Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Blu Ray Wins the Battle

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm in the hd-dvd side of things and in a way couldn't be happier... there will be a tonne of sales on disks... check out amazon.com for some major deals right now!

LG has come out and said they will continue to support HD-DVD which may mean a combo player could appear in the near future.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
AAA - Executive Style Home - smh.com.au

Quite happy with this as the owner of a BluRay DVD player whose been pissed at not being able to get movies like Transformers in HD. Sucks for Xbox owners and people that dished out for HD-DVD players before they were in the $150 - $250 price range.

It doesn't really suck for XBox 360 owners, unless they bought the HD-DVD addon. By having the HD-DVD player be a separate addon, 360 owners are essentially HD agnostic. I guarantee that Microsoft will now start producing a Blu-Ray player addon.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rumour I just read is that futureshop may begin liquidating hd-dvd disks next week at 75% off regullar prices...

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
is there really that much of a difference between them. Honestly. I am quite happy with the quality of the DVD's I rent. those extra few pixels ain't letting me sleep any easier.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
is there really that much of a difference between them. Honestly. I am quite happy with the quality of the DVD's I rent. those extra few pixels ain't letting me sleep any easier.

Between regular and HD? Yes, there is, and until you watch one you will never know. All my friends said the exact same thing until they saw a hockey game in HD, or a movie, now they've all gone and bought HD stuff. So yes.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hockey in HD is less impressive than "real" HD due to compression.

Most consumers will not care about the difference between an upconverted dvd and HDM... which is why they say HDM will never really "win"

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was talking about Blue Ray and HD DVD difference. I do see and like the difference in HD and regular.
But this is like the whole VHS and BETA thing. ....
a huge cash grab.
We've all invested in one, and now the big wigs are changing over, so peoples have to press the restart button on collections etc...

What is the big difference between blue ray and HD DVD.
and if there is one, is it worth the money to switch over and follow the lead of these companys switching over?

really now.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was talking about Blue Ray and HD DVD difference. I do see and like the difference in HD and regular.
But this is like the whole VHS and BETA thing. ....
a huge cash grab.
We've all invested in one, and now the big wigs are changing over, so peoples have to press the restart button on collections etc...

What is the big difference between blue ray and HD DVD.
and if there is one, is it worth the money to switch over and follow the lead of these companys switching over?

really now.

No difference really, you're dead on with the VHS/Beta analogy. It is worth the money to go Blu-ray if you don't have it, as nothing new will be coming out in HD-DVD. Everything out there for it will be super cheap, as Regs alluded to in an earlier post.

Mr. X

Nov 29, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I still think the quality of DVD's is pretty good and I have a good collection so I'll hold off buying a blu ray player for a long time. This is going to be expensive to replace them all. =] My question is, with a HDTV is it worth purchasing a new DVD player as I've heard some can increase the pic quality of DVD's?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What you want is an upconverting player which probably means only through an hdmi cable... it definitely does make a difference.

If you are looking to get something to upconvert, look around for toshiba hd-dvd players as they are excellent upconverters, come with 2 hd-dvd disks (I think they still do) and the price will rival a regular dvd player with upconversion abilities.

Mr. X

Nov 29, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well I do have an extra hdmi cable kicking around. Looks like I've got some shopping to do. Thanks for the info.

What you want is an upconverting player which probably means only through an hdmi cable... it definitely does make a difference.

If you are looking to get something to upconvert, look around for toshiba hd-dvd players as they are excellent upconverters, come with 2 hd-dvd disks (I think they still do) and the price will rival a regular dvd player with upconversion abilities.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well I do have an extra hdmi cable kicking around. Looks like I've got some shopping to do. Thanks for the info.

Also, I wouldn't go replacing all of your old ones at any time, just start buying the Blu-ray. Like you, I have about 250 DVD's that would be stupid for me to try and replace. They still look good, but not a good as Blu-ray.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts