Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

AMSL 2008 - Banter, Etc...

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just hope they don't get champion shirts again, as I don't have any room left in my closet for another shirt!:D

as if you don't already have them made :rolleyes: congrats YG...quite the record

beernuts vs. slappers tonight at bby Lake turf with bdgc vs. dragons afterwards

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Holy cow talk about high scoring affairs for the two semi-final games in "A" cup. A total of 21 goals scored in two games, reminds of the mid-nineties when there used to be no defense played! Is it true that there was a very late and questionable PK called in last night's semi between BDGC and Dragons? Not sure which team it was called against but heard that it was pretty much the last play of the game! Congrats to Beernuts for again going to the "B" final, it's always a pleasure to play after them!

hard ballz

Sep 18, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BDGC had a peno called against them in probably the last 5 seconds of the game and the Dragons tied it and won it in OT. Very entertaining game to watch. Dragons actually fought back from a few goals down a few times in the game.....way to fight back....see u guys on Sunday.

p.s...watch your legs Walks!;)

Hard Ballz

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
the carts vs. dragons game was NUTS!! very entertaining! worth the headache from screaming...ha ha

i missed the pk call...i looked just as he was pointing to the spot...couldn't believe it. :eek:

good luck to all on sunday

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
But the million dollar question is....did a female take the pk?

Yes one did - people then to call her by her initials. But I heard that originally it looked like a guy was going to take it, but BDGC stated out loud that it had to be a girl so initials took it and finished it. Even after Herb told her right before the shot that the game ends after the shot and that if she doesn't score, her season is over. No pressure, big guy. Gotta love Herbie! :D

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes one did - people then to call her by her initials. But I heard that originally it looked like a guy was going to take it, but BDGC stated out loud that it had to be a girl so initials took it and finished it. Even after Herb told her right before the shot that the game ends after the shot and that if she doesn't score, her season is over. No pressure, big guy. Gotta love Herbie! :D

and a fine job she did on that pk

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Finals have been set

12:00pm Wanderers vs. Shadow FC C Cup Final
2:00pm Beernuts vs. Orange Crushed B Cup Final
4:00pm YG Inc vs. Dragons A Cup Final

I showed up at the Barely There vs. Orange Crushed game close to half time tonight and it was 1-1. The game ended 6-2 for OC :eek:

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Actually that is an "unwritten rule" that a female has to take the pk. I was curious what would happen if the season was on the line and a pk was called. Would the "unwritten rule" be followed? Not exactly a tough decision though when you have KJ in your line-up!

For those who like to study the AMSL game, only if the game went to shootout, would a female have to take the first PK.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well I'm glad to see that finally all the league executives will be partaking in the sunday finals!

Scheduler Gerry Karvelis
Secretary Melanie Mele
Treasurer Warren Spence
Allocator Herb Nijjer

I can't remember the last time that this has happened. I do know that Herb has been to the finals the most out of everyone though!:D As for my thought's I would just like to say that, everyone has done another great job in running the league. As for Herb, another great job in getting us field's, as I know it's hard to do in the summer with all the other sport league's (baseball, ultimate frisbee and of course other soccer leagues). As for reffing as entertaining as his at times, maybe it's time for Herb to retire the whistle and put in in the AMSL hall of fame! Look forward to Sunday and bringing my appetite along, as YG, Beernuts and Dragons are all known for having great bbq's after their games!:cool:

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The AMSL wouldn't be the AMSL without him. If people are still complaining about his refereeing then they have a problem. Everyone should know him by now and deal with the good and bad calls. He knows he's not perfect and so should everyone else.

It's just co-ed

Favourite line of Herb's after one of our games:

"I'm going to trade this empty beer can in for a full one OK?"

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well I'm glad to see that finally all the league executives will be partaking in the sunday finals!

Scheduler Gerry Karvelis
Secretary Melanie Mele
Treasurer Warren Spence
Allocator Herb Nijjer

I can't remember the last time that this has happened. I do know that Herb has been to the finals the most out of everyone though!:D As for my thought's I would just like to say that, everyone has done another great job in running the league. As for Herb, another great job in getting us field's, as I know it's hard to do in the summer with all the other sport league's (baseball, ultimate frisbee and of course other soccer leagues). As for reffing as entertaining as his at times, maybe it's time for Herb to retire the whistle and put in in the AMSL hall of fame! Look forward to Sunday and bringing my appetite along, as YG, Beernuts and Dragons are all known for having great bbq's after their games!:cool:

Thanks Conductor! :p

Congrats to YG Inc. Beernuts and Shadow FC for winning the Cups! I was so sad to miss out on the games and the festivities afterwards. I hear it was a fantastic day for footy, even though it rained on the Nuts game :eek:

Herb - I heard a little bit of rumbling about his retirement (from him) but it has not been confirmed. If it is the case, it will be a sad day. He is the reason we get fields, and he puts a ton of time into every season and we all know how difficult it is to find fields, let alone get decent times and dates.
He will be missed, but, we all know he will be around the pitch no matter what as we are his "family" as he has stated on numerous occasions!

I would like to thank Dial 9-1-1 for all his time and effort that he puts into this League. Sure, i input scores and help out with a few decisions, but Dial puts in a lot of his time in making sure everything runs smoothly, so CHEERS DIAL!!

Have a great rest of the summer everyone, and I'm sure I'll see some of you in Kamloops on the long weekend!

striker14 :wa:

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would like to say congrats to YG for winning the 'A' cup again. What's that 6 times out of 7 years not a bad winning %. This year though they did it as the 6th ranked team coming into the playoffs. Having to knock off #3 seed Cheatside in the 1/4 finals, then #1 seed Beefeaters in the semi's and #2 ranked Dragons in the finals! Not sure if a team ranked that low has ever won in co-ed? Reg's and KNVB the Dragons could have used you guy's in the final! As for Vernon that is on the 9th and 10th of August, just curious as to what teams are in it from here? I heard there is 16 teams in the tournament up there!

dirtydiggler

Feb 22, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
A few BDGCers are supposed to be going to Vernon but our numbers are dwindling.

If we can pick up a few more guys and gals, we're in. If not, who knows.....? Beer garden???

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
This year (YG) did it as the 6th ranked team coming into the playoffs...Not sure if a team ranked that low has ever won in co-ed?

I'll check the league archives to see if it has ever happened before.:rolleyes:

As for the playoffs this year, there were a handful of cards (a few of them reds for dangerous/serious fouls), but they were all at the B and C Cup level.

I thought the three playoff games I played in were very low key with minimal "try-hardness." We were lucky to knock off Cheatside coming from behind twice. We also caught them on a night when they were missing their keeper. If they had #29 in goal, it very likely would have been a different outcome. They have a great team so it was nice knocking off the defending champs on our way to star #10.

The Beefeaters game was wide open but some of the verbal abuse Herb took was embarrassing. If I do decide to stick around next year in this position, then it will be on the condition that there be zero tolerance for abuse towards officials with automatic suspensions and fines. If you feel that the refereeing in this league is not up to your high standards...then get lost and find a league that will meet your high expectations. We don't need you. Really.

With that being said, the overwhelming majority of cards and suspensions this year (again) came in the B ("Recreational") group. I love the irony of how teams complain about having to play in the "competitive" A Group, yet poor sportsmanship and dangerous play is most prevalent in the B (and former C) groups.

As for the Dragons game, we caught them when they were missing a lot of players, most notably Gomesy and Notty, while we had line-changes. It wasn't anything like our final against them two years ago. Kudos to their keeper. I thought he was outstanding making a number of point blank saves.

Anyhow, cheers to you as well, Striker, and thanks again for all your help this year.

If anyone has recommendations for next year, please post on this thread.

Items for next year's AGM agenda include: Expansion, division realignment, paying fees ahead of time, discipline, forfeitures, opening tourney--yes or no?, and roster deadlines.

Balsa

Mar 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
With that being said, the overwhelming majority of cards and suspensions this year (again) came in the B ("Recreational") group. I love the irony of how teams complain about having to play in the "competitive" A Group, yet poor sportsmanship and dangerous play is most prevalent in the B (and former C) groups.

Are you surprised? As a player in this division I can almost guarentee that most cards are generally repeat offenders. Likely players that will never play at a better level. I witnessed one player threaten to run another player over with his truck in a rage that was way over the top. He never received a card for that threat (Yes there was a scuffle before that if anyone is silly enough to defends his actions). A different guy on the same team received a RED later in the game and then attempted to play the next game (semi final). His team was outraged that our team said no, I understand someone on that team is even on the committee. Most players receiving cards are men who act is if this league was the World Cup, I think that is where the "try hard" phrase comes into play. Possible solution is to deal with repeat offenders with stiff suspensions and a possible exclusion from the league. From what I understand there are plenty of players that would love to be part of this league.

As for teams complaining about better competition I think it is justified in some cases as there is simply a large difference in talent on the top competitive teams. Our team for example has 3 ladies who I don't think ever played soccer until they joined this league. As much as I personally would love to play better soccer some nights it also would be no fun to get lumped. Not much fun for the better teams to win by a dozen every night either. I think the format this year was very good.

On a positive note this is a great league and I enjoy being part of it. Overall all the players in both divisions are out there for a good time. Nothing is ever perfect and that is what makes things interesting. :D

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
A different guy on the same team received a RED later in the game and then attempted to play the next game (semi final). His team was outraged that our team said no, I understand someone on that team is even on the (discipline) committee.

Yes...and then I received an email requesting that he be able to play in the final as well since "he already missed a game" and "two games for a red card is harsh punishment---it's only one game for a red in men's league."

I love reading emails like this. Responding to them is almost as fun.

Someone else from this team then received a red in the final...about ten minutes into the game. It looks like they learned a valuable lesson.

Most players receiving cards are men

Except for that "woman" on Aftershock who got in Herb's face and dared Herb to give her a red card.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0