Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best Canuck for the first half.

Who was the best Canuck of the first half?

• Total voters

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who caught your eye as the Canuck of the first half?

Naslund - The Captain has lead the way he always has. He's been solid. He's scoring. He's setting guys up. I think I even saw him hit somebody the other night vs. San Jose. If I did, that is one more hit than Bertuzzi in the last two months.:rolleyes:

Linden - Mr. Canuck is playing possibly the best hockey of his career. Just be glad he's doing it here. I am. Aside from the gaffe the other night, he's been very reponsible in his own end, rarely giving up the puck. Offensively he's contibuting a bit which is nice. 20 goals from Mr. Linden would be a good result.

Cloutier - He hasn't really "stolen" a game for them this year, but he has been brilliant. Especially lately. The paddle save he made on Monday night was amazing. The paddle save he made against Selane on the 29th was amazing. Basically, he's been amazing.

Ohlund - The guy is a rock back there. As well as being solid in front of Cloutier he's had a bit of offensive flare this year as well. How many OT goals has he scored this year? Three? Four? Norris Trophy candidate? Maybe.

Jovonovski - A few weeks ago I'm not sure I would have included him in the top five, but he has been pretty good the last few weeks. I've never noticed how slow he was before though. Perhaps some power skating lessons this summer will cure that. I love it when he carries the puck. I especially love it when you're not really paying attention and you look up and number 55 is standing beside the oppositions net.

I'm sure there are plenty of opinions out there, so let's here them.

Should be a good second half starting tonight in LA.

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
TheRob said:
Ohlund - The guy is a rock back there. As well as being solid in front of Cloutier he's had a bit of offensive flare this year as well. How many OT goals has he scored this year? Three? Four? Norris Trophy candidate? Maybe.
You said it...He is a rock back there.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jovonovski - A few weeks ago I'm not sure I would have included him in the top five, but he has been pretty good the last few weeks. I've never noticed how slow he was before though. Perhaps some power skating lessons this summer will cure that. I love it when he carries the puck. I especially love it when you're not really paying attention and you look up and number 55 is standing beside the oppositions net.

What drugs are you on? Surely, you meant Bryan Allen, right?

Jovo is one of the smoothest skaters in the league. His skating has always been strong, and he's always been fast for such a big man.

His start this year was on fire- who can forget that Colorado game- but he's been VERY quiet since December.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regarding Jovo... agreed that TR is on crack suggesting he needs skating lessons, but I do agree that he hasn't been at the top of his game or anywhere near it.

He did show flashes of coming out of that funk recently... I think it was the HNIC Calgary game?

Ohlund, and may I offer Cooke as the Unsung Hero.
I also agree with Ohlund as top 'Nuck so far. Cooke's value to the team was never more evident than when he was out for so long. He is the energy on this team and it will be interesting to see what happens whenever his contract comes up...

Conspicuously agreeable today,

~Regs.

the manager

Sep 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
have to go with the crowd on this one...ohlund gets my vote...

jovo, by the way, is the smallest defenceman on the canucks, and, as others have noted, a great skater. i still think he's a risk defensivly* but it's the price you pay for offensive output.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Without Naslund this team does not even have a shot at the playoffs. The organization should be so lucky to have a player of his quality while paying him peanuts. He has by far been the best Canuck of the first half, no doubt will be the best player during the second half of the season and has contributed ten times more than that Swede with one eye.

Just like Ohlund you guys are BLIND :cool:

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cloutier gets my vote

Dan has been the man for the Nucks this year... His stats haven't been good enough to elect him as a top 5 GK in the NHL yet, but he certainly determines whether this team floats or sinks!!! He has been particularily good lately as he was before his short injury stint... Auld played a couple of good games as did Hedberg before he got injured, but they are not in the same category as Clouts yet and may never be...
When Dan is brilliant he is just that, when he lets in an early goal you just get that feeling it's going to be a long night... Confidence is everything to him as still a young starting GK in the NHL... He has showed signs of maturing and not letting cheap shots get to him as much... (ala Forsberg) Cloutier's performance this spring will decide if the Canucks go deep into the playoffs or not...

Ohlund is our Unsung Hero bar none... (Cooke does add energy, but so does Ruttu)...

Without Naslund this team does not even have a shot at the playoffs
Yes this was posted by a Habs fan... :rolleyes: Nuff said...

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Brent Sopel

This guy got killed in the media and on TTP for the first half of the first half of the season, but the second half of the first half of the season he has turned things around and is looking like his old self again. Very dangerous on the rush and a great point man on the power play.
He gets the most improved player for the first half of the season.

Biggest disapointment has got to be Hedburg who came into the season looking great, but much like a Slurrey United striker, he is a chocolate teapot and has missed so many games with different injuries, that I think he has handed the back-up position to Auld.

MVP, has got to be Nazzy who once agian leads the team and league in scoring.
He should have a starting position at the All-Star game over Bert.

hos

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Get that Sopel crap outta TTP!!!

I was waiting for you numbnuts to post something about it... was hoping it would be Tee or Sarge :D

I don't think Naslund can be considered as MVP so far for the simple fact the PP has been the shits. And on occassion, he doesn't seem interested, similar to Jovo.

~Regs.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Universal truths:

1) Jovo is the best skater on the team, and perhaps the most fleet D-Man in the NHL. To suggest he needs skating lessons is nothing more than another amusing addition to Throb's Big List of Confusing Athletic Analyses.

2) While Ohlund is a very good defenseman, there is not a hope in hell of him getting a Norris nomination. He is widely regarded as the second-best blueliner in Vancouver - even if it may not be entirely true. Anyways, if you had to give out the Norris right now, it'd be Rob Blake and a bunch of others vying for second.

3) The Canucks would still very much be a playoff team without Naslund, but probably in the 6-8 range. The West is on a decline with Dallas, Anaheim, Minnesota and Edmonton struggling to regain the form which saw them get into the playoffs a year ago. Teams like San Jose (who are third in the conference, thanks to that idiotic divisional setup), Calgary and Phoenix are marginal teams who are right in the middle of the playoff race. I'd say the Canucks sans Naslund would be comparable to many of these teams.

4) Sopel, admittedly, has improved his play as of late, but I still consider him to be prime trade bait at the deadline. I think Slegr has shown he can fill in capably (I'd venture to say that Vancouver has the most depth at defense in the Conference), and the market for a young defenseman with upside will be prime come deadline time.

5) Naslund is the MVP, no questions asked. With secondary scoring down even more than last year, and a futile power play which has done little to pad stats, his ability to produce desipte being a marked man is amazing.

NO2

Sep 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I must go with Ohlund as well. He battles the best of the opposition every night and does a damn good job.

No2

LucVanLierde

Not Bright
Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
It would appear that everyone has forgotten how well teh canucks played after Naslund broke his leg 2-3 seasons ago. No other canuck has the impact of Naslund.

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ohlund no doubt about it. He is just so consistent and underrated. He is a workhorse back there and always seems to come up with big goals when they need them.

Parkhead

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm picking Trevor Linden. For no other reason than, I enjoy watching guys who work hard every shift.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts