Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Weekly Review Azzi's team and player of the week 04'

Status
Not open for further replies.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WEEK #3 -- 2003-09-22

The 2003-04 season got off to a rather tame and uneventful start as most teams seem to be still recovering from a surprisingly dry and hot summer. After 3 weeks of action, three teams remain undefeated, albeit not with a full 9 points. In other words, no clear cut favourite for the league championship has yet to emerge, with most of the teams showing a great deal of inconsistency. At the bottom of the table, the race to avoid relegation is not quite as uncertain as some teams have already declared themselves as potential candidates for the first division.

In Group 'A', the perennially strong Pegasus FC is in sole possession of first place despite what might be called a mediocre start to the season--at least according to Pegasus standards. After edging SportsTown Firemen and Indo FC in the first two games, Pegasus was held to a 1-1 draw by last place Sapperton Rovers. Mike Dodd opened the scoring for Pegasus while another veteran, Ted Ullrich, evened the scoring for Sapperton. In actual fact the Rovers were quite unlucky not to gather all 3 points as missed two glorious scoring opportunities in the late stages of the match. First, Shane Mummery hit the goal post on a penalty kick and then Trevor Todd missed the open net on a header. The defending champions Westside Rino, even though they lost one game, got off to a more impressive start by winning two of their matches--against the Sapperton Rovers and Columbus FC--by decisive margins. The Westside loss came at the hands of another title favourite ICSF Inter by a narrow 1-0 margin. This past weekend, in a cross-over match, Westside shut out the renamed Columbus FC (formerly AC Milan) by a 2-0 score with Nenad Stojanovic and Craig Chiasson each scored a goal. Newcomer Stojanovic's goal was a thing of beauty as he dribbled past a Columbus defender before blasting a terrific shot from the edge of the penalty box. Columbus' young team showed a lot of energy and tenacity and could easily have scored on a couple of occasions had it not been for the outstanding goalkeeping of veteran Mike Wicken. Despite the fine effort, Columbus remains pointless and in a last place tie in Group 'B' with newly promoted Clan Alumni.

TEAM OF THE WEEK:

PLAYER OF THE WEEK: GRAEME MAGOWAN of Surrey United for his superlative performance--both defensively and offensively--in his team's thrilling 3-2 victory over ICSF Inter. For his efforts Magowan will receive a prize of a pizza for two, compliments of PAZZO TRATTORIA AND LOUNGE. The pizza must be consumed on the premises and is available anytime, except for Mondays, up to 2003-06-10.

The PLOW is still from last years Provincial cup. :rolleyes: I want my Pizza from week two damn it.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We haven't lost yet and it's a mediocre start?

Westside loses a game but are off to a more impressive start?

Go back to Italy for another month, William!

:rolleyes:

~Regs.

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
At least he mentioned you Regs. He only referred to us as being tied for last place and battling for relegation after 3 games. Actually, he has ignored most of the teams on side B. Fcuking wank:mad:

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by knvb
WEEK #3 -- 2003-09-22

The defending champions Westside Rino, even though they lost one game, got off to a more impressive start by winning two of their matches--against the Sapperton Rovers and Columbus FC--by decisive margins. The Westside loss came at the hands of another title favourite ICSF Inter by a narrow 1-0 margin.

SO,
beating Columbus 2-0 is decisive....losing 1-0 is narrow.
That second goal IS HUGE

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought it was rather well written:eek:

KNVB, I 'll give a piece of pizza seeing as you and Blakes didn't mark me on my superlative goal:D

John

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cheers. Who knew you needed marking? Normaly you just go ahead and give it right back the more time you have with it.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
KNVB,

Right again................I believe you did get it right back, after Smiles got it out of the back of the net!

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ouch, didn't see that coming. Kind-of like I didn't see you not kicking the ground before the ball coming.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Touche. You mean like how I didn't see you on the park afterwards.

Well it only took 3 weeks to get a "weekly report". I guess that means we might see an important notice soon too:rolleyes:

John

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's the rest of the report KNVB didn't have access to :rolleyes:

Also near the top of Group 'A' we find SportsTown Firemen and ICSF Inter. As noted earlier, SportsTown dropped the season opener to Pegasus FC by a narrow 4-3 margin, but came back to defeat the Sapperton Rovers 3-1 and, this past weekend, the inconsistent ICSF Inter--also by a 3-1 score. Brian VanSchagen had given Inter the early lead on a rocket of a shot from a distance of at least 25 metres. However, SportsTown was not to be denied and came storming back and got the equalizer before the halftime whistle on a well-taken penalty kick by Peter Bergholtz. Early in the second half, SportsTown took the lead on yet another penalty kick--this one taken by Chris Jarvie. Midfielder Justin Student, a standout throughout the match, capped off a fine individual performance by scoring the insurance marker late in the game. In the final Group 'A' match of the week, the Metro-Ford Wolves had to settle for a 1-1 tie against the winless Indo FC in a game played Friday evening at Mundy Park. The Wolves took the lead on a fine goal by young Donald Kambere but a very late Indo FC goal--on a header by Pammi Birring--spoiled the festivities for the Metro-Ford team. Previously, Metro-Ford had defeated Khalsa SC in a cross-over game and lost 3-1 to an inspired ICSF Inter in the season opener. Indo FC, on the other hand, had lost both its first two games: 2-0 to Trollers FC and 4-2 to Pegasus FC.

At the top of the Group 'B' table we find Sporting Club and Burnaby Canadians in a two-way tie with 7 points each, followed by Surrey United and Trollers FC with 6 points. Last season's league finalists, Sporting Club, got off to a good start to the 2003-04 season by clobbering Columbus 5-1, but then slipped considerably in tying the surprising Burnaby Canadians 1-1 and then edging the winless Clan Alumni 2-1. Against Clan Alumni, Sporting got goals by Carlos Batista and Ryan Dormer to secure all 3 points. Romeo Cuter replied for Clan. In the meantime, at Cloverdale Athletic Park, the Burnaby Canadians pulled off a bit of an upset by defeating the defending provincial champions Surrey United by a 2-1 margin. A very late goal by Mike Gahan gave the Canadians all 3 points. Burnaby's John Peterson scored the opening goal on a blistering drive from about 30 metres, a shot that totally fooled Surrey's fine goalkeeper Drew Smiley. Todd Stauber tied the game up with a well-taken shot from the edge of the penalty area. Surrey could easily have taken the lead shortly thereafter but Joe Deacon's penalty kick was saved by Burnaby's goalkeeper Cory Breure. In previous matches, Surrey United had edged Khalsa SC by a 3-2 score and Columbus FC 5-4. Not a great start to the season for the provincial cup champions, a team that is preparing for the nationals!

Also near the top of the Group 'B' standings, we find Trollers FC. The former West Van Legion team got off to a great start to the season by shutting out Indo FC 2-0 and Clan Alumni 4-0 before dropping a 1-0 decision to Khalsa SC. On the other hand, Khalsa got off to a shaky start by losing 3-2 to Surrey United and 3-0 to Metro-Ford Wolves. However, against the previously unbeaten Trollers, Khalsa got a great goal from Bobby Thornton to gain its first 3 points of the season.

TEAM OF THE WEEK: BURNABY CANADIANS for its gutsy performance against the Provincial Cup champions, Surrey United. Although plagued by numerous injuries, the Canadians managed to defeat Surrey by a 2-1 margin.

PLAYER OF THE WEEK: JOHN PETERSON of Burnaby Canadians for his superlative performance--both defensively and offensively--in his team's thrilling 2-1 victory over Surrey United. Peterson's opening goal was a thing of beauty--one of the best seen in many years. For his efforts Peterson will receive a prize of a pizza for two, compliments of PAZZO TRATTORIA AND LOUNGE. The pizza must be consumed on the premises and is available anytime, except for Mondays, up to 2003-10-19.
Why is Burnaby 'surprising'?

And congrats to John for the POTW honours... too bad William couldn't come up with some new material in describing your goal... the exact same description was used for Randall's bike vs Surrey last year... must be a Slurrey thing :rolleyes:

~Regs.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh, fcuk come on. It was a nice shot admitadly, but "one of the best seen in many years." let's be honest.

knvbtiredofpeoplegettinggreatgoalsagainsthisteam.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Soft Spot for Smiles

"Burnaby's John Peterson scored the opening goal on a blistering drive from about 30 metres, a shot that totally fooled Surrey's fine goalkeeper Drew Smiley."

Looks like Azzi still fancies Smiles, even though he is with Surrey now, but really, how good of a shot was it if it FOOLED Smiles from 30 meters out.

FireTown should have got team of the weak with the big win over Inter, especially since Inter had just beat the ever strong Westside.

Randells bike last year at Kinsman, is still one of the best I have ever seen live, and the cheers and beers after, it brings chills to my spine and liver.

hos

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think fooled is definitely the wrong word to use. The only fool around here is HOS and the fact he feels the need to comment on anything that is Surrey United. I'm glad to see your ONE win this year has gathered up all the confidence the last two err...three counting the CAT team drubbings took away. TTP wasn't the same with-out you.

John's "blistering drive" just plain beat an out stretched Drew. It was really moving and still on it's way up when it went in. Drew did get a hand on it but it was just hit too well. If he did miss though, Langley would have received a new game ball.

Hardly worth a Pizza. ;)

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lets Go Clan

Originally posted by knvb
The only fool around here is HOS

I know you are, but what am I.

I was making a comment about the report, not about Surrey United or any of the twats that play for the Club.
What I really want to know, Can knvb score on anyone beside Columbus, or are you going to ride that 4 goal performance all year long.

May have to come out and cheer on Clan on Monday night.

hos

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll ride it for a while then we get to play Khalsa one more time. Can you only shut out the Trollups or are you going to let in 3 goals a game for the rest of the year?

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
three former "Idiots" with PLOW honours in 2003.
oh what could have been....:rolleyes:
i'm predicting a PLOW for Willy, Ginger or Kippax before the year is up.:D
p.s. indo over burnaby this weekend.:rolleyes:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It takes something away from the honour...

PLAYER OF THE WEEK: JOHN PETERSON of Burnaby Canadians for his superlative performance--both defensively and offensively--in his team's thrilling 2-1 victory over Surrey United.

PLAYER OF THE WEEK: GRAEME MAGOWAN of Surrey United for his superlative performance--both defensively and offensively--in his team's thrilling 3-2 victory over ICSF Inter

Good job of cutting and pasting. Superlative is a word I use often :rolleyes: and at least we know the POW plays in a thrilling game and allegedly plays defense and offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts