Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BCSPL- Pros/Cons/Other Sports

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great showing by the clubs here in BC.
Well deserved and well coached.
We have some very good players here.
But how many will represent BC in the Provincial teams?
Why is it that we are successful in club championships, but not when playing for BC?
The ultimate gauge for success is how many BC players move up to play at various levels for Canada.
Or, play professionally.
That has not been happening for a few years now.
There are less players from BC on any Canadian Teams than ever before.
I have my own views on why this is happening, but I would be interested in other people's views.
Winning the Nationals for the BC select team may not seem a priority for some people, but being realistic, if you don't win or come second, the National selectors aren't going to look at the players, as much as the ones who play in the final.
So the whole process of selecting the best players, as well as the best coaches becomes very important.
We all talk about "player development", but what about coaches development?
Why not reward the coaches that are successful with their clubs at Nationals with the opportunity to coach the Provincial team?
This would put the coaches in the spotlight to be looked at as possible staff for future National Teams.
I am sure that would be an incentive to young abitious coaches.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In regards to the BCPL, the real bench mark will have to be in 10 years when those first "generation"of players passes through and we see where those players end up.

In regards to provincial and national programs, I still feel we struggle with understanding the difference between talent selection and talent identification and the significiance and fine details that go along with it. It's easy to be a talent selector but to be a talent identifier is much harder and more riskier and much more work off ann ther field.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Posted March 1st:

Soccer in BC in terms of "developing" high-level players would be miles ahead of where it is right now if more resources were put into scouting/identifying rather than supporting redundant programs.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
In regards to the BCPL, the real bench mark will have to be in 10 years when those first "generation"of players passes through and we see where those players end up.

In regards to provincial and national programs, I still feel we struggle with understanding the difference between talent selection and talent identification and the significiance and fine details that go along with it. It's easy to be a talent selector but to be a talent identifier is much harder and more riskier and much more work off ann ther field.
They will have nowhere to play in 10 years, unless we have a league for them to play in.
All of the development is great, but what are we developing them for?
Right now it's for University.
If we look at the "big picture" we have to have a league where these players can express themselves and develop even further.
Some will gain experience and try Europe.
Some might play in NASL, some may move up to MLS.
But they cannot develop further, after Youth Soccer without a league.
It's either University, or "Pub League".
I've said it for years, CSA dropped the ball by allowing CSL to fold.
They should have subsidized it.
Now they need to start the league again & subsidize ie for 15 years, or till it catches on.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll sum up it up as fast as I can. Players aren't stupid. They know the difference between a coach who really cares for them and one who simply recites curriculum. Even if that coach has deficiencies, they will run through a wall for that coach. They trust him. They feed off the passion and express it through their play. A licence, B licence, whatever...it means nothing without honest insightful comments,and a passion and commitment stating that the coach cares for them.

It's basic human dynamics. Soccer is a human game.

I think most on this forum will understand.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great job on the summary djones...

I ended up traveling with our girls to Newfoundland and was able to take in the u16 boys final. Incredibly close game between two excellent teams. Nice touch by the organizers to put the final where Canada played Honduras so many years ago!

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I also know some foreign coaches who came to Canada to actually work as soccer coaches. Yes, they had broken English but they were new to Canada and had time to learn it (English). The work they did with some kids was unbelievable! Still remember a guy who run a small soccer school out of New West (10 years ago!?). Amazing work and dedication; remember seeing a lot of people who just came to watch his practices. He was a former pro from Europe and he actually demonstrated to the kids every single move. But, he could not get a (soccer) job anywhere in BC. I heard that he went into an argument with some BCSA officials who were supposed to coach his kids (enough talented to play later on in Europe). At the end, after few years of trying to get involved with soccer here in BC he returned to Europe. He obviously did not know how to play the system here in BC (did not know whose butt he had to kiss).
Because of the stories like this Canadian soccer is going nowhere; always the same group of people involved, buddies, business partners, etc. and it is hard to break that circle. Some people make huge amounts for part time work, no responsibility whatsoever, successful or not they keep their well paid positions. But, every 3-4 years they change the "system" in BC; from IPL to Super Y to HPL. What is next?
That same coach is back in BC again and has started a new soccer school for players from HPL and those aspiring to play for the Whitecaps Residency. He coaches on Sunday at 2pm at Sapperton Park in New West. He is also planning to offer Friday evening sessions

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
That same coach is back in BC again and has started a new soccer school for players from HPL and those aspiring to play for the Whitecaps Residency. He coaches on Sunday at 2pm at Sapperton Park in New West. He is also planning to offer Friday evening sessions

Which coach is this or what is the academy called? I'd be surprised if a man running a business is limiting his clientele to just BCSPL (it's not been called HPL for years!) especially since there is a not insignificant number of metro and div 1 kids of excellent quality who chose not to play BCSPL.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Which coach is this or what is the academy called? I'd be surprised if a man running a business is limiting his clientele to just BCSPL (it's not been called HPL for years!) especially since there is a not insignificant number of metro and div 1 kids of excellent quality who chose not to play BCSPL.
My bad for not calling it HPL instead of BCSPL.
If you want to know the coaches name, then you should ask him on Sunday at 2pm at Sapperton Park.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
My bad for not calling it HPL instead of BCSPL.
If you want to know the coaches name, then you should ask him on Sunday at 2pm at Sapperton Park.

See now I have to go and do research to figure out which teams are playing at that field this Sunday at 2pm.....or you could just say the name, eh?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Isn't it kind of...strange...to be so secretive on a public noticeboard, especially when you are giving the guy up, and his whereabouts, anyway?

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's all about the hype.

Outstanding marketing ploy to get people out to Sapperton this weekend.

FYI Dude - I'll be on a golf course Sunday during this huge event, where its warm with lots of wine, women, and song.
Oh, and gambling too.
Can you guess where?

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The BCSPL is into week 10 of its winter season and the usual teams are on top of the league standings. The winter season standings determine which teams make the provincials.
In the U14 to U18 boys age divisions, Surrey United is in first place overall in league standings with an average score of 18.8. Coquitlam MF is second with an average score of 18.2.
The remaining teams and their average scores are Mountain at 15.4, Coastal at 12.5, Vancouver Island at 12, Fusion at 10.6, Fraser Valley at 8 and Thompson Okanagan at 7.5.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd like to say "winter" is a misnomer but based on the weather lately at training I can't really quarrel with PV's language...

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure where to put this...

If you focus in on the little billboard at the bottom it says...
"Canadian Youth Developmental League meeting around back".

Is the CSA planning on uniting the BCSPL/ODPL and other similar provincial top tiers under the same umbrella/same policies/standards? Making a Canadian version of USSDA?

I'm out of the loop now when it comes to the youth soccer circles so I have no idea. Lots of projects on the go tho with rumours of a Canadian Premier League, a tier 3 BC Premier League that BC Soccer wants to start and now a CYDL.

For someone that ALWAYS complained that nothing changes in the Canadian soccer landscape, I think this may be progress.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0