Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BCSA

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I got wind of a interesting tid bit: it seems that the BCSA will be compensating both Westside and Surrey somewhere to the tune of $200-300 for expenses incurred in travelling to Nanaimo for the Provincial semi's.

Does this make sense? Granted it sucks for two Vancouver teams to travel to the Island to play, but why fork out up to $600 when the Association could have rescheduled it somewhere in the Lower Mainland, charge 5 bucks a head and make some money instead.

We've all heard the arguments against Vancouver teams travelling to the Island to play each other -- nothing new here -- but, it's shocking to hear, now, that the BCSA is bailing their asses out by paying off clubs to keep them from complaining.

Further, I hear that the money is going to league office as payment of their league dues for next year. I wonder if the women's teams are being similairly compensated -- or is it, whoever complains the most gets the money?

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Money well spent

A few free pints in the garden courtesy of the BCSA is always welcome!!!:D Besides Nanaimo United appreciated the business!!! :rolleyes:

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by Keeper

Does this make sense? Granted it sucks for two Vancouver teams to travel to the Island to play, but why fork out up to $600 when the Association could have rescheduled it somewhere in the Lower Mainland, charge 5 bucks a head and make some money instead.

There is no place other than Town Center in Coquitlam (too out of the way), Queens Park (too gay) and Swanguard (too expensive and no profit unless it was a Croatia vs. Serb WE semi). Better to give the Island a taste of some crap soccer like a Westside vs Surrey U game.

The BCSA should invest in building a small Stadium like park in the lower mainland, with a licensed club house and a decent concession stand to host the top level amateur games in the province. Which the Vmsl can rent out for featured games of the week. Like a Croatia vs. Inter game...or something like that. It wouldn't have to be much bigger than Kinsmen but more enclosed.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Jobless Wonder

You could actually be on to something CDK!!!:eek: (I can't beleive I like your idea)... However, where do you propose something of this nature be developed??? I sure as hell hope you have a central venue in mind!!! Maybe Cloverdale Athletic???:rolleyes:

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How about where the old Callister Park used to be? It was donated for the use of soccer wasn't it? The BSCA should go to City council and work out an arangment.

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A short walk from Adanac.

Unless you have short legs and need to take twice as many steps as a normal sized person.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
measuring stick

I'm certain you have no height on this dog!!! If so it would be by a fraction, probably by the last strand of hair on your heed... :rolleyes:
On topic, Adanac is a good central location, so I guess Callister Park would work... what is there right now???

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Callister Park

It was located across Renfrew Street from the Pacific Coliseum. It is a big open grassy area with some children's play ground stuff. Every time I drive by it, it strikes me that there is rarely a lot of action on that site.

Callister was a great soccer facility but it was an old wooden structure that was really a fire trap if it got going. The stands were close to the field as it had no track like Swanguard. There were stands along three sides of the field only. Along both sides of the park and in the west end zone where the concessions were and the dressing rooms and the main entrance to the park. The east end zone had nothing but a fence back there.

When the PCL was strong there could be 2500-3500 people at a game (if it were Columbus). It really went down when they took out the grass and made it a sand (I believe) field where they did the PNE's car smashing shite.

One of the more interesting sites were fans storming the field with boards they kicked off the stands. I think it was a Columbus
game.

The youth provincial cup and youth Mainland cup games were usually played there in those years. It was a great place to watch a game for young kids on a Saturday or Sunday, and a great place to play as it had great atmosphere. Swanguard is a nice setting etc, but the decision to put the track there really screws it up for soccer.

coachk

Jul 31, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
handouts

keeper
fyi there has always been a bit of compo for teams involved in BCSA run tournements, for travel, as far as I know... they also pick up the refs and assistants fees for all Prov cup games... there is change in the wind.however when the next "out of town" semis or finals are scheduled and VMSL teams are the ones involved ..a local venue will be booked and then changed so it will be a local game...finally....some thing B Azzi has been trying to get for years
cheers Keith

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts