with him then as well? I'd love to hear her explanation for why that Vancouver room wasn't the last hotel room on the planet she'd have been caught dead entering...

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Pushed back to late November again.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Like @Dude said. At what point does the MLS step in or for that matter acknowledge and punish the organization. Taking away draft picks might do us some good

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0