Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Back To The Numbers: A statistical look at Week 6 of the CPL

AFTN

May 25, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Back To The Numbers: A statistical look at Week 6 of the CPL

Week 6 of the Canadian Premier League brought us four more games to digest as six of the leagues seven teams were in action with Cavalry FC being the sole team having a week off league play.

Edmonton found themselves on the wrong end of a couple results whilst Forge were seen surging in this mid-spring-season portion of the year. Pacific continued an unfortunate trend and York9 came up short of a win once again.

Let’s dig into what stats, numbers and trends this week led us to in the sixth week of the Canadian Premier League.

Edmonton All Dried Up

Have Edmonton’s goals all dried up? Or were they never there to begin with?
FC Edmonton might have given us all false hope for enjoyable attacking football in their season opener against Valour when they came out 2-1 victors. That was the last time they scored a goal, and that game was on May 4th. Since then they have been shut out four times on the trot. This includes home games against Pacific and Valour and games on the road against Calvary and Forge.

FC-Edmonton-scoreless-matches.jpg

The table above gives us shooting stats over those four games and a couple of things are glaringly obvious. Ten shots on target over the course of 360 minutes is not good enough, but that certainly doesn’t mean that none should go in the net. Another thing that we can see is that coach Jeff Paulus was obviously not happy with the attacking intent from his team and made big changes to their style of play against Valour this past weekend (19 shots!), but to no avail, the Eddies were snuffed out once again.

Big Ol’ Zero in the ‘W’ Column

York9FC have no wins through five games of league play, which isn’t ideal. All that can be done at this point is to squeeze out the positives, of which there are still a few!

Of their five games, four of them have been away from home, which means that they are going to be running the second half of the spring season very home heavy.

In those five games, they have only been shutout once. Teams struggle to get out of a York game with a clean sheet, Forge being the only team successful in doing so. Unfortunately for York there is a mentionable counterpoint to this, which is that they have yet to keep a clean sheet in league play. Only themselves and Halifax still hold this ‘honour’.

York9 can pride themselves in keeping games close. Three of their games have been ties after all. The other two results have been losses but only by one or two goals.

York’s next league game is on June 15th at home against Pacific FC. This is a very good opportunity to pick up their first win of the season and to set a positive omen for the rest of the season.

Consistency Is Key

‘2-0 victory’ has been a popular phrase over the last few weeks in Hamilton as Forge have registered that result in their last three games, defeating Edmonton, York, and Valour in the process.

Triston Henry has been between the sticks for all three of these shutouts, and perhaps the most impressive part is that he has only been forced to make eight saves over the course of 270 minutes. A lot of credit must go to his backline in protecting him.

Tristan Borges is a buzz name around the league at the moment and for good reason. He sits atop the golden boot race halfway through the season, and over these last three wins, has contributed with a goal in each of them.

Tale Of Two Halves

More than halfway through their season are Pacific FC, who have continued to display a frightening trend. Pacific sit in 5th in the CPL after six games with five points. If games were to finish at half time, they would be at 11 points with a record of 4-2-1. There is no denying that this young team struggles to see out a game. Whether it be fatigue or experience, the numbers are staggering.

Pacific-FC-second-half-collapse.jpg

If we look at the table above, you can see the stark contrast in halves played by the BC team. Not a single goal has been scored in the second half of games by Pacific FC, costing them six points in the process. The Wanderers 2-1 win against Pacific this past weekend was actually the first time all season that the team to score first has gone on to lose the game.

If Pacific fans feel a need to hang their hat on something, don’t worry, Marcus Haber scored a goal in the 73rd minute against Cavalry in the Canadian Championship, so it does happen!

Up Next

A short hiatus awaits the Canadian Premier League, as league play is interrupted by the Canadian Championships 2nd qualifying round, which got underway with a very heated encounter between Forge and Cavalry on Tuesday, with Vancouver Whitecaps waiting to learn which one of those two sides will be their opposition in the quarter-finals.

League play will resume on June 15th with a triple header. Don’t forget all matches can be seen at onesoccer.ca.

Read Further on AFTN.ca

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
This league hasn’t folded yet? Where is the coverage for this league. brutal. The buzz is gone and I don’t even know what’s happening.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed.

Go Together Standing Strong Rovers. :)

Great atmosphere and football at Swanguard Friday night albeit in a losing cause for us.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The coverage is all over social media. You have to follow the league to be in the know. I don’t believe it’s in the Sunday paper or on TSN much. But those are dying forms of media anyways.

In saying that, there isn’t much energy for this league on the main land here as we don’t have a team in it. I’m sure that would change if we had a Surrey or Burnaby based team in the league.
I know Pacific united are struggling a bit, but have a very young team.
There are stats and facts and articles all over Instagram and Twitter. Just need to follow the news you want these days. Doesn’t come to your door anymore.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I saw a OneSoccer/CanPL ad on a bus shelter at Oak + King Edward yesterday so their reach is beyond social media.

Teams seem to be averaging about 4K attendance per match. A sell out for several of the stadiums is 6K

I definitely agree, that if there were a local team here there'd be more buzz about the league around town.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Since the first weekend, I think I've watched parts of maybe 2 games.

While the video quality of the actual streams has been good, I find onesoccer.ca seriously lacking. How hard is it to put dates on VOD content?

Also:

Like, WTF?

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
League should see an uptick in coverage when they play CCL against MLS teams next month. Undefeated Calgary vs Whitecaps? I might cheer for Adekugbe jr.

Apparently expansion is supposed to be announced later this month with 1-2 teams in Quebec. Won't raise the profile in BC but helps the national feel of the league.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don’t watch the news. But is the CPL high lights making the news? Or sports centre etc?

The local media sports coverage needs to take interest to it to really have the masses know about it.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Obviously I’m being over the top Dude. I’m sure in the markets that have teams there is some following developing. We are 6 weeks in? There is my first bit of news. I understand streaming and following on twitter is how people are getting news but I have zero idea what’s going on. I’d still say TSN and sportsnet are the major sports providers for news and highlights in Canada.
I know we don’t have a CPL soccer team locally which is why I’m not seeking it out I guess but anyone I’ve spoken to outside of the obsessed that jerk off to soccer magazines “lion” nobody is even talking about it anymore. In fairness they are competing against the NBA and NHL playoffs I guess.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sportsnet has coverage online. If you go to their soccer page it's a subcategory across the top sandwiched right between EPL and Bundesliga

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The marketing strategy seems to be focused on the younger generation, not us. Again, for example, some of you are very adept at the whole subscription / streaming thing. I'm not. I can barely figure out Crave on my iPad. I am an old guy that likes to sit down in my media room, hit the clicker and turn it to channel 900 or whatever because that is where I know the games will be broadcast. I am not going to try and figure out how to get it on my phone and then paired with my TV. I know the technology is there, I'm just not going to do it. I'm not going to try and figure it out. My capacity to absorb is only so much, and eventually I say, "fcuk it, there are a dozen other things I can be doing right now", and all of those things are just as entertaining to me than sitting down and watching some footy.

My kid's generation? For sure, they know how to get anything online.

From what I saw, reasonably entertaining. Reasonably good footy, about what you'd expect for the types of players they have signed. There is a clear difference in play between CPL and MLS in a lot of ways. From what I saw in CPL, it's definitely ball's out fast. Guys are playing with a hunger you don't see in MLS. I still love the fact that maybe 70-80 more Canadians have a job now playing professional footy when they otherwise may not be. This is exactly what we needed. I just hope it survives this first couple of seasons of painful growth and catches some following.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’m in the exact same boat dude. News flash the younger generation has no money,
It’s why they don’t pay for cable in the first place as they try to illegally stream everything. I do understand why the marketing is at them. It’s also a lot cheaper to blow everything up on Instagram and Twitter. Personally I’m finding for sports unless I pay for Dazn, sportsnet etc finding streaming for sports is infuriating. Like you said I just want to sit down and watch the fcuking game.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts