Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Alex McKechnie

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was anyone listening to TSN1040 yesterday afternoon for the Seceres and Price show? They were broadcasting from Park Vancouver on the site of the BC Sports Hall of Fame induction ceremony. I listened from about 3:45 till 6:00 on my drive back home, and it was the best couple of hours in a long, long time.

Guests were all inductees; guys like Tony Gallagher (who I will listen to anytime, he’s better on radio than print, and that’s saying something), Ryan Dempster (ever listen to him? he’s freaking hilarious…and TWO World Series rings, not bad for a kid from the peninsula), amongst others. The best guest was Alex McKechnie.

My feeling is the TTP Community has been the biggest beneficiary of Alex’s fine work more than any other. Sure, he’s the therapist to the stars now, but back in the day he was the evil genius keeping us all pieced together.

For me, I completely blew up my ankle in my last spring game playing college, but I didn’t see Alex right away. I did some rehab on my own, came back way too early mid-summer, then in my second week in the regular fall season, during training, planted, and snapped both tib and fib down at the same ankle. My own fault for not rehabilitating properly, and made the injury far worse.

6 weeks after recovery from surgery, I got my appointment w/ Alex on a teammate’s recommendation. His clinic in Burnaby (I think where Fortius is now, if I recall?) was like none anywhere else. It was busy, and very active. All the clients were athletes, from footballers, cyclists, to skiers, to baseball guys. Recognizable faces everywhere, at least one Olympian. Unlike other clinics, there was more time spent off the table than on, and he had other therapists (one of the Celebrinis was one of them, Rick I think) following the same plan. Huge focus on balance, and the core, no matter what you were doing. For me, the focus was on the core down as well, not the foot up. Idea being, we would strengthen my balance, my core, and “pre-hab” both legs in the same way. Totally innovative.

I still go back to the same workouts today; really should do them more, but when I feel myself falling apart, I get back on the plan, and sooner than later I’m feeling better again. Fighting off father time a bit, anyhow.

Next thing you know he’s treating Paul Kariya, then Shaq, and is now overseeing the Raptors. The man has been instrumental in turning Western Canada into a leading edge for sports medicine in the world. His legacy is massive.

I doubt Alex reads TTP, but I’m positive a lot of his patients still do. In the case he does make his way here, thanks Alex. You were a big help, and a great resource for me.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, Rico was mentored by Alex at 8 Rinks for years before he left to work some magic on Shaq @ the Lakers... which then led for Rick rehabbing Nash and other professional athlete stars.

Rick & Randy did different stints as Canada Ski physios... Rick & I were roomies in kits way back when and Brian Stemmle stayed with us for a couple of days - never met a more self-centered prick in my life :rolleyes:

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I see him from time to time as he's extremely good friends with one of my partners.

Great guy and a ton of fun.
Glaswegain of course. ;)

My touch of fame with him was he got us in one year to the nightclub at the Mirage when the Lakers were playing the Kings in a pre seaon game in Vegas and he introduced us to a few of the Lakers.
I had a five minute chat with Lamar Odom (Before he went Kardashian) which was cool.

A well deserved award and a better lad than he is a physio.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, you bring a tear to a glass eye. I thought I was that prick. Thanks man.

Years later I went back to his clinic, this time for mu left shoulder wrecked mountain biking then surgery by Dr. Bob McCormack. Alex was in LA by then but the clinic was the same otherwise, and my left shoulder has been better than new since then. No issues at all.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0