Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BC Soccer Voting Structure Shiteshow

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
President of CONCACAF makes $1,250,000 per year plus the provision of 100% non-guaranteed bonus (based on an article from 2018). He also gets an additional $300,000 for his role as one of eight vice presidents on FIFA’s governing council. The group meets three or four times each year. $75,000 to $100,000 per meeting! Well done!

I guess every bureaucrat at BCSA and CSA dreams about becoming another Victor Montagliani. That road has to go through CSA so that is why you won't see any push back by BCSA when CSA wants to make some changes. Instead, BCSA decides to bully their members and threaten them. Really!? Gentlemen, this game was played long time before you and will be played long time after you.
Wow, that's more than tree huggers get for fighting off red-necked truckers.
Vic and his friends make a lot, but it's hard work, travelling around the Caribbean, watching games, checking in and out of hotels.
Seriously though, the media got it wrong. He makes a lot less according to the financial statements I read.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, that's more than tree huggers get for fighting off red-necked truckers.
Vic and his friends make a lot, but it's hard work, travelling around the Caribbean, watching games, checking in and out of hotels.
Seriously though, the media got it wrong. He makes a lot less according to the financial statements I read.
Tree-huggers don't fight off "red-necked truckers".

They block bridges carrying parents driving their kids to hospitals for medical care... and other people just trying to get to work to put food on the table.

That's why I fcuking loathe them.

oranje

Nov 12, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why am I getting a whole Yul Brynner “So let it be written, so let it be done” vibe from this situation?

1656687510914.png

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kudos to all the Adult Leagues in standing their ground and responding in a calm and rational manner.

I would like to see something similar from the the youth stakeholders as well.

The eye opener in that statement is the bit about the 3rd-party review indicating BC Soccer doesn't know who they serve internally. TTP can relate. We should talk.

dr steve brule confusion GIF

Thumper

Jun 30, 2022
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here you go Regs

Attachments

• IB_2022-23 - Operational Efficiency Review - Executive Summary.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 30

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fairly measured response from the Adult side. Hopefully a way forward can be found.

I heard a rumour that some of the Youth Districts are canvassing support for a potential vote on the removal of Gayle Statton as President. Will be interesting to see if that gains any momentum or if things all calm down a bit.

The independent report is an interesting read. It basically, in the nicest language possible, points out that BC Soccer is fairly dysfunctional when it comes to delivering for its members.

It has a great vision and goal set, etc., and it manages its finances incredibly well, but beyond that it appears to struggle to deliver actual value to its members.

As we peel back the layers of this whole situation, it is becoming clearer and clearer why we have got to where we are today.

My guess would be that BC Soccer and its board likely feel that altering the voting structure of its members addresses the "governance" issues that it has been found to have in this report and based on the CSA directive. Meanwhile, Adult, and likely some portion of Youth, already feel a disconnect between the organization (BCSA) and the value they see as members, so they are dissatisfied with the situation and are not willing to just accept BCSA solutions because they do not see any value in it.

Interestingly, based on the language in the CSA letter re resolving the governance issues by the November AGM, I wonder if that might actually leave the door open for the voting structure itself to remain as is with the current 50/50 split - assuming a majority of the members are agreeable.

Meanwhile, the governance issues could be addressed at a board and staffing level by shrinking the size of the board, having defined roles for both directors and staff, having term limits for directors with succession plans, and reviewing internal processes to remove barriers for decision makers. Additionally, they could address "inequity" by mandating voices on the board for gender representation and geographic representation. These types of solutions are actually much more aligned with CSA's literature on "Good Governance" compared to the minutiae of actually individual voting structures.

It would appear that BC Soccer might well have a bit of tunnel vision and view the voting structure as sort of a "Silver Bullet" solution to their "inequity" problem. This is perhaps not surprising given the lack of alignment within the society between the Board and the Staff, as well as its members.

The Tau Report shows the situation is much more nuanced than that. The Adult members, and their share of the vote, are not the "problem" here. It runs much deeper and looks as though it will take some heavy lifting and collaboration amongst all facets of BC Soccer to get resolved.

Perhaps this is long overdue...

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
they've long had a problem with the staff believing that they call the shots, and weak, career board members just rubber stamping things. my old man - then chair of burnaby district - once remarked of one of their (long gone) staffers: "she's bright... she's hardworking... she's dependable... and i'd fire her"...

the elected board sets the vision, and the staff implements it. chain of command 101...

Thumper

Jun 30, 2022
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another Update and rhetoric from BCSA. CSA says get it done by Nov.

Attachments

• IB_2022-29 - Update on Voting Structure and Canada Soccer letter included (1).pdf
    351 KB · Views: 21

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is it just me? I can't understand their angle here. I mean, yeah, they say mission accomplished in getting the message out to the wider soccer community, but did they?

5700 video plays *almost* ... yeah and TTP had *almost* 3000 "readers" on this topic since it started :rolleyes:

1657148418469.png

Would like to see a testimonial page of all the positive comments received that don't include "Let the kids play!" or "What about the children?"

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
given that the CSA is involved here, there's probably a way for the adults to invoke the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and try to protect their autonomy that way... would involve going to court, of course...

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The adults can try a diversionary tactic and claim that youth club presidents should be the ones deciding matters for youth, not District Chairs. Normal practice is for BCSA to notify Districts and then Districts notify the Clubs in their District. Youth Club Presidents don't get a vote at BCSA meetings, only Districts get to vote.
One could argue that Youth Club Presidents and all their board members do the hard work but are ignored by BCSA. HPL clubs are a different kettle of fish.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The adults can try a diversionary tactic and claim that youth club presidents should be the ones deciding matters for youth, not District Chairs. Normal practice is for BCSA to notify Districts and then Districts notify the Clubs in their District. Youth Club Presidents don't get a vote at BCSA meetings, only Districts get to vote.
One could argue that Youth Club Presidents and all their board members do the hard work but are ignored by BCSA. HPL clubs are a different kettle of fish.
that's a good idea, in that it uses the "your rules aren't equitable" logic the CSA apparently prefers. i wonder, however, where that takes them. moreover, i don't think they have any more standing to interfere in how the youth clubs send district delegates to the BC AGM than the CSA does to interfere with BC Soccer governance. they might actually have less...

Thumper

Jun 30, 2022
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nothing, other than to reiterate that change needs to happen. No where has the CSA attempted to assist on helping mediate the change but keep telling BCSA to get it done otherwise sanctions are coming. Maybe a little help here from the CSA might work to solve the issue.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts