Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BCPL Referee Shortage?

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Saw Angelo and Jose at the caps game yesterday. Many trained refs around, just need to get them to lose a few pounds so they can get back on the field.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
TBH I was expecting this to be about a bunch of Refs not tall enough to get on a roller coaster

See Ya Reaction GIF by Travis

Last edited:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Crazy theory....

With hockey and soccer on the shelf for 18 months, I wonder how many refs either found other ways to get their supplementary income, OR, learned they don't really need it, and found they didn't miss the stress that comes with refereeing?

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would ref at a reasonably high level....or any level of men's hockey, or soccer.

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Crazy theory....

With hockey and soccer on the shelf for 18 months, I wonder how many refs either found other ways to get their supplementary income, OR, learned they don't really need it, and found they didn't miss the stress that comes with refereeing?

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would ref at a reasonably high level....or any level of men's hockey, or soccer.
Good point Dude, My 13yr old Godson just started reffing...... He's about a month into it, and is already sick of it. He say's the parents are brutal. Go figure.

robino

Sep 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, it can be brutal if you dont know what you are doing. Last week, we had a ref that missed every foul, didnt call pass backs and called offsides even though at u9 there are no offsides. No need to yell but you have to point out if they need to improve. Young kids now, every time you try to give some feedback and advice get their back up like you are being mean or something. You want to work, get paid and fukc all and then when someone says something you cry about it.

whistle blower

Mar 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
1. We need people that have played the game to start refereeing.
2. BC Soccer and clubs that schedule the games need to help educate better (coached - players -fan's and ref's).
3. Teams - fans and players need to stop acting like the over paid professionials on TV and remember that it's not the world cup.
4. Some Coaches still don't know the updated law's (and some ref's in on a 2 hour education session by BC Soccer on hand balls i am sure 80% of us came out wondering what the actual law is now.
5. FIFA need to remember when they change the laws most of our games are single offical games and no VAR to help.
6. Like Rugby absolutely no talking to the referee - Players - coaches or fan's ( Captain's could ask questions but they have to except the ref's explanation, Absolutely no debate

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, it can be brutal if you dont know what you are doing. Last week, we had a ref that missed every foul, didnt call pass backs and called offsides even though at u9 there are no offsides. No need to yell but you have to point out if they need to improve. Young kids now, every time you try to give some feedback and advice get their back up like you are being mean or something. You want to work, get paid and fukc all and then when someone says something you cry about it.
I'll reply to this and @whistle blower 's comments. Specifically, the comments in bold, above.

IMO, if this is your opinion, @robino, you are actually part of the problem, and not the solution. The kids refereeing at the U9 level are, maybe 12, 13 years old. They are still at the age where they don't know how to "manage" an adult. You, as a coach, should be a mentor to these kids, and not someone they have to view as an adversary. If it becomes adversarial, it is you that has lost the plot, not the kid you feel is just there to get paid and maybe cries about it when you as the adult have possibly confronted them in a way that they don't know how to handle. Just a thought, maybe you are the problem, not them.

I also say this knowing that at times, I was the problem, not the solution. One match in particular w/ my U15 girls. This is the age where they are now competitive, know the game, the rules, and want to win. It is now getting a bit aggressive, at times chippy, and they know it. This match was very competitive, and there was one incident where I felt a yellow, maybe a red was in order, and the play didn't stop. Yes, I lost my shite, at first directed it at the opposing coach ("Get your player off the field!"), then the young ref who was maybe 15/16 himself. There were no curse words used, but certainly he was dealing with an amped up coach that was deffinitely animated, and from his perspective, probably aggressive. At that point, a ref supervisor who was overseeing the match stepped in (as he should have, I was coming unglued), I had a go at him, too. That did get very heated, we were nose-to-nose. Finally, my assistant coach, a mom, teacher, and former player with a far more level head than me, stepped in, and cooled me off...but by then the damage was done.

I write this because, in the aftermath of the incident I was definitely feeling regret with the way I handled it. Approached the young man after, sincerely apologized for my behavior. Gave him zero feedback on his officiated except to say, in that incident, I felt he missed a critical call, but also felt in the balance of the match, he did a great job, despite my outburst. . Wrote to him after to apologize, too, and when I was called up on the carpet, didn't hide from the discipline being handed down. @Ballbaby was actually one of those sitting in that I had to answer to. I can't even remember what my fine or disciplinary action was (suspended for a couple of matches, I think), but certainly, I was regretful of the whole thing. I needed to be better, and going forward, I certainly ensured I was better. I was "part of the problem" that day, not part of a long term solution. If I were that kid, that day, I'd have handed in my whistle and walked away from refereeing, for sure.

Secondly, @whistle blower - you are bang on, but how? Me, I'd never do it. I have better things to do in my spare time than take abuse from parents who don't understand the game. How does one change the culture overnight? I have no idea, but frankly, you start with better compensation, and go from there. You have to have a multi faceted approach here: better compensation at entry level, and all levels. Better mentoring (it's pretty darn good right now, actually), and more education at the coach and most importantly parent / spectator levels.

@whistle blower , I really don't know how or why you do it, good on you. You have to deal with opinionated players (remember once you making me feel so small, "What were you thinking?" after I kicked a GN Player in Premier match, behind the play, total cheap shot. He deserved it, but...), benches that go nuts, and even parents. Why? Why do you keep coming back?

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I nodded off a quarter the way through @Dude post, so it may have been covered , but @robino unless you're qualified AND acting in a learning facilitator roll, you should have absolutely 10000% nothing to say to any ref, let alone one doing a U9 game. Stay in your lane. You may have already done way more harm than good.

There are people in charge you can voice your opinion to and I'm I a betting man you're not as confident in your knowledge speaking to them as you are a 12 year old.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thats maybe the one thing I’m best with currently. I just don’t criticize the ref no matter what in my kids game U9. It’s a general rule if mine,
Some of these kids are so young. The last thing they need is a stranger letting them know what they are doing wrong. I’ll help explain things to kids on both teams when refs are super shy. If it feels appropriate.

I’m a competitive nut and I’ll admit that. My day is coming Dude and I know I’ll get it wrong. But I will say even at U9 there are plenty of coaches calling for fouls, manipulating and yelling at young refs. “They need to learn.” That’s what I got when I confronted a coach about it. Needless to say we had some words and they were far from friendly.
I don’t feel it’s my role to “teach” the ref. It’s my role to make sure he comes back. Feels confident. There are no Pks at my kids age. One ref called 2 against us and i let it play out. I let the the tech staff know after. Hey this kid did great but maybe let him know all free kicks are indirect at this age as the kids were very confused.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0