Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Alberta Major Soccer League Set-up

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So how does the AMSL actually work? Are teams required to travel throughout the province? How many teams make provincials?

And when exactly does the season start? May?

Cheers,

~Regsfullofquestionstonight.

Dave Randall

Jan 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
So how does the AMSL actually work?

Just likeany other league -- try to kick the others before they kick you

Are teams required to travel throughout the province? How many teams make provincials?
8 teams in lge - 4 in Edm, 3 in Calgary and 1 in Leth - play 14. 3 from N and 3 from S make provs. Can be challenged by non AMSL teams - who rarely do and never win - provs played on Sept long wknd - mini lge to final format
And when exactly does the season start? May?

more or less - depends on when the grass turns GREEN instead of BROWN

great forum - keep it up

Dave Randall
calgarycalliesheadcoachwhoshouldhavewonnationalsbutbollocksedit

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
DR,

Welcome to TTP! :D

That's a lot of travel for league play... how do teams finance it? What do the budgets look like for each team?

Callies - is this the team that used to be called Calgary Celtic? I think I read somewhere that was the case...

Cheers,

~Regs.

Dave Randall

Jan 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's a lot of travel for league play... how do teams finance it? What do the budgets look like for each team?

Close to $15G for the season, financed by fees and fundraising. When we travel to Nationals - 3 in last 4 years - we do a lot of grovelling!!

Callies - is this the team that used to be called Calgary Celtic? I think I read somewhere that was the case...

Yes, we are - we changed for historical and political reasons

I'll spread the word you are actually interested in Albertans views!! Not b4 time I might add as we can play a bit here you know!! We'll see if we can get more opinions going.

DR

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
I'll spread the word you are actually interested in Albertans views!!
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here now shall we :rolleyes:

:D

$15K is an impressive amount of money to come up with... does that include free pints for the lads after training sessions and matches? What's the point if not?

~Regs.

Dave Randall

Jan 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
quote:
Yes, we are - we changed for historical and political reasons

Historical = Callies was actually started in 1904 - one of oldest in Canada - I and others involved used to play for them in the 70's when we came to Canada

Political = Celtic is a zone club/part of Calgary minor that we were affiliated with. They had no vision of senior soccer and couldn't see past 16 for their kids. We now run our own minor program in competition.

DR

Dave Randall

Jan 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
does that include free pints for the lads after training sessions and matches? What's the point if not?

Only after games if they win - great motivator as you know!! They don't need any encouragement after practices.

DR

Dave Randall

Jan 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
What's the Lethbridge team called?
Lethbridge Croatia
Are they any good?
Not sure, we'll see in a couple of weeks at indoor provincials.

Toze

Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
AB Indoor Provincials?

DR,

where and when are they? Are there different levels or 'tiers' competing in different events?

CT

Dave Randall

Jan 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
where and when are they?

Edmonton, March 28-30

Are there different levels or 'tiers' competing in different events?

Yes, there are different levels. Different events include too much drinking and checking out the womens teams!!

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If my sources are correct the reason that larrson hasn't posted is that they didn't do to well in their provincial run.

Looks like Edmonton Green and Gold took the gold and Calgary Dino's with the silver.

Cheers
JB

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts