Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bertuzzi Charged.

You be the judge.

• Total voters

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Off season news: Trades, Draft, etc...

I just heard on NW that Bertuzzi has been charged with assault.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Bertuzzi charged for attack on Moore
Canadian Press
6/24/2004

VANCOUVER (CP) - Vancouver Canucks star Todd Bertuzzi was charged Thursday with assault causing bodily harm for his on-ice attack on Colorado Avalanche player Steve Moore that left Moore with neck injuries.

The charges were announced by the criminal justice branch of the Ministry of the Attorney General after an investigation that lasted four months.

The attack was witnessed by over 18,000 people at the arena and has been shown repeatedly in television clips broadcast across North America and Europe.

Bertuzzi has been ordered to appear in provincial court July 9.

The March 8 incident left Moore, 25, in hospital with three fractured vertebrae - two cervical vertebrae and a fracture of the transverse process in a thoracic vertebra - facial cuts, significant post-concussion symptoms and ``significant amnesia.''

Nerves in the neck area were also stretched by the blow.

Doctors say it's not known when, or if, the Windsor, Ont., native can play hockey again.

The National Hockey League suspended Bertuzzi, 29, for the final 13 games of the regular season and Vancouver's seven playoff games.

The suspension cost Bertuzzi $501,926.39 US of his $6.8-million salary. The Canucks were also fined $250,000.

Bertuzzi was also left off Team Canada's roster for this fall's World Cup.

His indefinite suspension won't be lifted until NHL commissioner Gary Bettman holds a hearing with the Canuck star. During a May 25 interview, Bettman gave no indication when that meeting might occur.

Bertuzzi's only public comment was a tearful apology two nights after the incident occurred.

``Steve, I just want to apologize for what happened out there,'' said the Sudbury, Ont., native. ``I had no intention of hurting you. I feel awful for what transpired.''

``I don't play the game that way,'' he added. ``I'm not a mean-spirited person. I'm sorry for what happened.''

Bertuzzi hired Len Doust, one of B.C.'s most high-profile counsels, to represent him.

During the game, with the Avs already leading 8-2, the six-foot-three, 235-pound Bertuzzi grabbed Moore from behind at 8:41 of the third period.

He sucker-punched the Avs forward on the side of his head and then landed on top of the six-foot-two, 205-pound Moore, driving his head into the ice.

The attack was seen as retaliation for a hit Moore put on Vancouver star Markus Naslund that left the Canuck captain with a concussion and sidelined him for three games.

There is precedent for a hockey player facing charges for his on-ice action.

Most recently Marty McSorely, then with the Boston Bruins, was charged with assault after bashing then-Canuck Donald Brashear with a stick to the head in February 2000.

McSorley was convicted of assault with a weapon and given an 18-month conditional discharge.

Bertuzzi had 17 goals, 43 assists and 122 penalty minutes in 69 games this season.

Moore, who has a degree in environmental sciences and public policy from Harvard, had five goals, seven assists and 27 penalty minutes in 57 games.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

You knew this was going to happen after Robinson was charged earlier in the last week.

Guess we don't have to worry about Pratt's painful "banter" about Euro 2004 today. Or the next month for that matter :rolleyes:

~Regs.

gong show

Nov 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bertuzzi Facing Assault Charges

Todd Bertuzzi has just been charged with Assault causing bodily harm. Goes to court on July 9th to face the charges....hot off the cknw website....

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Bertuzzi Facing Assault Charges

We scooped you and NW Gong Show. It was posted here about 30 minutes ago.

gong show

Nov 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Bertuzzi Facing Assault Charges

TheRob said:
We scooped you and NW Gong Show. It was posted here about 30 minutes ago.
The story of my life Rob...a day late and a dollar short... :eek:

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
He will get all the best representation, Coach are you available?, and then he will get off with something similar to McSorely. I think it was a suspended sentence, stay out of trouble kind of thing.
More important is where is Bert going to end up next year. I think the Nucks just got fukced if they were going to try and move him at the Draft this Saturday, teams will stay away with this charge coming forward. I say Bert goes to NewYork to take over for that Lindros fellow.

hos

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
More top-notch detective work from the boys in blue. Four fcuking months to crack the Steve Moore caper. Another classic whodunnit solved (we believe the suspect was wearing a blue top with skates. packs a heavy punch). Good fcuking grief. What took them so long? A lack of video evidence?

My favourite Pratt/Taylor moment was the shock both had after the Denver Post reporter explained that this wasn't really a big story in Colorado. Of course, Denver could never really dedicate a three-hour radio show to the 10th anniversary of not winning the Stanley Cup, either.

Speaking of Denver, my theory is that they should try the case in Colorado, and simulcast it with the Kobe Bryant hearings. Then make Bert and Kobe cellmates, and create a whole new reality TV show. But I digress....

This is another great precedent set by the VPD. I hear they're still looking into charges from our AMSL game where TheRob punched a girl to the ground and then tried to scrap her fiancee.

We figure they'll lay charges by 2009.

Free TheRob
because we're running out of heroes

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Team 1040 with another show for the ages again today. Another 6 hours, 3 with Brooke 'I drink to much coffee' Ward and yet another head banging, infuriating 3 hours with Pratt on Todd Burtuzzi's most inecusable act in the HISTORY of man kind. This is not earth shattering news boys...I can't begin to tell you how Mickey Mouse 1040 is and how I want Pratt Killed in the most painful of possible ways. Save that for another thread I suppose. What was I in here for?... Ah yes. I learned today, but not from the above that the Crown is responsible for the delay not the VPD. With the McSorley case Brash's hospital records were made available almost immediately, but Moore's weren't easy to get at. That's their story and I suppose they'll stick to it.

Geez I hope they cancel the only two good programs on their show tomorrow to bring us the continuing coverage of the Tanya Harding controversy which was 10 years and 3 days ago... Riveting.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I learned today, but not from the above that the Crown is responsible for the delay not the VPD. With the McSorley case Brash's hospital records were made available almost immediately, but Moore's weren't easy to get at.

Fair enough.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From the Scoop Bot:rolleyes: :
Bertuzzi makes not guilty plea in court

Canadian Press

8/26/2004

VANCOUVER (CP) - Vancouver Canuck star Todd Bertuzzi pleaded not guilty Thursday to an on-ice assault in a hit watched by millions last March.

Bertuzzi, dressed in a grey pin-stripped suit and an open-neck shirt, delivered the plea at a court appearance that lasted only 10 minutes.

He said only ``not guilty, your honour'' when asked his plea and he did not speak to reporters as he left with his wife in a black, SUV limousine.

It was the first personal appearance by the high-profile player on charges of assault causing bodily harm and the judge thanked him for being there, saying Bertuzzi did not have to appear in person. Bertuzzi was charged June 24 after Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore suffered a concussion and broken neck during a game March 8 between the rival teams vying to capture the top spot in their division.

The punch from behind, followed by the much-larger Bertuzzi crashing onto the ice on top of Moore, was replayed repeatedly on newscasts following the game.

Crown lawyer Garth Loeppky told court he would call several players as witnesses, though he didn't say who or from what teams. League officials, medical staff and game officials will also be called.

Video evidence will be presented during the trial which is expected to last three weeks.

Judge William Kitchen expressed concern that if a widely predicted labour disruption does not go ahead and the NHL enters the hockey season as usual, that player witnesses could be ``scattered.''

Loeppky replied that was something the Crown would have to deal with.

The plea came the same day as an American Hockey League player was charged with the same charges in a stick-swinging incident that left his opponent convulsing on the ice.

Police in Hamilton said the incident involving Hamilton Bulldogs forward Alexander Perezhogin ``crossed the line.''

Bertuzzi was suspended indefinitely by the NHL after the incident in Vancouver and missed 20 games. The Canucks struggled in the playoffs without Bertuzzi and were upset by the Calgary Flames in the first round.

Lawyers in the case are expected to appear in court Sept. 1 when a trial date may be set.

The Vancouver Sun has applied to use recording devices and take photographs in court if Bertuzzi pleads not guilty and proceeds to a trial.

The newspaper's representatives have also asked, on behalf of CanWest Global TV affiliates, that the court allow television cameras in the courtroom.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts