Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

American Memorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just saw a ticker on TV that said Alex Zanardi lost both legs in a crash during today's race... Anyone have further info?

Carpentier (sp?) finished third as Brack took the checkered flag.

~TB.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Damn. You're right.

LAUSITZ, Germany (September 15, 2001) - Two-time CART racing champion Alex Zanardi, 34, of Bologna, Italy, was in critical condition at Berlin's Klinikum Berlin-Marzahn hospital Saturday as a result of injuries sustained in a late-race accident during The American Memorial CART event at Lausitz, Germany.

According to Dr. Steve Olvey, CART Director of Medical Affairs, Zanardi was airlifted to Klinikum Berlin-Marzahn hospital following a two-car accident with Alex Tagliani, which occurred as Zanardi exited the pit lane following his final fuel stop on the 142nd of 154 laps. He underwent a three-hour procedure that resulted in the traumatic amputation of both legs above the knee.
That must have been a horrid crash to ruin one's legs badly enough to require amuputation. I'm sure we've all seen incredible crashes where the guy walks away. I can't imagine what this one was like.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My initial reaction to that collision was the same as my reaction to Greg Moore's crash. It shakes you up.

But how much sympathy can you really have. This is the most dangerous sport in the world. At over 200 mph this is fcukin dangerous, no matter what you are in-the body cannot take that punishment.

They all know the risks.:(

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am a fan of motorsports and have attended all The Vancouver events and have been to the F1 in Montreal once. I have seen a few thrilling crashes. Greg Moores left a knot in the pit of your gut. Zanardi's also horrible and gut turning.

I agree with WAB, this really shakes you up but look at the inherent risks involved in racing at 200 plus mph.:(

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Prediction - Cursed Event

I think that the German (American Memorial) 500 will be a cursed event. Every other major US sporting event was cancelled. This is CART, not F1, and they should not have run the race.

Look for more tragedies in the years to come.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WAB,

It was going great, right up until that point. I'd be curious to hear excactly what happend to Zanardi to make him spin like that. Did something break? Driver error? I feel bad for Zinardi. He was basically coaxed out of retirement by Mo Nunn, and has always been afraid of ovals, and now this happens. What a shitty way to end an already crappy week. Hopefully things will go better next week in England.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From what I understand, he simply accelerated a little too quickly out of the pits, lost control momentarily, fish-tailed a bit, and that's when . . . well, you know the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0